Home

Monkey Island 2 in scurvy inducing 3D

Guy.brush

To be geeky, Telltale probably wouldn't take it any way. They go for the scalable-performance, small-download theory (their games are generally 100-200 MB per episode), while this baby won't come under 2 Gigs by my reckoning.

Fine by me... at least it'll be 2 gigs worth downloading unlike some *ahem* recent re-release from LEC :)

hmm don't think it will make a difference by now. Lot's of top level sites have reported about it and linked directly to the site. I just don't want Internet Rumor Mill to take over and people bitch that LucasArts forced it or anything. It's down due to the very real fear that my provider will call in the Russians to collect the bill ;)

So I need expert's help on two items.

I looked at Wally's and sadly there is no picture of the tilted shiphouse from outside that is readable enough to correctly model it. The interior is no problem but outside? If you look long enough at the Woodtick panorama there seems to be a structural bridge thing where the door is going in but it's not very readable.

Another question: Theoretically, if you would do a Giant Monkey head, which version would you choose? The original Purcell sketch?

http://home.comcast.net/~ervind/monkhead.html

Or a mixture? To bad that the concept art for this is not the same angle as the original game screen.

I'm just curious about people's opinions about the two things.

Hm, looking at a screenshot, I'd say Wally's ship is directly attached to the main "road", it looks as though the poop deck has been used as a door, the top of the ship is definatly pointing towards the camera. On second though, there must be a short bridging thing to cross a gap, as the main road goes on, but if it was directly attached to the ship, the railing of the back of the poop deck would be in the way.

I cooked up a quick scetch, this is the way I see it.

woodtick.jpg

Also, if you look at the screenshot carefully, you'll notice that Wally's ship is supported by two big (sharp?) rocks.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
full4.gif

As for the second thing, I think a mixture is best, proportions of the Giant Monkey head ingame, and some details from the concept. Ingame meaning the one from The Secret of Monkey Island.

My advice would be to go for the in-game Monkey Head. The tears of blood effect is too cool to pass up.

As for Woodtick though... that's where the problems with 3D-ifying come into play. You clearly don't that explaining to you, but I would trust your artistic license on this one. Find a happy compromise between the physical geography and the outward appearance, and only focus on making the interiors exactly match up to the in-game appearance. From what we've seen of your stuff so far, you understand the atmosphere of these games well enough to pull off a slightly-modified 3D Woodtick that remains true to the original.

Good luck!

hoho Woodtick is still far far off in the realm of the impossible. Doing the whole of Woodtick would be insane for me alone. No freetime for the next year haha, especially cause there seems to exist no concept art for it. I just now saw that the mast for Wallys ship stil exists and reaches into the water...

Thanks for the sketch trilobyte!

Doing Wally interior is no problem, doing exterior mock-up might be feasible, but it will be a rough estimation.

If I'd want to really redo the game I would constrain the camera to roughly the same angles (with some leeway left and right, up down) so modelling only the interior and not concentrating on a good looking exterior would be enough...

hoho Woodtick is still far far off in the realm of the impossible. Doing the whole of Woodtick would be insane for me alone. No freetime for the next year haha, especially cause there seems to exist no concept art for it. I just now saw that the mast for Wallys ship stil exists and reaches into the water...

Thanks for the sketch trilobyte!

Whoa I missed the mast too, lol. I thought it was part of a door. but with a mast in the way, that means there's a lot more space between the catwalk/road and the ship.

And I also missed the stairs.

Archived