Home

Monkey Island 2 in scurvy inducing 3D

Guy.brush

Ok here it is. I think it deserves it's own thread, cause the old "Special Edition" one got pretty crowded.

I refined the 3d models of the Mix'n Mojo and Captain Dread's ship a little more (the ones I got by projecting the original concept art onto 3d geometry). For traditional real-time usage a proper UV texture layout was needed but after that it was very easy to get them into Cryengine.

With all the shaders in place, some little normal mapping, HDR, cloud shadows and other fancy pants high-tech stuff the rendering quality easily surpasses the one from Maya, and it's real-time!

The environment around the sets is just there to enhance the feeling of the place a little bit and have a nice little Caribbean island night atmosphere.

The original Voodooshack interior is impossible to get into an exterior that would look like the skull one in the original game. That is one of the advantages of 2d, you aren't restricted by stuff like this. In 3d you need to find other solutions.

So I just put it into a rough tent and stuck it into the swamp. Building the whole exterior with the skull and the jaw elevator would've been a little too much work for the limited free time I have right now :)

Also the voodoo swamp is basically a mixture of the scabb island graveyard and the original swamp. It was just a mockup to have a nice surrounding environment for the Mix'n Mojo. I used existing assets for the twisted trees and the graves.

I might release the "level" I built as a mod download in the future. I would still need to fix some little bugs so stay tuned for this.

It's called "Chicken Crysis on Monkey island" and features some basic gameplay. You need to unleash Pollo El Diablo by feeding it Voodoobananas...

Oh and please try to ignore the fact that you play as Nomad from Crysis...I didn't have a cartoony character model readily available :)

monkey2_cryengine_01_sm.jpg

monkey2_cryengine_02_sm.jpg

monkey2_cryengine_03_sm.jpg

monkey2_cryengine_04_sm.jpg

I hope that video doesn't give off the impression that my vision of Monkey2 in 3D is a first-person shooter with Nanosuit Guy as Next-Gen Guybrush. I just didn't have a 3d Guybrush readily available and just ran around in Crysis mode. :)

Of course it should be 3rd person! If I find the time I might do some camera mockup to try fixed camera angles that can move silghtly when the player moves to the left or the right. But it doesn't make sense when your player model is Nomad. :)

Guy.brush...

wow

Edit: This is so spot on. I love it. I want it. I need it.

In a way it's also awesome having the free movement throughout the world. Swimming under the jetty etc... so cool. I could spend an awfully long time just exploring this world. It's amazing dude, and true to the atmosphere of MI that has gone astray in the more recent sequels. Well done.

I can't get over how good this is! This is the 3D tech that should've been waited for rather than attempting it with EMI 10 years ago. I thought (and still think) that TMI finally got it right with regard to the 3D stuff... but this is better. This is pure Monkey Island.

Somebody please pay this man to convert the first 4 games to this glory.

Very well done sir! You nailed the atmosphere (lightning & colors) ! :-)

Even though the video have shaders and HDR the colors/graphics still fits in. It just feels more fresh without ruining the old feeling. I think nailing the colors right allow it to have lots of shaders and HDR without ruining it. I could seriously play this and be a happy MI2 fan. I think that is a very high grade. :-) So again well done to say the least!

When I viewed the video I noticed the colors from the original concept art, and I thought "Woa its from those MI2 concept art pics. How did he get those 2d pics into 3d so well done? Awesome!"

Thanks a lot for doing this! I love it! :-)

Edit:

I also wish LucasArts could _afford_ (hah) to make MI games with licensing such a nice engine.

Or that heads at Crytek would be uber MI fans, and would let Telltale Games use the Cryengine for free. Hah. xD

The 2d pics.

http://www.mixnmojo.com/galleries/gallery.php?gallery=111&image=743

http://www.mixnmojo.com/galleries/gallery.php?gallery=111&image=742

Or that heads at Crytek would be uber MI fans, and would let Telltale Games use the Cryengine for free. Hah. xD

To be geeky, Telltale probably wouldn't take it any way. They go for the scalable-performance, small-download theory (their games are generally 100-200 MB per episode), while this baby won't come under 2 Gigs by my reckoning.

Archived