Home

The Worst of High School Abominations? (Alcohol, Sex, Drugs)

Exile007

As the daughter of a diplomat I grew up in a somewhat privileged environment but yet exposed to varied environments (cultural and economical) across several countries & continents and the only thing I can say (or able to say at the moment) about it tonight is that I'm with Sithy & Evil Q on this one: intolerance caused by ignorance (which can lead, IMHO, to some of the other effects listed above: drugs, alcohol, violence, etc. ).

Anyway, the worst I've experienced has been in North America as I have felt like a stranger to my own country and culture.

The worst abomination is instruction as to what to think, rather than education in ways of thinking.

A problem which is worsened by an Anglo-Saxon fear of intellectualism and those parts of the commercial media which prop up their distorted world view in an unswerving march towards higher sales figures. Woe betide anyone who questions Eurasia's war with Oceania. For fear of bankruptcy, check your politics at the door.

As to the bullying: That is NOT something the school can really stop. What are they gonna do? The only punishment they have is expulsion. THAT can only be solved with parents not thinking of early school as surrogate parents and taking an ACTIVE role in their children's education. That's something that only parents can solve by being parents.

The worst abomination is instruction as to what to think, rather than education in ways of thinking.

A problem which is worsened by an Anglo-Saxon fear of intellectualism and those parts of the commercial media which prop up their distorted world view in an unswerving march towards higher sales figures. Woe betide anyone who questions Eurasia's war with Oceania. For fear of bankruptcy, check your politics at the door.

Indeed. The youth see teachers as person with authority, and therefore will follow their instruction and imitate their thought.

^^ That or as slimy douchebags full of BS. Thankfully the teachers at my High School are pretty good and my Social Studies/Poli. Sci./Government and Politics/History teacher (Same person, one huge class) encourages thoughtful discussion in her class..... needless to say that this class is filled with people who can think for themselves and from both ends of the political spectrum.... well, we get some seriously heated debates that actually use evidence and warrants!

Otherwise:

I have to agree with Pavlos, Evil Q, Pho3nix and D3. Despite all the good teachers I've had I had a science teacher a few years back that tried to brainwash us all to believe that communism was the only way of government that would work. Despite him being a science teacher he felt he was qualified to teach government and politics and the preach at us. Despite the fact that I believe communism could work (If we weren't human IMHO) this was getting annoying and he was docking points on projects and the like if we disagreed.

The man was smart and I did learn a lot in his class.... but I couldn't STAND his preaching!

Despite all the good teachers I've had I had a science teacher a few years back that tried to brainwash us all to believe that communism was the only way of government that would work. Despite him being a science teacher he felt he was qualified to teach government and politics and the preach at us. Despite the fact that I believe communism could work (If we weren't human IMHO) this was getting annoying and he was docking points on projects and the like if we disagreed.

The man was smart and I did learn a lot in his class.... but I couldn't STAND his preaching!

:lol: You've just described most of my high school teachers. Not that they preached communism, but they did preach. Starting with how most of them thought the subject they teach is the most important and tried to brainwash us into accepting that. Of course, it doesn't mean they were bad teachers, just a little full of themselves.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that the most significant issue depends upon the location you're talking about. I can say that in downtown Chicago that gun violence among high school teens is alarmingly high. This year were some 37 homicides committed by people who still go to high school.

This may stem off of drugs or poverty, but I think violence is the most severe of the issues and would select whatever option that leads to the most gun violence. Smoking and drinking are bad because it affects a large proportion of the population to a small degree. Drugs are significant problems to really a fairly small number of individuals who get involved.

Well, Sex, Alcohol and to a lesser degree recreational drugs never seemed particularly dangerous to me back then and you really can't stop kids from doing them, but the thing we all worried about (escpecially parents) were the teachers. In my 4 years of High School we had 4 different teachers arrested on molestation charges on completely unrelated incidents. A complete fluke, yeah, but that's what I remembered about High School.. sheltered community, kids loved to party, no real violence or gangs, just a handful of pedofiles.

Well, Sex, Alcohol and to a lesser degree recreational drugs never seemed particularly dangerous to me back then and you really can't stop kids from doing them, but the thing we all worried about (escpecially parents) were the teachers. In my 4 years of High School we had 4 different teachers arrested on molestation charges on completely unrelated incidents. A complete fluke, yeah, but that's what I remembered about High School.. sheltered community, kids loved to party, no real violence or gangs, just a handful of pedofiles.

Minus the pedophilia, that's basically my high school. No violence, no gangs, no gun issues, but lots of alcohol, sex, and recreational weed use. Consequently, my views on the last three are exceedingly liberal and tolerant. The key is restraint and not being an idiot. Since high school kids are, generally, incapable of restraint or clear thinking, this poses a bit of a problem. The only one I'd be worried about would be drunk teenage idiots trying to drive...I know many people who had multiple DUIs before they graduated.

I think that the most significant issue depends upon the location you're talking about. I can say that in downtown Chicago that gun violence among high school teens is alarmingly high. This year were some 37 homicides committed by people who still go to high school.

This may stem off of drugs or poverty,

It stems from the severe gang warfare that's been going on in Chicago for quite some time. It is not downtown Chicago that has the problem, either, it's the South side and the near West side that are the most problematic, just to clarify.

Right, not the downtown itself. I should have said the communities where poverty and racial segregation are still very problematic.

Racial segregation in Chicago? It's one of the most racially diverse cities in the US, perhaps second only to New York, and I guarantee you that people are legally allowed to live in whatever section of Chicago they wish. I will not deny that racism exists in Chicago--I've lived there myself, and all one has to do is listen to Obama's ex-pastor to see just one example--but segregation is against the law in Chicago just like it is in the rest of the US.

Archived