Home

Or at least it is on Steam.

The entire series is now available for download; yes, that includes Dark Forces, which incorporates some of the best FPS level design, par none.

Alternatively, for JK virgins, you can buy the entire series in one bundle for only $20, which is quite a bargain considering that they all ooze quality.

Linkity, dinkity, lock

Well, my faith in LucasArts delivering quality products became quashed yet again; I found out that DF2 doesn't have any of its CD-based music in the Steam version. Not to mention, it also crashes everything I try to menu save; it lacks 3D hardware acceleration, and I'm forced to play all of the cutscenes in windowed-mode. Of course, LA would have the resources to correct all of this; they own the source code, naturally, and have all of the manpower to rewrite several components to make the SITH engine OpenGL/AL-compliant, but they lack the will to do so. Unfortunately, it's become a rather recent trend to expect this, particularly from LucasArts. :rolleyes:

Yet once again, you have my sincerest regards, LA. :disaprove

This is exactly what i was waiting for when they LA announced the whole Steam thing.

i cant *wait* to play Dark forces! I found a 3 level "super sampler" disc at a recycle shop, and i really want to play the rest.

DF2 doesn't have any of its CD-based music in the Steam version.

what do you mean?

... the game has no music??

Well, my faith in LucasArts delivering quality products became quashed yet again; I found out that DF2 doesn't have any of its CD-based music in the Steam version. Not to mention, it also crashes everything I try to menu save; it lacks 3D hardware acceleration, and I'm forced to play all of the cutscenes in windowed-mode. Of course, LA would have the resources to correct all of this; they own the source code, naturally, and have all of the manpower to rewrite several components to make the SITH engine OpenGL/AL-compliant, but they lack the will to do so. Unfortunately, it's become a rather recent trend to expect this, particularly from LucasArts. :rolleyes:

Yet once again, you have my sincerest regards, LA. :disaprove

Is anyone else having these problems? I was considering buying this since I never played Dark Forces 1 or 2 and haven't gone through JKII:JO in years, but I'm not going to get them if they're buggy.

what do you mean?

... the game has no music??

Essentially, yes, the music files aren't even included with the Steam version.
Is anyone else having these problems? I was considering buying this since I never played Dark Forces 1 or 2 and haven't gone through JKII:JO in years, but I'm not going to get them if they're buggy.
Both DF1 & 2 are completely playable; knock yourself out. DF1 uses DOSBox, so it runs flawlessly. DF2, while playable, is subject to crashing when doing anything else other than simply playing the game (Changing settings, saving via the menu, etc.)
I don't know about the Steam versions, but IIRC the CD versions of JK and MotS both worked pretty well on my XP64 system. At least I don't remember it crashing a lot, although I think the menu was a bit buggy. Nothing unplayable though.
DF2 is entirely playable, even on Win7 64-bit; It's just extremely temperamental.

The Steam forums are also a beehive; apparently everyone has these problems.

And for those wanting a better DF1 experience, see here.

I can't take it anymore; JK1 is so incomplete without the music, not even when taking in mind the dozen other compatibility issues. For $5, I've received an incomplete, broken 12-year-old game. What's even worse, is that the original discs included not only the elements in question, but they also didn't force you into a restrictive DRM scheme, so you could install the game on any system, rather than one with an internet connection.

What's really irks me is the fact that this is a 12-year-old game; LucasArts had plenty of time to understand and resolve the hundreds of compatibility issues that plague the game. I also blame Valve for not enforcing higher quality standards in their releases; if they had set stricter compatibility and quality standards, much like with GOG.com, then there would've been a great fewer number of problems. GOG.com also don't force you to install any draconian DRM system, and it also provides you with a bounty of extras, including game soundtracks, artwork, or wallpapers. So, if you want but an older game, always check GOG.com first; you'll be getting a much better product in the long run.

If you're as agitated as I am with JK1, then ask Valve for a refund. Send LucasArts a message: If you don't give us a complete, functional copy of a game, then you won't receive our money for it. Don't create a petition or vow to not buy any LucasArts game again, becuase you will eventually. All of the other games in the JK Collection bundle run absolutely perfectly on my computer, and I love those games dearly, but JK1 is a total waste of money. Hell, if you're that desperate to play JK1, then just go and pirate it; at least you'll be getting the full, original game at very little monetary expense.

I can't agree that Steam is "draconian" DRM, I think it's reasonable to expect everyone to have a computer with an Internet connection, but I'll give you the rest. It does seem like a rather rushed job and it is too bad Valve accepted it the way it is.

Can something be done about adding the music back in? Not that I care enough or know how to do that, but I'd add some files if someone else figured it out.

Can something be done about adding the music back in? Not that I care enough or know how to do that, but I'd add some files if someone else figured it out.
You'd probably have to rip the music from the CDs, via some utility, and then modify the executable to not scan CD drives for the music, and instead point it towards a certain directory. It wouldn't be terribly difficult if you owned the source code (Which, apparently, LucasArts claims that it went "missing". Go figure. :rolleyes:), and then modified a few scripts to point the game to the ripped music files, instead of having it search the CD drives for the files.

While that seems fairly easy for LA to accomplish, it's essentially impossible for any fan-made project, unless if you want to reverse engineer and rewrite the whole SITH Engine. Again, that's why I'd still say that simply "finding" the isos would be dramatically easier, as that is really the only path to get the complete game, in its entirety.

Archived