Home

Revolution 9/9/09

Tyrion

So the new Beatles remasters are official released today, and you can catch a preview of the remastered versions at the Beatles site using the player in the top right.

After listening through the samples, it appears that the remasters do a brilliant job of getting the Beatles' sound across much more clearly and vibrantly than the original 1987 cds did. Granted, the effect isn't spread equally across the board: the change decreases in magnitude from Please Please Me to Abbey Road. Songs from the early are totally redone in stereo and sound entirely new and fresh; songs from Rubber Soul and later tend to remain closer to their original 1987 sound, but a few have markedly improved quality. Granted, the sample for Strawberry Fields Forever seemed to be missing the entire left side of the track, but I'm hoping that's more an error from the uploading of the sample rather than the sound of the actual released track.

Last week I listened to the entire Beatles official discography (through magic...) and it was an interesting experience. I had never really sat down and listened to their stuff before. There's a lot of good music from some very talented people on those albums. I took the liberty of reading up on a lot of the history and trivia about the Beatles while I was listening, which added to the experience. Their sound evolved a lot over the years. I actually might rent the Rock Band game. It shouldn't take very long to go through the songs, and I really want to see some of these dreamscapes people have been talking about.

Archived