Original Trilogy or the Prequals

Original Trilogy or the Prequals?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Original Trilogy or the Prequals?

• Original
    • Prequal
    • I like them both
    • I don't like Star Wars!

in terms of movies, the first ones i saw were the prequels. EPs 1 and 2. then i won the 2004 box set from a tv show by making a star wars rap in 15 minutes. :shades:

after that, i saw ep3. to me, there are three groups: the prequels, the sequels, and episode 3. because RotS is epic.

EPIC.

but i like them all, so i voted both.

I actually got into Star Wars when i played Jedi Academy at a friend's house. i thought it was the greatest game EVAR. (that spot has since been earned KotOR)

BOTH I say!

But I wished they had made the prequels first, and then of course - follow up with the orignals. And because the flow of the story would have been a lot better, no doubt.

It's part of Lucas' remodelling of the epic to suit the modern world, though; an epic must start in medias res to create immediate interest on the part of the reader, or in this case, viewer. Horace, the creator of the phrase, explains it best in his Ars Poetica:

semper ad euentum festinat et in medias res

non secus ac notas auditorem rapit

"[but the epic poet] invariably hurries to action and captures the listener into the middle of things, as though they knew it already". <---- This is exactly how Star Wars opens, the details are filled in as we go.

My translation's more than naff but you get the point. :)

Edit: I voted for the original trilogy, myself. For my money, The Empire Strikes Back is one of the best films of ALL TIME. I feel as though I should laugh maniacally after such a proclamation...

I voted both. I don't really try compare the two, especially since there's a sixteen year gap between the two trilogies. Since I saw the OT as a child my rose colored sunglasses shield me from any flaws it may have.

I liked HC's performance as Anakin. Even when he was whiny in EPII. It mirrored Luke in ANH("...but I was going into Tosche station to pick up some power converters!").

The real travesty of AOTC was C3po's treatment in the film(yes the romance was flat). I was indifferent to Jar Jar but this made me appreciate him so much more. I had nothing invested in Jar Jar as a character, so him playing the fool is fine with me. I'd rather see him do all that bad slapstick humor instead of threepio. "Die, Jedi dogs! ...Oh, what did I say?" "Oh, this is such a drag..." "I feel so beside myself."

Original Trilogy is better.. you can't diss a classic.

Well, except for all of the fixes that GL tried to make.

Some of them were good, but others... well, they messed up the pre-existing great stuff.

I do not like the prequel trilogy, except for Episode I.

Saber battles in Ep II and III = not that great.

But you can't deny Darth Maul and Obi-Wan's throwdown is quite the epic sight.

I like the Original Trilogy and the Prequels, so I would have to vote for both. By the way, Hayden Christensen's acting isn't that bad, I thought it was pretty good when I first saw Star Wars Attack of the Clones. Though the movie wasn't much about the clones, rather more about Anakin.

Can't has :p .... >.>..And I'm not a rabid fan girl or an IIRC or..whatever that stands for..I think?

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

and while non-rabid is good, Atton's pretty cool, so your fandom is justified.

Back to topic:

Luke may have been whiny, but he had a good excuse. He was stuck in a desert for 19 years and wanted to get the hell out!

Edit:

Anakin on the other hand was whiny because he wasn't all powerful. That alone was enough to ruin the prequels. If they had just taken a different route with Ep II, then perhaps we could have had a much better prequel trilogy.

What is it about the Originals that set them apart and have them holding a higher approval rating after all this time even though clearly, technology and movie making had evolved and improved?

Too much dialogue.

The prequels harbor too much unecessary dialogue. How many great, one-line phrases can you warmly recite from the prequels? Two, maybe three?

In the attempt to try to fit everything in, I believe they lost the classic imagery that the Originals possessed. Especially, A New Hope and Empire, arguably the two best StarWars movies ever.

The problems with the PT: Jar-Jar. Cutesy Anakin in 1. They killed off Darth Maul in the first movie, who was the single best lightsaber duelist in the entire series, and got rid of Qui-Gon, who was one of the most interesting Jedi of the PT, way too soon. Horrendous romance dialog and acting through those scenes. Samuel L. Jackson phoned in his part for Mace Windu. Very little humor in comparison to OT (no smart-aleck rogues like Han). The only thing I could say good about it was that the lightsaber duels were fabulous and watching the political intrigue as Palpatine rose to power was fascinating. That can't begin to make up for the rest of the excellence that was the OT, however.

OT all the way! Better plot, better acting, better ships, good love scenes, snappy dialogue and... No Jar-Jar! The OT

I hate how stupid the droids are in the PT - at least Storm Troopers aren't that stupid; I don't mind the PT, but they should of been a lot better.

Anyways this says it all;

anniedarth.jpg

OT all the way! Better plot, better acting, better ships, good love scenes, snappy dialogue and... No Jar-Jar! The OT

In all honesty the ships in the PT were not too bad at all, Slave One, the Sith Infiltrator, the Trade Federation battleships, the Venator SD's, the ARC-170's, the V-Wings are all not too shabby in my book.

While not the Millennium Falcon, Imperial Star Destroyers, or Star Dreadnoughts like the Executor the OT had, the PT ships are cool nonetheless.

I hate how stupid the droids are in the PT - at least Storm Troopers aren't that stupid; I don't mind the PT, but they should of been a lot better.

Come to my empire we have all those "Roger, Roger!" Battle Droids only smarter, Droideka and Cylons! And cookies! :xp:

Did I mention cookies? :D

Archived