Original Trilogy or the Prequals

Original Trilogy or the Prequals?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Original Trilogy or the Prequals?

• Original
    • Prequal
    • I like them both
    • I don't like Star Wars!

I like all of them (well, with a possible exception being The Phantom Menace), but it will always be the Original Trilogy that I like best. Why? I can tell you in two words.

Han. Solo.

The prequel trilogy tries far too hard to be like the originals - and while they are great films, they just don't compare to the awesomeness of the Original Trilogy.

I like them both. The original has better acting (I've said it before and I'll say it again: Hayden Christensen is the worst actor in history!!) and the prequels have better lightsaber action.

On another note, I really don't understand this hatred towards Episode I. Hell, if I were to choose, the worst Star Wars movie was Episode II. Why? Extremely crappy acting on the part of H.C, disturbingly awful romance scenes and only one decent lightsaber fight (yes, Yoda vs. Dooku).

On another note, I really don't understand this hatred towards Episode I. Hell, if I were to choose, the worst Star Wars movie was Episode II. Why? Extremely crappy acting on the part of H.C, disturbingly awful romance scenes and only one decent lightsaber fight (yes, Yoda vs. Dooku).

I completely agree! I almost can't watch that movie because I can barely stand them.

Despite that, the prequels aren't that bad. We wouldn't have the Star Wars we have today without them.

I prefer the originals, especially Empire. The SFX in the prequels is good. The last 45 or so minutes of Clones is probably the best part of that movie. I think a big part of the reason that a lot of people didn't like PM was because of heightened expectations. Wasn't crazy about it myself, but it was ok (weak droid enemy and jar-jar aside). Doubt any movie franchise with that big a gap wouldn't disappoint some when it resumed.

I like them both. Better lightsaber duels in the prequel, and a good plot in the original trilogy (not that the prequel had a bad plot).

QFT.

I like both, but I prefer the originals. I really do like both Episode I and Episode III, but I just think Episode II is not good at all. I'll still watch it from time to time because it's Star Wars, but the dialog and romance in that movie is unforgiveable. A New Hope is my favorite out of the bunch.

I like them both. The original has better acting (I've said it before and I'll say it again: Hayden Christensen is the worst actor in history!!) and the prequels have better lightsaber action.

Agreed. Episode I had podracing which was awesome and the final duel kicked ass. young anakin was annoying but the episode II anakin was far worse.

Originally posted by mim

Cheesy lines plagued the entire series as far as I’m concerned.

I like them all as even crappy Star Wars is better than 90% of what the rest of Hollywood has to offer.

Agreed, unfourtantely I tend to only watch from among the top 5% of Hollywood films (when sober), so quite how I ended up watching them remains a mystery (not solved with alcohol). That said, since my first vaccination against, errr, experience with SW was episode 4 (then 1,5,2,6,3), and since the cheese factor is so damn high, I tend to favor the prequels simply because of nicer fights, more humor, and an easily ignorable story.

Note: this is similar to saying I prefer to eat grilled ratsy over raw ratsy.

Edit: and why can't I select more than one option? (alternatively, why is "I don't like SW an option" when I can't combine it with likes prequel/original better)

The original trilogy for me. The prequel trilogy had flashy lightsaber battles, massive clone vs. droid battles, and whatnot, but the original trilogy was, well, the original trilogy. I don't think I'll ever forget Return of the Jedi on Laserdisc: just as Palpatine was cackling (the battle between Luke and Vader had just begun), the screen would go blue and ask me to flip the sides. :p

Like Sabre, I started with the Prequels. I thought Ep 1 was kinda good, but failed because of Jar Jar. Somewhat redeemed by Darth Maul. Than I saw Ep 2, and I left the movie with a bad taste in my mouth. And it wasn't the popcorn.

After that, my parents got the OT Special Edition, and I loved how it was. Hon Solo, Saber throw, Vader. Everything.

Then Episode 3 came along, and I liked the special effects and all of the saber fights. And the NOOOOOO scene is something you can't find in 90% of the crap that Hollywood is churning out today. But the revelation in Episode 5 trumps that by far.

In the end, Original Trilogy is better, but the PT wasn't too bad (except for Episode 2. Thats a romance scene?)

I see it as one saga, but that's because I'm a fanboy... They are so totally different, that it's hard to choose, I grew up with the OT, like watched em everyday, but nearly everything I know about the Jedi, and the way the Franchise is now, is Predominantly PT based. The OT has kinda been lost in Clone wars and PT era TV and EU.

Both

Ehh, I'd say originals had the better storyline by far...though considering eps 4 and 5 were made after a Samurai movie of some kind...well... :giveup:

The originals had a more home made and crafted feel to them. Whereas CGI did most everything in the prequels. The originals had a better storyline. More top notch actors for the time and better execution of the materials. Plus I know one of the Ewoks: Daniel Rodgers.

Prequels had much better dueling. Ep 1 w/ Ray Park (maul) showed us we clearly hadn't seen anything but kids vs old people. Liam Nesson as Qui-Gon Jinn, excellent cast, excellent character.

Ep 2...Jango Fett, Yoda whipping out lightsaber, and Christopher Lee as Dooku. Some of Mace Windu. That was it. Well okay, we see Anakin go ape **** on tuskens and I had a sort of reflection at that point that I was looking at me if I didn't change who I was...oh yeah and crappy romance...

Ep 3...okay more lighsabers and violence in a SW movie than ever before and where we capture Palpatine's real evil. This is where I began seeing ObiWan as a Jesus Christ ripoff by george. A beatable jedi had greivous and vader/anakin not been so stupid and emotional--kenobi was not amazing OR so utterly efficiently simple in his form. (No alternate ending?! :swear:) Ewan is an otherwise decent actor. Natalie Portman...is no Carrie Fisher in her prime--thus is mediocre. Hayden...bleh, not terrible but not great or good either...say, mediocre.

Overall the originals win out. I'll vote both, though. ;)

Archived