Home

Quanons Crazy Projects!

Quanon

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, not much to report.

Been working on making wall sections for my buildings.

Like that I'll flesh out the city.

Thing is I don't want to much copy/paste, so I need to make variations.

Means I need to do a lot of modelling.

Once I feel I got enough bitz to share around, I then need to damage them.

So far all my wall parts look untouched by time and enviromental "wear and tear".

But, well thats off for awhile now.

Here's some examples of what I can construct:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)

Rendy3.jpg

Rendy2.jpg

Rendy1.jpg

Well, again a minor update.

Not to much has happened, I'm in doubt how feasable my whole "lost" city idea is. My small part I've got now is already at a high poly count.

My compadré Marius reported that on his PC my Canyon area causes a heavy steep frame drop in his game... must be due to some sloppyness on my part.

I admit that some parts aren't as clean as they should be, though, on my PC and on Canderis, who had a test run aswell, it works decently.

Then again, most fans might have another more light weighted PC.

So this all caused doubts. And I planned on ditching the city thing.

Still, I worked on it a bit more, cleaning it up as I went about adding destruction :p

Here some "white" shots of it. Its still very likely I'll have to cast it aside. :(

Rendy6.jpg

Rendy4.jpg

Rendy5.jpg

Rendy7.jpg

Couldn't you still make the lost city feasible by making a BIK movie that covers areas that the mod goes through - like a flythrough video. Then your characters are deposited in a new module without having to cover as much ground. Convenient collapsed pillars could block the way, like the annoying fences that prevent you from going further in Dantooine (when you are over looking the plains from the high hills, for example.)

Couldn't you still make the lost city feasible by making a BIK movie that covers areas that the mod goes through - like a flythrough video. Then your characters are deposited in a new module without having to cover as much ground. Convenient collapsed pillars could block the way, like the annoying fences that prevent you from going further in Dantooine (when you are over looking the plains from the high hills, for example.)

I already sketched it out in such a way, that the players path gets blocked by rubble and steep sand dunes. My main problem is this only a third of the area design I had in mind.

Now its quiete small... it wouldn't take a minute to run from the gate to my other towers >_>

Thats far to small compared to what other game areas offer.

So I'll need to solve this fast, before it bogs me down and the will to continue fades :p

Lovely area. What is the poly count?

19.000+ something already, I always try to stick below 20.000.

I'm still in Editable Poly: the game cuts them up in triangles, so its like 19.000 x 2.

So its 38.000 for the game; its a ruff guess, but it shouldn't be far off.

I have a question on the poly count. Most machines nowadays can handle pretty much anything that KOTOR or TSL can throw at it, so in keeping within a certain count is it for the Aurora Engine's limitations?

OH! I almost forgot. Great work Q. Being a fan of the old Tales of the Jedi comics, the KOTOR games kind of ruin the grandeur of Korriban. Is that another engine limitation or is that just lazy (or rushed) developers? I notice there isn't a lot of scale to anything in KOTOR.

I have a question on the poly count. Most machines nowadays can handle pretty much anything that KOTOR or TSL can throw at it, so in keeping within a certain count is it for the Aurora Engine's limitations?

Its not because you run an older on game a new PC, that the game can handle more. Game engines are designed a certain way to handle all the data and its graphics.

I'm not sure but, I think the K1 engine can handle 5.000 000 polies.

Though that includes all 3D. Characters, the area, weapons, certain effects and all.

Though thats theoretically, remember that you need to move and fight etc...

That all puts a certain strain on the engine.

OH! I almost forgot. Great work Q. Being a fan of the old Tales of the Jedi comics, the KOTOR games kind of ruin the grandeur of Korriban. Is that another engine limitation or is that just lazy (or rushed) developers? I notice there isn't a lot of scale to anything in KOTOR.

Héh, I wouldn't say Bioware was lazy, its just how these older games look like. Often you'll see that they have a few details here and there, though not much.

You need to know most people don't even notice much of the area it self, as they're rushing through it to solve quests and fighting.

What if you made all windows (that are higher than the second storey) so that they were done with textures instead of moddelling them? Could you also reduce the amount of 3D detail on pillars, window sills and door frames?

Hmm, the camera behind is further behind the player then you think :p

Which makes you see a lot more then often thought.

Thats why you can peep through all the windows :)

I say just put it in game and see

If only it was that easy >_>

Quanon... a name to remember in the future. Your work here is a great effort to keep the games alive under these dark times.

Just continue.. haha, do not let me or anyone else (especially not anyone else) say you otherwise.

You could always fall back on that old standby of splitting the module in two. Kinda sucks but not much you can do with the limitations of the Odyssey engine.

True. Though I rather keep that as a last minute solution.

Though, I've been working on it some more this evening, I was able to drop the poly count to 17.000 something.

Then again, I still need to add things. Well I'll see how it goes, I'll have to adapt the plans a bit. Lessen details on certain objects in my scene.

Though I hate to do that, kinda spoil my modelling fun :(

Archived