Home

PVP

kipperthefrog

I love PvP, it helps the setting. You don't quite getting the feeling of frantic all-out war when you're lazily doing quests or dungeons. PvP is fast-paced so it helps the feeling of being in a warzone(hence that being the name of the pvp battlegrounds I guess). I may not PvP all the time, or even most of the time, but I played on a PvP server on WoW(not by choice, friends were there when I got WoW, I embraced the server type), so I at least try to PvP some. Playing a PvP server increases your reflexes, making you more aware of your surrounding in case a player sneaks up on you in the middle of a kill, which in turns helps you be more aware of mobs around you too.

Anyways, I like PvP, even if I don't always participate in it.

• 1 month later...

PvP is very complicated to implement correctly, and given the level of experience that Bioware has (zero?), I'd think that they should focus their effort on polishing their "four pillars" (story, exploration, combat, stats) to perfection.

Personally, I played WoW purely for PvP (since its story/world is elementary). PvE combat in WoW was also too pathetically easy. However, I'm playing SWToR purely for the story and exploration (like KotOR), and I'll get my fill of challenging gameplay from plenty of other sources (Guild Wars 2!!!!, League of Legends, Starcraft 2, Team Fortress 2, etc.). So if there's no PvP in SWToR, I wouldn't ever care since i'll be too busy making alts to experience all the storylines. :D

In terms of complaints of PvP affecting PvE balance however, I've always find that funny. It's reasonably difficult to balance PvP due to unpredictable combat situations and imbalance might mean that one class may always lose. But, in PvE, there is no such problem. Each encounter is fully scripted and raid groups will still beat content just fine. However it's the overly, pathetically simple and easy combat that cause each class to effectively boil down into just a single number on the dps meter. A dps/utility class that is balanced in a true class design sense (less damage because he has utility) will not be able to compete with a pure dps class if the utility powers are rendered worthless by the design of the encounter. PvE encounters just need to be designed in a way that each class get to shine uniquely and not support only pure-tank, pure-dps, or pure-heal roles when the classes are not designed that way.

PvP is very complicated to implement correctly, and given the level of experience that Bioware has (zero?), I'd think that they should focus their effort on polishing their "four pillars" (story, exploration, combat, stats) to perfection.

Personally, I played WoW purely for PvP (since its story/world is elementary). PvE combat in WoW was also too pathetically easy. However, I'm playing SWToR purely for the story and exploration (like KotOR), and I'll get my fill of challenging gameplay from plenty of other sources (Guild Wars 2!!!!, League of Legends, Starcraft 2, Team Fortress 2, etc.). So if there's no PvP in SWToR, I wouldn't ever care since i'll be too busy making alts to experience all the storylines. :D

In terms of complaints of PvP affecting PvE balance however, I've always find that funny. It's reasonably difficult to balance PvP due to unpredictable combat situations and imbalance might mean that one class may always lose. But, in PvE, there is no such problem. Each encounter is fully scripted and raid groups will still beat content just fine. However it's the overly, pathetically simple and easy combat that cause each class to effectively boil down into just a single number on the dps meter. A dps/utility class that is balanced in a true class design sense (less damage because he has utility) will not be able to compete with a pure dps class if the utility powers are rendered worthless by the design of the encounter. PvE encounters just need to be designed in a way that each class get to shine uniquely and not support only pure-tank, pure-dps, or pure-heal roles when the classes are not designed that way.

On that subject, all WoW's talent trees will be changed to have far more 'utility' skills in them.

It was one of my complaints too about WoW. There was actually an add-on for the game that scanned other people's gear. If it wasn't good enough, you couldn't come. But in order to be good enough, you need to come on those raids. It's quite a catch 22.

In terms of gameplay, it meant the die-hard no-lifers and casual players were separated even more, with no regard to skill whatsoever.

I've been playing Guild Wars since it launched. It has an unique, yet extremely flawed skills system that is challenging at first but soon turns into something similar as WoW, with 'best' skillsets that 'everyone should have.'

Archived