Home

Technical Question

AdmiralMotti89

Sorry if this is not the place to discuss hardware issues, but I just got Kotor II (PC) II and I can create a character and watch cutscenes, but once the opening movie is done, it crashes. As far as I can tell, Kotor II has the same system requirements for it as Kotor I does, however Kotor worked on my computer. Both hardware scans resulted in a warning for my video card, but Kotor I worked fine. I've tried different options for graphics troubleshooting, but nothing really makes a difference. It just seems too weird that even though it recommends the same video card, my computer can't handle the second game. Anyways, is there any more complexc tricks i should try, or should I jsut wait till I get my new computer in a few months? Thanks for any advice.

PS: I think it's pretty cool your character in the game starts out as a Jedi, and I like how the interface is pretty much the same as #1, I got concerned when I saw it was produced by a different company.

Sorry if this is not the place to discuss hardware issues, but I just got Kotor II (PC) II and I can create a character and watch cutscenes, but once the opening movie is done, it crashes. As far as I can tell, Kotor II has the same system requirements for it as Kotor I does, however Kotor worked on my computer. Both hardware scans resulted in a warning for my video card, but Kotor I worked fine. I've tried different options for graphics troubleshooting, but nothing really makes a difference. It just seems too weird that even though it recommends the same video card, my computer can't handle the second game. Anyways, is there any more complexc tricks i should try, or should I jsut wait till I get my new computer in a few months? Thanks for any advice.

PS: I think it's pretty cool your character in the game starts out as a Jedi, and I like how the interface is pretty much the same as #1, I got concerned when I saw it was produced by a different company.

Both games were produced by different companies, mainly because BioWare was busy with another game when the sequel was called for. They even recommended Obsidian to develop the game, I believe. but both games use the same engine, although TSL has many functions that KOTOR either didn't, or lacked.

One possible route to try, is if the opening movie(as in, the "drifting in space" clip), is crashing upon its completion, try disabling them, and see if that works, at least as a temp solution.

Exactly what type or brand of Video card does your computer use?

Both games were produced by different companies, mainly because BioWare was busy with another game when the sequel was called for. They even recommended Obsidian to develop the game, I believe. but both games use the same engine, although TSL has many functions that KOTOR either didn't, or lacked.

One possible route to try, is if the opening movie(as in, the "drifting in space" clip), is crashing upon its completion, try disabling them, and see if that works, at least as a temp solution.

Exactly what type or brand of Video card does your computer use?

It's described as a Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family 512 MB. I'm not sure if that helps, I really don't know what it means myself. Unfortunately, I've already tried the disable movies and it still crashed. Thanks for the try though. If you have any other guesses, I'd love to try them.

Yes, please post your specs:

Post your system specs

Sometimes we're just not going to be able to help you if we don't know what kind of hardware you have on your machine. If you don't know what you have on your machine, then follow these steps below:

• Bring up the launcher menu for Kotor 1 or 2.
  • Click on "Configure".
  • Click the "Scan Hardware" button on the lower center of the window.
  • Click "Yes" to continue.
  • Click "Details" to view your system specs.
  • Click "Save Report" and save the file to your desktop.
  • Whenever you post your problem, open the file you just saved and copy and paste the contents to your post.

I can't promise anything, though. Getting these games to run on Intel GPUs can be tricky and there's no guarantee of success.

Here is the full report. Thanks.

[sWKotOR]

ReportDateTime=9/19/2009 12:55:07 PM

SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60

GameExists=1

GameVersion=v2.00.424

GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]

Name=WinXP

Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 2

Service Pack=Service Pack 2

Status=Pass

[swapFiles]

C:\pagefile.sys=1524

[CPU]

CPUCount=1

CPUSpeed=1795

CPUFamily=6

CPUModel=15

CPUStepping=13

CPUVendor=Intel

CPUName=Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T5670 @ 1.80GHz

Status=Pass

[Memory]

RAM=1016

Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]

C: (NTFS), UNICODE=62.18GB

Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]

DriveLetters=D:\

Drives=HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4244N,MAT****A DVD-RAM UJ-860,MAT****A DVD-RAM UJ-860

[Video]

Video Card Name=Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family

Video Memory=512

Desktop Resolution=1280x800x32 @ 60Hz

DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)

OpenGL Version=2.0.0 - Build 7.15.10.5002

OpenGL Vendor=Intel

OpenGL Renderer=Intel 965/963 Graphics Media Accelerator

Vid Card Status=Warning

Vid Card Driver Status=Pass

GL Status=Pass

DX Status=Pass

[Audio]

Sound Card Name=Conexant HD Audio output

Status=Pass

;Game Options from swkotor2.ini

[Display Options]

FullScreen=1

Disable Movies=0

Disable Intro Movies=0

Sort Modules=1

Width=640

Height=480

BitsPerPixels=32

RefreshRate=60

[sound Options]

Music Volume=85

Voiceover Volume=85

Sound Effects Volume=85

Movie Volume=85

Number 3D Voices=16

Number 2D Voices=24

2D3D Bias=0.50

Force Software=0

EAX=0

Sound Init=0

Disable Sound=0

[Graphics Options]

V-Sync=0

Anisotropy=1

Frame Buffer=0

Anti Aliasing=0

Texture Quality=0

Grass=1

Soft Shadows=0

Shadows=1

Brightness=57

EnableHardwareMouse=1

FullScreen=0

RefreshRate=60

Width=800

Height=600

Emitters=1

[Game Options]

Enable Tooltips=1

Keyboard Camera Deceleration=2000.000000

Keyboard Camera Acceleration=500.000000

Keyboard Camera DPS=200.000000

TextureVariation=0

BodyVariation=0

AppearanceType=0

PCGender=0

GameCompleted=0

CurSithLord=0

Hide InGame GUI=0

Use Small Fonts=0

Hide Unequippable=0

Tutorial Popups=1

Subtitles=1

Mini Map=1

Floating Numbers=1

Status Summary=1

Enable Mouse Teleporting To Buttons=1

Mouse Sensitivity=44

Difficulty Level=1

Auto Level Up NPCs=0

Mouse Look=0

AutoSave=1

EnableScreenShot=0

Reverse Mouse Buttons=0

Reverse Ingame YAxis=0

Reverse Minigame YAxis=0

Combat Movement=1

UnlockedPlanetSongs=1

TooltipDelay Sec=1

Disable Movies=0

[config]

firstrun=0

[Keymapping]

Action286B=8

Action286A=7

Action285B=10

Action285A=9

Action284B=54

Action284A=51

Action283B=54

Action283A=51

Action282B=69

Action282A=73

Action281B=53

Action281A=76

Action280B=69

Action280A=73

Action268=52

Action265=58

Action264=57

Action263=43

Action262=85

Action261=84

Action260=83

Action259=82

Action258=81

Action257=80

Action256=79

Action255=78

Action254=77

Action253=31

Action245=75

Action244=55

Action243=67

Action242=74

Action241=87

Action240=56

Action239=68

Action238=82

Action236=83

Action234=81

Action232=80

Action230=79

Action228=78

Action226=77

Action225=70

Action224=90

Action223=31

Action222=25

Action221=24

Action220=29

Action219=28

Action218=42

Action217=87

Action216=65

Action215=63

Action214=60

Action213=62

Action212=61

Action211=66

Action210=59

Action209=71

Action208=89

Action207=72

Action206=30

Action205=55

Action204=67

[Autopause Options]

End Of Combat Round=0

Mine Sighted=0

Enemy Sighted=1

Party Killed=1

Action Menu=0

New Target Selected=1

[Movies Shown]

Movie10=0

Movie 9=0

Movie 8=0

Movie 7=0

Movie 6=0

Movie 5=0

Movie 4=0

Movie 3=0

Movie 2=0

Movie 1=0

Movie 0=4

Thanks. OK, here we go.

First off, if you're running the game on Vista (the report can't specify Vista because it wasn't out yet), you're going to want to follow the instructions in the first two posts in this thread. Be aware that setting CPU affinity and using the Dantooine lag fix are necessary regardless of your OS.

Second, set the resolution in-game from the main menu to 1280x960, exit, open up swkotor2.ini with notepad (ALWAYS with administrator privileges if you're using Vista) and set the resolution to 1280x800 under both "Display Options" and "Graphics Options", save and exit. AFAIK, TSL supports 1280x800 natively.

Third, there is a fix for Intel GPUs here that you may be able to use.

Thanks. OK, here we go.

First off, if you're running the game on Vista (the report can't specify Vista because it wasn't out yet), you're going to want to follow the instructions in the first two posts in this thread. Be aware that setting CPU affinity and using the Dantooine lag fix are necessary regardless of your OS.

Second, set the resolution in-game from the main menu to 1280x960, exit, open up swkotor2.ini with notepad (ALWAYS with administrator privileges if you're using Vista) and set the resolution to 1280x800 under both "Display Options" and "Graphics Options", save and exit. AFAIK, TSL supports 1280x800 natively.

Third, there is a fix for Intel GPUs here that you may be able to use.

I don't have vista, I tried the intel GPU fix, but I followed the directions exactly however not everything matches up; there isn't an option on my computer that the directions have; the 'Open GL tab.' I also tried the swkotor2.ini file, but it didn't work. Howver, I only had 2 options to set my in game resolution; 800-600 and 1024-768, so maybe that was the reason.

Should I try the vista fix even if i don't have it?

Thanks for all the help, I'm not sure if this is fixable, but if you have any other ideas i'd be very thankful.

BTW, the game loaded further than it ever had before; I saw the cutscene, then a roman numeral II in the upper left before it crashed, that had never happned before. That was with the ini file change I beleive.

I don't have vista, I tried the intel GPU fix, but I followed the directions exactly however not everything matches up; there isn't an option on my computer that the directions have; the 'Open GL tab.'

I've been playing around on my laptop, which also has a Mobile 965 chipset, and you're right; there is no "Open GL" button (note that the Mobile 965 came along a few years after that fix, which is for the 8xx series). What you're looking for is the "3D Settings" button in the main Intel graphics driver window (Start>Control Panel>Appearance and Themes>Change Screen Resolution>Advanced Settings>Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile>Graphics Properties>3D Settings). The Open GL Settings will appear and "Flipping Policy" should be the third option down from the top. Switch it from "flip" to "blit", hit "Apply" and "OK", then "Apply" and "OK" again, and then "OK" and it should be changed. You can go back in to make sure that it is.

I'm going to go ahead and install KotOR 2 on my laptop to see if I can get it to work. I'm using Vista, though. There's a lot of people trying to get these games to run on Intel GPUs and there really isn't any reason why they shouldn't.

EDIT: Well, I managed to get it installed and running OK. One thing, though: that .ini hack works at 1280x768, NOT 1280x800 as I originally believed (sorry!). Also, make sure that Fullscreen=1 under both "Display Options" and "Graphics Options".

Try updating to the newest version of DirectX, found here. It can't hurt.

Try setting CPU affinity to CPU 0 instead of CPU 1.

Try setting the resolution in-game back to 800x600.

Disable ANY antivirus and firewall that may be running in the background, or better yet, run the game on a clean boot, with nothing running in the background. Clean boot method:

Step 1: Start the System Configuration Utility

Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.

The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.

Step 2: Configure selective startup options

In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup.

Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box.

Click to clear the Process WIN.INI File check box.

Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box. Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.

Click the Services tab.

Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.

Click Disable All, and then click OK.

When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

Step 3: Log on to Windows

If you are prompted, log on to Windows.

When you receive the following message, click to select the Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start check box, and then click OK.

*Choose a different resolution, preferably one that matches whatever you have the game set to, and a different aspect ratio setting such as "center desktop" or "preserve aspect ratio" in the graphics driver menu before launching the game.

If all else fails, uninstall the game, delete any leftover folders and files, clean the registry with CCleaner and start over. There's no reason that I can think of as to why this game shouldn't run.

I tried the disable all services button, but it was disallowed, saying I need admin priveledges. I probably should have mentioned before that this machine is a University issue computer, but I didn;t think it mattered. Anyways, I'm ok with not being able to play for a while, thanks for all the help, but I'm getting a little uncomfortable with how advanced this thing is going, even though your directions are very easy to follow. Once i get home for christmas, if it doesn't work on that one, if you'd still like to help me out, i'd be very thankful. :)

It's no big deal. Thanks for all the help; I learned a few tricks that might help me with other things too. As for the reasons it didn't work, in my life I have had a long history of bizzare computer problems, including burned Band-aids and mouthwash spills. So I wouldn't be surprised if Boris from GoldenEye couldn't get it to work on my computer. :)

Archived