Home

Memorable Pen and Paper RPG Experiences

ForeverNight

Debated about putting this in the Outlander, but that says Video Game in the title so here it shall go.

I've been hyped about PnP RPG's lately, prolly just excitement about finally getting a campaign running, and decided that since the KotOR section seemed to lack this type of thread I'd make one.

This is, as the title so clearly states, a place to type up any memorable experience you've had in a PnP RPG. Whether it's memorable because it sucked or because it was awesome doesn't matter, just that it was memorable.

I have 2 to share off the bat:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
This is using ADD2.0 Rules, I'm DM'ing for two friends and they were finally getting to do a little bit o' Dragon Slaying. One of them was playing a lvl. 12 Rogue and the other was a lvl. 11 Paladin. (Simply referred to P and R for ease of use)

P was leading the charge with his holy sword (+5 Holy Avenger, a longsword with a bonus on characters of the evil alignment) at the ready and he knew that the dragon was in this cave I'd designed at the beginning of this campaign just for the purpose of dragon slaying. He's running along and skids to a stop right in the middle of an open cavern... and sees the dragon... and fails his saving throw vs. DragonFear. The rogue succeeds in the saving throw and, after initiative throws gets to go first. He fires off a few crossbow bolts at the dragon, but doesn't land a hit.

The dragon lazily looks at the paladin and just leans down and swallows him whole, ignoring the rogue. The paladin succeeds in his next saving throw however and gets to act next round.

Basically we've got the sequence from the original Men in Black going on except with a dragon as opposed to a giant cockroach. (Very memorable, especially as I made the dragon roll vs. intelligence in order to not eat the paladin... and it failed it horribly.)

Needless to say I felt a little inadequate as a DM after that fiasco.

Show spoiler
Again with ADD2.0, same guys, different characters, same world.

Now we have a lvl. 5 Human Fighter that's got some damn impressive fighting stats (18/00 in Strength, 16 Constitution and 16 Dexterity) But got horrible rolls in everything else (8 Intelligence, 6 Wisdom, and 9 Charisma) as a side note I was using the 3d6 method of rolling stats. The guy who was playing the rogue was now playing as an Elven druid... and he was more even with the stats, in the neighborhood of 14 or so for each stat.

Anyway, the fighter is pissed of at this one nation because their army killed his father during a recent war. So he enlists the help of the elf and they hitch hike their way to the coast and stow aboard a ship headed the right direction -barely missing several tropical diseases and discovery by some impressive throws- and they get to the capitol where the king of this nation is making a speech. (Where else to kill him?)

Anyways, through some more impressive throws -I was checking for weighted dice at this point in time- they eventually get in with a local gang that isn't pleased at society in general and want to kill the king too. They sneak into the speech area and the druid uses every spell in his arsenal at that point in time and manages to -eventually- kill the king. However, before he died he shouted out "GET THAT ELF!" to his guards.

I made the fighter roll vs. intelligence......

:ugh:

He rolled a nat 1, that coupled with his negative bonus meant that he turned to kill the exhausted elf and led the charge. He then fought with the elf, who managed to survive longer than I would've thought possible and killed him.

The king had no heir now -some of the druid's AOE spells managed to kill the little one and the Queen- so that left no one in the line of succession. So, the guard played kingmaker and guess who got to be king?

Yep, after a few more damn impressive rolls -I was so ticked at the Dice-Gods at this point- the fighter became the king of this land.

God, that campaign sucked so badly that, after recovering from our laughter, we scuttled it and made an entirely new world... and it doesn't have as many funny stories.

Jae: "You come across an arch sculpted to look like a demon..."

Devon :"What kind of demon?"

Jae: "It doesn't matter. It's just a demon arch."

Devon: "I use my intelligence and Lore to find out what kind!"

Jae: "It's not that specific and doesn't matter. It's just a damn archway!"

Devon: "But I'm a sorcerer and should know what kind, Jae!"

*Thirty minutes later*

Jae: "Devon... it really doesn't matter..."

Devon: "BUT I MUST KNOW!!! HOW CAN WE NOT KNOW?!?!?!?!?one!"

Yea, I paraphrased the **** out of that, but whatever.

Too many to list... (Some off the top of my head)

Show spoiler
AD&D 2E, At a Con I was in a scheduled game that had pre-made characters... I was handed a Pally (the laughter from my friends was epic as I am anything but a Pally player) but there was something odd about this Pally... 4 INT...

I played it up... I went all Dudley Do-Right with him all hero no brain... needless to say the GM running it and the people playing it were laughing more than everyone else was in the large convention center room combined! ;)

The end fight we were supposed to stealthily enter the dragons cave... but no one bothered to tell me we were sneaking... so I drew my Holy Avenger and charged in yelling "Dragon! Oh Dragon!"

The near party wipe was epic! :lol:

Show spoiler
AD&D 2E Forgotten Realms, level 12-ish party, Wyrm Red Dragon lair (thrice HD and thrice damage)... there was some mis-communication when assaulting the dragon and our rogue was out of commission so our Fighter bravely (well as bravely as he could) jumped off of a ledge onto the dragons back, the dragon turned and looked at our fighter face to face so to speak... a coup-de-gras... he knew he was dead, we all knew he was dead... so what does he do for his last act? He drops his weapons and grabs the dragons muzzle and plants a kiss on it (rolled a natural 20, yes she was a she) Love at first kiss... the dragon quite confused teleported away.

From that adventure onward there was a beautiful Red headed Elf Maiden always stalking our fighter and making advances, he even got plagued with it in cons.

Show spoiler
Star Wars D6, me playing, same player of fighter from above playing his Tusken Raider (No Name), well Tatooine, Mos Eisley, we were out snagging a bounty and got crossed with Mr. Boba Fett and Jodo Cast, we played a round of 'hot potato' when Cast tossed one into our little fray, in the end it was tossed around 12 times and Cast ended up taking the blast. Mr. Fett ended up attempting to flee in a speeder, and got quite a bit of pain from No Name...

Show spoiler
FASA Star Trek RPG, commanding a Federation Merchant Marine TUG around 'The Triangle' lets just say she wasn't 'stock' ;) (Can't remember her class, the one with the standard Saucer and the 2 lower mounted warp engines, Ptolemy maybe? Name was 'The Terminator')

Was hauling 3 cargo pods, when received distress call from Constitution Class Cruiser Defiant, was under attack, dropped the pods (One had 5.6 MCr worth of Romulan Ale on it, MY Romulan Ale!!! Got it back so was all good! :lol: ) went to emergency warp, dropped out and saw the Defiant under attack by 3 Klingon D-7's, almost immediately the Commodore on the Defiant was warning us off... raised my shields (Heavy Cruiser Generator), armed my dual FP-1's (Photon Torpedoes) and my 3 standard Phaser Banks then let rip on the nearest D-7 (when it had lessened its aft shields to reinforce its forward ones), my first salvo outright destroyed it the other 2 were already damaged by the Defiant and fled the field, my Captains reply to the Commodore was "I'm sorry Sir, you said something? Repeat your message please?"

After a full 30 seconds the reply was "Nevermind! Thank you for your help Captain."

Needless to say I was drafted by Starfleet very quickly after that! :lol: The Terminator was upgraded to an Avenger Heavy Frigate, needless to say those contacts in 'The Triangle' I had made were very handy later on. ;)

Show spoiler
TNMNT RPG/Ninjas & Super Spies RPG Palladium System, Me GM-ing, our Team of hero's was a Mutant female Skunk, male Wolf, male Polar Bear, female Mink, male Rhino, male Lion.

I was doing a free-form game the only plot was a guy to stop and they had to get to the bad guy, what was unanticipated was an almost James Bond movie quality the game took on (Picture Spy Who Loved me and Moonraker) they went out of one frying pan and into the fire over and over again... by the time we got to the end we were all flowing so nicely that the end fight seemed anti-climactic so I had to step the bad guy up a notch and then have him get away thusly starting a repeating antagonist for the party, they wanted it more than me, and you know what they say give em what they want. ;)

Show spoiler
Call of Cthulu Chaosium System, playing a character, my character was patterned after the arch-typical 'Great White Hunter' and carried several Webley pistols and a .780 Nitro Express double rifle, well he also dabbled in the mythos a little, the same friend who played the fighter above also was playing a more "American" version of a hunter, well we were in a cultist house and we were exploring around (what you shouldn't do in that game), we had already dealt with quite a few cultists (instead of staying at the pub drinking, or reading a good book), when we arrived in the basement where it seemed that a ritual of some sort was recently completed... we heard a dog-like baying sound from a corner of the room, now both of us having very little in the way of sanity left, our priest was in the car in the fetal potion sucking his thumb already, we had had enough so instead of some magical way we quickly made a demolitions check (advice to GM's always know what your characters have on them it'll save you pain later on), well between us we had 2 detonators and 7 sticks of TNT, we prepped it and shoved it in that corner set a 30 second fuse and ran our behinds off... the house along with the newly arrived Hound of Tendalos were vaporized.

And yes folks we were completely fine the next gaming session. And had more sticks of TNT! Much to the GM's chagrin. ;)

Our two characters had a new motto "If 7 sticks of TNT can't handle it... we are outta here!"

Call of Cthulu where you would rather throw yourself on a live grenade in lieu of seeing what is behind that closed door! Yet we do it anyway! :lol:

Show spoiler
Stormbringer Chaosium System, player, My Pan-Tangian(?) Warrior Priest had enough power attribute that I could almost instantly summon and bind demons... so to gain chaos points I would 1D20 times during an adventure summon and bind demons into items/weapons and just cast them aside, I also would make most all of the important decisions by the usage of a random die roll... hey I loved gaining Chaos points! :lol:

He was fully decked out too... full cadre of demon items, I miss those games.

Show spoiler
Palladium Fantasy Game, I was GM, Same person who Played above fighter/No Name found a sword in a ruined tower it was a rune weapon. The Sword Death Kiss fed off of life energy and actually didn;t cause pain but pleasure from her wounds, and was intelligent as all rune weapons are with a female persona, now fortunately for Death Kiss, and her new Aberrant warrior wielder he immediately used the sword on a slew of opponents who also were looking for a 'fabled' weapon in the ruins, and the sword said to him "I am so hungry feed me again please!" he immediately came back with "Be patient my dear I'm looking for someone to kill right now!"

I got a feeling of doom from that exchange, but the comeback was something that the sword loved, and yes all he fed her well. ;)

Show spoiler
i once had a tiefling rogue. i was in a town that was being attacked by a dragon... i ran to hide in a building and another player shot an ice ball at the dragon. he comletely missed and shot the building i was in so that i was frozen. after a while they defeated the dragon. when the dragon fell it landed on the building i was in comletely shattering me

Show spoiler
after that i made a halfling ranger... he wasn't very respected (he was a theif). we were exploring a hidden temple and came across another dragon. this time i decided to fight it. as soon as i attacked it ate me. i rolled a wil and woke up in the dragons body (wich was another demension). i saw an orb and attacked it. strangley enough that killed the dragon... no help from the other players

those are both from D&D

Edit:
Show spoiler
this didn't happen to me but i was there... all the players were in a small town (the one with the dragon :xp: this is slightly before). one person walked into a bar and we all followed. when we got there a player (Elf wizard) who has never dranken alchahol in her life ordered a pint of rum... lets just say she got the reward (she actualy did: 50 GP) for the most wasted person in town :xp:

Show spoiler
I remember making up a PnP game with brother in which we used various Star Wars figures. During one of the games, Clone Palpatine and Luke were in a lightsaber fight. After a while my brother moved Palpatine away from the battle to prevent him from being killed. Unfortunately (For him), he thought that Dash Rendar was on his team so he moved him to where Dash was. I promptly shot Palpatine point blank in the face. :xp:

Let's see--from my current campaign with my family:

The name of my hubby's halfling rogue/wizard: Bono Hairfoot. Yes, he has hairy feet.

Me playing the very young black dragon that was the very first boss the family faced, and taunting Bono and the kids' 2 paladins. "Noak flame you and eat you!! You not survive Noak's acid breath!!" The taunting went on for some minutes as the halfling cast a spell and the paladins prepared for their attacks. Noak rolled a 1 and sputtered on the acid breath failure. Paladins both rolled 20s, and made their criticals. End of Noak.... The party renamed the paladin who made the final blow "Brom Dragonslayer".

My favorite story--a friend of mine was playing a Wu Jen in an Oriental campaign. When it came time to pick a taboo, he said, "I choose to not wear anything that's a mauvey shade of pinky-russet". Months and levels go by. My friend has all but forgotten about the taboo. The DM never mentions it. They kill a particularly nasty boss, and it drops a magic obi (belt) that the Wu Jen really wanted badly. He reaches for it. The DM grins wickedly and says, "It's a mauvey shade of pinky-russet". My friend groaned and smacked his forehead.

Okay, this may not be that funny, but we all thought it was at the time.

So we're playing Star Wars (the old D20 edition), and the party are exploring a derelict ship that's been overrun by slavers.

So we split up into two groups, figuring it'll be the quickest way to search the ship, but we keep an open comm-link throughout. I'm leading one half of the party, when we hear blaster fire over the comm.

Concerned, I ask the player on the other end if everything's ok. There's no response, and we hear a small explosion, followed by screaming and shouting.

Me: Are you ok? Do you need a hand?

Player: Very funny! I've just blown my arm off!

Show spoiler
this is yet another crazy event from my neighbors campaign.... all of the characters were at a feast. my hobbit (loving food :xp: ) started sneaking food into his backpack for later. about two game days later we came across a cave. i went in and found the dragonborne prince. turns out he hates halflings.... he attacked me and summoned a dragon to protect him. without thinking i pulled out a turkey leg and threw it at the prince. sure enough the dragon chased the leg and ended up eating the prince along with the leg :lol:

Show spoiler
D&D 3.5, I'm playing a half-elf thief and the rest of the party is the usual mix of a fighter/wizard/cleric. we've the the uber-traditional dungeon party basically.

Anyway, a friend is DM'ing and, to clear this up right of the bat, the guy is a bit of a joker. So, we reach a treasure chest in the middle of a room -like that ever happens- and I check it for traps. Turns out I crit-failed the check (DM was rolling dice :'() and reported that the chest was clear after the DM told me that.

So, the fighter barrels past me -forcing me away from the chest- and opens it up.

Several arrows -poison and other fun variants- hit him and the rest of the party. After rolling damage -we'd been wounded in a running fight with some orcs prior and the Cleric was out of healing spells- it turns out that they all died of those wounds.

Stunned silence.

"You ************!" The fighter yelled followed by several other enraged comments in the same vein by the rest of the party.

After it had died out my first question to the DM was: "So, what was in the chest?"

"Nothing."

"You ************!" The fighter yelled again, this time at the DM instead of me. We all joined in with him on this one.

My second question: "So, do I get their stuff?"

"You ************* *******"

Yes, the fighter had a bit of a foul-mouth on him... thankfully we weren't at my place

I remember playing once as a warrior. The rest of my party was attacked by werewolves and they become cursed as well. Fortunately they could control themselves and not eat people ;)

After some time the village we were in was cursed. So our party was sent to find the one responsible. But then I said I was too weak, the rest could turn into werewolves, regenerate themselves and so on... So I told them I want to become a werewolf too in order to save the village.

- Are you sure?

- Bring it on, before I change my mind!

GM: You feel your body changing. In a second you are higher then other werewolves, your eyes are all black, your claws are long as knives... You go into a rage.

- What? The rest looked differently and I should have made my will save with my roll and not go into rage.

GM: I shall teach you to change someone into a werewolf in a cursed place.

Nobody remembered that the village we were going to save from curse was cursed...

Another campaign. Custom world with heavily modified D&D rules. I play as a tiefling warrior so after some time I gained special ability: Fighting Trance, gives plenty of bonuses in sword fight. My friend played as a aasimar druid and after some time he gained special ability: Unity with Element, gave him control over one element at his will without using any spells. The other friend was playing as dwarven warrior, and he had no special abilities :p

We met a boss and the fight started. Initiative check. I start.

- I go into fighting trance. - I'm out of fight for 1 round.

Next is druid.

- I become Unity with the Element. - He's out of fight for 1 round.

Next the dwarf.

- I don't have any special abilities so I attack the boss...

Roll of 20. Critical hit confirmed. Damage roll: Unique Dwarven Axe 2d12 = 20 + 6(Str), critical hit damage x3. Damage dealt = 78. Boss is dead (he had 69 HP while our team average was below 20).

GM: I hate you. It was such a fine boss...

A Series of Possesed Hobbit Related Events

D&D 4.0

Show spoiler
my hobbit was with a small qroup searching for the "armor of earth". we wre in a jungle area and we came across a bridge. we started crossing and 2 shadow stalkers appeared. after we killed them amulets apeared in there place. my hobbit (being a thief) picked one up and turned to stone. he was released by an elf using magic on him.

Show spoiler
shortly after we came to a temple. when we entered we were attacked by a reptilian beast. after the battle its body turned into a black jewel. the wizard of the group picked it up and his hand turned grey.

"Hmm... Definitly evil" he said throwing the crystal away. my hobbit picked it up thinking he could sell it. he then became possesed. the same elf once again saved him

Show spoiler
after that we came across the armor of earth... it was mounted on an alter. my hobbit ran to it as fast as he could. when he put it on it shrunk down to his size. then the armor turned into a dragon... yep... it ate me :xp:

Archived