Home

Lucasarts is going to announce Lucidity.

spiralout

Haha, no problem.

LucasArts officially revealed Lucidity tonight on Gametrailers TV - http://bit.ly/HRQNq Seeing gameplay footage (video not at link yet but I watched it on TV) it actually looks pretty neat, basically you don't control Sophie, you add objects to the environment that she is walking through to get her past. I imagine the video will be added to gametrailers.com soon if you didn't see it on TV.

Hmm, looking good to me. Looks like Braid a lot (I just purchased it off of Steam today because it was on discount and because it is awesome and because I am awesome). It looked great from the gameplay trailer, but by the last 10-15 seconds of the video, I was thinking "What? That's it? We're just going to take this girl from Point A to Point B by putting things in her path?"

I like the direction LucasArts is going with this recent small-game-encouragement charade, but I'll need more to be convinced. Regardless, this is, of course, a game I'll be interested in buying.

Guys... I'm trying to figure out if I'm going mad or not... Are you sure you aren't all looking at this game through the LucasArts fan blinkers that have developed over the last 20 years? I also love a good puzzle game but I've thought since the first screenshot came out that this looks cheap & nasty. I actually hoped that the first screenshot was some kind of "concept art" and not the final product, and assumed that you were all thinking the same thing. Appears not, this is what the game looks like, and I hate to say I think it looks rubbish.

What am I missing? Lots of you seem to think it's great.

I'm equally bewildered that you think it looks cheap and nasty to be honest. Have you seen the

? In motion it looks wonderful IMO, and this is a notion I've seen expressed by many people who aren't into LucasArts at all.

It's a very stylised and abstract approach for sure — kind of line with many Xbox LIVE Arcade releases in that respect — but it's an intentional artistic direction and one that's been accomplished well. Evidently it's one not everyone's going to like. :confused:

Clearly it's not to be taken as an all singing, all dancing game, though. It's a casual budget game that will only be distributed digitally. Perhaps the problem is you're expecting something too grandiose and serious?

I think that he's trying to get at the core gameplay, which IMO, feels somewhat shallow and repetitive, at first glance. Briefly, it doesn't exactly seem like a game that would throw some new variation per every level, with an extremely linear "Point A to Point B" sort of formula.

Of course, I still have hopes for this game, but compared to other titles, the gameplay doesn't seem to be vehemently inspiring, but I suppose that's the point.

I dunno, I can't say that I've played a game with this particular gameplay any time recently or even ever, as opposed to the billion first-person and third-person shooters I've played this year alone. I mean it's clearly similar to stuff like Lemmings, but it does seem to be its own thing.

Granted the video doesn't show the most exciting gameplay in the world, but the (positive) reviews indicate it gets more interesting and complicated — as you'd expect for a game with multiple dozens of levels.

I do think he meant the art though.

Ok maybe my expectations are too high, I'm not used to "small titles"... I guess I'm wanting the usual blockbuster game from LucasArts. And why not? I just look at these screenshots and get the impression that even I could recreate them with a few basic gradient filled shapes. I'm probably just not a fan of this style, I've never been good with what's "in fashion" :)

I'm glad it's getting a good reception so far though, it's just not for me.

I sort of understand. I don't care at all about Lucidity. The only quasi-remarkable thing about it is that LucasArts are making it and it isn't set in the Star Wars universe. It certainly doesn't look like a game I would buy, although that's not to suggest it might not be very good.

The thing with Lucidity is, I can't really justify paying money for it, because I can play oodles of equally interesting games for free on sites like Kongregate. I'll reserve final judgement for when all the details about the game are known, but right now it doesn't seem to be really special.

Have any of you tried the game "Braid"? It's very similar in concept to Lucidity. Elegant, artistic 2D style, beautiful soundtrack, subtle narrative, intuitive gameplay... It wasn't a big game, and it was only worked on by a few people, but it was one of the highest rated games of the year.

Archived