Home

Native audio formats used by DOTT

NovaCoder

Hiya,

I working on an Amiga port of DOTT and need to know the audio formats for speech/fx and music.

It appears that the music is stored in TENTACLE.001 in (I assume) MIDI format?

And the speech/SFX is stored in MONSTER.SOU, no idea of the format though.

THanx :)

Update:

I think it may be in RAW PCM format which is apparently a WAV file without the header info. I haven't actually managed to load any of my ripped PCM files yet though?

Update x2:

Ok looks like it's 'Raw PCM signed 16bit, little endian, 5500 Hz, 88 kbps, mono' (which is very low). I think this file might be off the PC floppy version though...hopefully the PC CDROM version is a bit better!

Music is in format 2 MIDI. Check the engines/scumm/imuse directory of the ScummVM source code for how to interpret the imuse specific commands. The monster.sou file should contain a bunch of VOC files. I believe Scummrev over at Lucashacks (Mojo hosted site) can extract them.

Ok looks like it's 'Raw PCM signed 16bit, little endian, 5500 Hz, 88 kbps, mono' (which is very low).
It is VOC, mostly 22050 Hz, 8 bit, mono, but there are also a few 11025 Hz files. The floppy version is 11025 Hz throughout.

And there actually is an old ScummVM version for Amiga OS3 which can run DOTT. The Adlib-Emulation might be slow on weaker machines, though.

It is VOC, mostly 22050 Hz, 8 bit, mono, but there are also a few 11025 Hz files. The floppy version is 11025 Hz throughout.

And there actually is an old ScummVM version for Amiga OS3 which can run DOTT. The Adlib-Emulation might be slow on weaker machines, though.

Hiya,

Ok thanks for the info :)

Yep this port is based on one of those other Amiga OS3 ports. I'm just trying to improve the sound quality and program performance.

• 3 weeks later...
The Adlib-Emulation might be slow on weaker machines, though.

If I can't get my Amiga MUS player working (see my other thread) I might have to use the Midi to Adlib driver to create digital sound instead. What kind of quality of digital samples does the Adlib driver create...anyone know?

Eg 22050 Hz, 8 bit, mono?

• 3 years later...
If I can't get my Amiga MUS player working (see my other thread) I might have to use the Midi to Adlib driver to create digital sound instead. What kind of quality of digital samples does the Adlib driver create...anyone know?

Eg 22050 Hz, 8 bit, mono?

Can I bump an old thread, got the audio working ok now :rolleyes:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Archived