Home

Left 4 Dead 2 banned in Australia.

IG-64

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/102/1025648p1.html

Apparently the violence in L4D2 has been upped so much that it was refused by the Australian Classifications Board. This is like giving an Ao rating to a game, except that Australia doesn't even have an Ao-type rating, so the game is effectively banned.

I expect at least one of two things will happen: Valve will change the game so it can be re-rated, or there will be riots in the streets of Australia.

I bet you anything it's just ONE single thing in L4D2 that's done it... and it's something really stupid in terms of the fact that every other game has aready done it before, but the people who reviewed the content felt that it had a certain tone that was unnacceptable.

I mean, come on, Resident Evil 4 and House of the Dead Overkill as well as the first Left 4 Dead reached this country untouched with all of the content there. We were one of the few countries to get Killer7 complete and uncut, and we're the country that happens to have made quite a lot of very violent movies which involved some very dark concepts such as rape and racial violence... we even have a TV station down here that is credited for being the only place to air certain foreign movies in their complete uncut format with nothing uncensored.

Whatever content is in L4D2 is because we unfairly don't have an R18+ rating for video games down here and the government refuses to act on it. Hell, the R18+ rating is being held back down here simply by one asshat representative who thinks that it's going to protect the children to not have it.

The great thing is that because we don't have the R18+ rating, a lot of games which would probably have fit into that rating have been released complete and uncut as MA15+ rated games which is the nexxt lowest (and highest rating for video games) in Australia.

So instead of protecting children by restricting them from being able to buy an R18+ game, he's enabling them to be able to buy MA15+ games. Good one ASSHAT.

Also, just to make it clear R18+ doesn't equal an AO type rating. It's a completely different scale down here.

Also, just to make it clear R18+ doesn't equal an AO type rating. It's a completely different scale down here.

So 18+ means children over 18 months? I mean, if its 18 years and older then its basically the same thing as AO since legally your an adult at 18 years.

May wanna clarify on that a bit more.

Though that represenative is an asshat.

The changes will probably really stupid that we'll never notice what was changed though... just like previous games.

In the decision report, they specifically cite the melee weapons as the most violent part of the game. So I'm guessing they'll have to tone down some of the more violent melee graphics.

Doesn't Steam have to conform to Australian law though?

But that's the point. The game isn't literally "banned", it just carries an age rating that most stores won't carry, right? At the very worst I'd think all that Steam could do is ensure that the buyer is 18 years of age or older.

But that's the point. The game isn't literally "banned", it just carries an age rating that most stores won't carry, right? At the very worst I'd think all that Steam could do is ensure that the buyer is 18 years of age or older.
No, Australia does not even have a classification higher than 15, so if a game is refused classification, it is effectively banned.

It can't be sold in Australian retail stores, but there's nothing stopping anyone from importing it. Steam AU probably won't carry it but it's not like Valve would stop AU people from being able to get the US version and register it on steam... I mean, the Australian government can't do anything to stop them or us.

It can't be sold in Australian retail stores, but there's nothing stopping anyone from importing it. Steam AU probably won't carry it but it's not like Valve would stop AU people from being able to get the US version and register it on steam... I mean, the Australian government can't do anything to stop them or us.

Fight the powers at be brotha man.

Archived