Home

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Rake

Yeah the wandering around in Chapter 1 looking for nests wasn't aided by the rotating mini-map - made it impossible to get your bearings. I'm not sure who thought that would be a good idea.

I'm in the middle of Chapter 2 now on my second playthrough. Sure goes a lot quicker the second time around. Making the opposite choice I went with in the first playthrough, I have to say there's a small plot inconsistency that crops up at the end of Chapter 1:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
When siding with Roche, Iorveth is captured and put in the prison barge (so Roche tells you), yet later on in a flashback he's free and Roche fights him and instead of killing him monologues for 5 minutes before letting him go. I get that is essentially the same scene they use in the Iorveth path with the characters switched, but at least in that instance it made sense. In the Roche path it seems to directly contradict the previous plot exposition and not make any logical sense whatsoever (it would have taken all of 5 seconds to stab him in the face, yet he stood there for a minute or so yapping on about how he had no time to kill him because Squirrel archers were approaching). I can only think that the reason it is there is because you can aid Iorveth during the Letho confrontation, yet later side with Roche which would mean Iorveth wasn't captured. Recycling the same scene for both outcomes seems kind of lazy though to me. In the instance that Iorveth is captured, why not just have Roche say the Squirrels raided the barge and freed Iorveth while Geralt was dealing with Loredo? Would have made more sense.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to say there's a small plot inconsistency that crops up at the end of Chapter 1:

Show spoiler
When siding with Roche, Iorveth is captured and put in the prison barge (so Roche tells you), yet later on in a flashback he's free and Roche fights him and instead of killing him monologues for 5 minutes before letting him go. I get that is essentially the same scene they use in the Iorveth path with the characters switched, but at least in that instance it made sense. In the Roche path it seems to directly contradict the previous plot exposition and not make any logical sense whatsoever (it would have taken all of 5 seconds to stab him in the face, yet he stood there for a minute or so yapping on about how he had no time to kill him because Squirrel archers were approaching). I can only think that the reason it is there is because you can aid Iorveth during the Letho confrontation, yet later side with Roche which would mean Iorveth wasn't captured. Recycling the same scene for both outcomes seems kind of lazy though to me. In the instance that Iorveth is captured, why not just have Roche say the Squirrels raided the barge and freed Iorveth while Geralt was dealing with Loredo? Would have made more sense.

Interesting...

Show spoiler
I had the fight scene between Roche and Iorveth too after the whole affair with Loredo came to a close and Geralt asked Roche why he was late, but I don't remember him ever mentioning that he captured Iorveth, or Iorveth being put on the prison barge. Perhaps it depends on some other choices made during Chapter 1, though I have no idea which.

Hrmmm...

Show spoiler
Perhaps it only happens if you agree to help Loredo? After the Letho fight, Roche came to find me in the bath house and told me Iorveth was captured. Then when we went back to Flotsam to look for Triss, there was a party going on - Loredo declared it a holiday to celebrate Iorveth's capture.

I also recall there was a dialogue inconsistency related to that same Roche/Iorveth confrontation flashback if you choose the Iorveth path. In that scene, Iorveth defeats Roche and has him at sword's end, yet doesn't kill him. He says something along the lines of Roche being the last of his kind (Iorveth having killed all the other special forces commanders) and that Elves don't kill endangered species. Then later on, in Chapter 2 or 3, when talking to Geralt he says how Roche must be killed because he is too dangerous to live and that there will always be more of his kind. I wanted to ask him if that was the case wtf he didn't kill him earlier when he had the chance, but sadly I wasn't given that option.

I guess CDPR want both Iorveth and Roche alive whatever happens for some future content, be it an expansion or sequel. That's fine, it just seems to have been handled a bit oddly. Maybe something was lost in translation?

By the way, I love the tale that guy in Roche's camp tells about the elder, the recruiter, and the pig's eye. Cracks me up every time.

:lol: "I can see that..."

Show spoiler
I've loaded a save at the end of Chapter 1 and sided with Iorveth to see the difference and imagine my surprise when I found out Saskia was the dragon after she accidentally murmured her real name when she came to. Too bad I failed to discover who tried to poison her (my trail ended with the already-dead priest), but I suspect it was Philippa, based on the book Geralt found after the battle and his comments regarding the layout of recipes and the fact Philippa altered the cure in order to strengthen her hold over Saskia/Sasenthesis. I've started the third chapter and so far I've learned that I need to avoid the Temerian camp and the Order of the Flaming Rose. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out this time.

Actually that quest is a bit buggy I think. When I went through it

Show spoiler
the investigation during the quest where Stennis is about to be lynched revealed that it was Stennis's priest that poisoned her, and that Stennis was complicit by ordering the servants out of the kitchen at the priest's request (so he could swap the cup/goblet). However I never got that sub-quest (where you talk to the servant that overheard them - "The Walls Have Ears" or some such?) to completion because it said "wait for events to unfold" and then I advanced the main plot, auto-failing it. After that in the journal entries it was suggested that Phillipa poisoned her, although I don't recall that ever being said explicitly in the game itself. She definitely admitted to bewitching her by modifying the cure. I guess it could be that the priest thing was a red herring, or maybe it ties in to one of the "16 endings" thing.

CDProjekt has released a 1.1 patch for the game that fixes certain bugs, improves performance, contains the "Troll Trouble" DLC that people have been having trouble downloading and (here's the kicker) removes the DRM from any and all versions that came with it. What's more, they have announced another patch, apparently for next week.

Well, I have to say hats off to you guys at CDProjekt.

(Info here: http://www.en.thewitcher.com/community/entry/35/)

It was pretty funny seeing the ragefests going on at various forums (except the official one because there still isn't one yet) when it got delayed and then they briefly put it up before taking it down again.

By the way, for owners of the GOG version, you need to get the patch from the GOG site. It's available via the game card on your account page. Also (somewhat annoyingly) the patch will wipe your config settings, so you'll have to redo them.

Yeah the wandering around in Chapter 1 looking for nests wasn't aided by the rotating mini-map - made it impossible to get your bearings. I'm not sure who thought that would be a good idea.

Thanks to Antihero on the Codex and GOG, the minimap is now at least somewhat useable: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/mod_minimap_direction_pointer/page1

He also made looking at the items in my inventory (especially crafting diagrams) actually bearable, with his tooltips mod: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/tooltips_mod/page1

2 simple mods, but they improve the game in a very tangible way.

Does anybody else experience any sign of lag while playing "The Witcher 2?"

I have constant frame-rate lag while in the prologue, and I've done everything to try and fix it, (aka, I installed the beta drivers, turned off 3D Vision, lowered "all" settings to low) and even then the frame-rate is still sloppy in some areas of the game (especially with the dragon sequence).

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

System Specs:

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS

Clock Speed: 2399 MHz

Physical Memory: (In other-words: A RAM) 3.99 GB

VRAM: 512 MB

Graphic Card Driver Version: 270.61

Sound Adapter: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Sound Driver Version: 6.0.1.5657

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium (64 bit)

Direct X Version: DirectX 10.0 (Aug2009) or later

EDIT: Game is patched to version 1.1

Hrmm thought the 9500 GS was a mobile-only GPU. Anyway, the point still stands - it's old and gutless. You need something with a bit more omph for current-gen gaming. You should be able to pick up a 4xx series card pretty cheap now. There might be someone that has a 2xx series card (or something of a similar vintage) laying around that they can donate to your cause.

I've actually been pretty happy with my PC's performance. I have yet to experience any stutter whatsoever, and the only place I've seen the streaming result in any texture pop-in at all was the inn in Flotsam (happened very rarely, once or twice in the 15 or so times I went through the inn). I didn't look at average frame rates, but I honestly don't care about the exact numbers as long as it is high enough that nothing seems 'off'.

I run TWitcher 2 at 1920x1200, with everything on highest settings/enabled except the following:

Texture Memory Size (set on Large)

Shadow Quality (Medium, still looks nice, can't see much difference between it and High)

# of Shadowed lights (High)

Depth of Field Gameplay (Disabled. Turned it on for a bit, and not bad performance, but I didn't like how it looked)

Motion Blur (Disabled. Not sure how it might affect performance, but I don't like how it looks.)

Cinematic Depth of Field (Disabled.)

Dangling Objects Limit (Disabled. I think this is actually a higher setting than enabled.)

UberSampling (Disabled.)

Vertical Sync (Disabled, cause I don't get tearing.)

SPECS:

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3GHz

Graphic Card: 2-card SLI GTX 260 (216) (Both are XFX Black Editions, which actually perform better than 280s in a number of games, so don't necessarily look at this as representative of what you'd get with another 2x260 SLI rig)

RAM: 4 GB

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium (64 bit)

Mobo: Can't remember off the top of my head, can't be bothered to look.

Since my build is no longer an especially expensive or new one, I've been a bit mystified by all the people with performance problems.

TWitcher 2 is the first game that I haven't been able to play on the very highest settings at 1900x1200 in the 3 years since I built this PC. So I probably have a few more years before games that I can't play on any settings come out, and it's upgrade time.

Well, I have an ATI card and have had no issues whatsoever with the game. Before the patch it worked smoothly on settings slightly above the high preset and after the patch it works just as smoothly, but on ultra settings (with ubersampling disabled).

The 1.2 patch is out. Download via the launcher or here - http://www.en.thewitcher.com/patch1-2/

The patch includes all the pre-order DLC and new hairstyle DLC.

LOL @ "Removed Islamic themed textures".

Did a quick search, apparently there was a rug in the brothel that looked like a prayer rug. Oops.

The surprisingly small amount of overreaction drama makes me happy.

For those that don't have a capable PC but have a 360, The Witcher 2 should soon be in your grasp.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-the-witcher/714516

The real announcement was the first second they revealed the radial menu.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived