Home

New Detention Center Screenshots

DarkStarMojo

Just a heads up, new detention center screenshots are up in the main gallery on the mod website.

I'll be prepping for a job (hopefully something in game design or comics) in the next few months so I'm not sure how things will progress after the next build of the mod. But I'm shooting for the next release to be late this year (Xmas) or early next year (New Years). It will include the new version of detention center and Ramses Hed, among other updates and improvements.

Looks great!

I just played it yesterday, and this map felt the most incomplete in the demo.

Will those code cards be implemented in this version?

Will the elevator puzzle be implemented properly? I found it a bit disappointing that

all you needed was the key and you could just jump into the shaft without setting up the elevators before that properly.

I also miss the see-through ceilings in the elevators, which was a nice hint on the shaft.

Why is the bugs thread closed? Don't you like essential feedback?

I attempted to implement the elevator puzzle in the original version but the team decided to remove it. I won't say whether it will be in this version or not (mostly because I'm not sure how effectively we can pull it off in JKA).

I'm not a moderator so I have no control over what threads get locked/re-opened. I should probably contact Darth Linux about that or an LFN administrator.

Thanks for the feedback!

Lookin' sweet, DSM! I think I've told you once before, but the level design you guys have done on this project look even better than what Raven did with the game's levels. I never feel like I'm playing a Quake III engine game when I play this mod. It feels like a game from a slightly newer generation, like Doom 3 (which I suppose is fitting since the original Dark Forces was inspired by the original Doom).

So will Madine's liberation be more interactive in the rewrite of the level? Will it have a proper cutscene with someone playing the voices of Kyle and Crix?

Looking forward to the Christmas demo! Keep up the excellent work!

I'm not a moderator so I have no control over what threads get locked/re-opened. I should probably contact Darth Linux about that or an LFN administrator.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll just post the bugs I encountered and overall feedback right here then.

Bugs:

secbase:

- The circular elevator platforms are mostly black when looked at from the bottom.

sewers:

- Clipping errors when looking down the various falls.

gromas:

- I don't know if I missed something, but I got stuck, as I mentioned in the other thread. Even after noclipping everywhere, I couldn't figure out what's wrong.

dtention:

- mission text is overlapping the buttons, and the scroll bar is inoperable.

- in the mountain area at the beginning, there are a few strange holes between the wall and the floor in some spots, you can see the sky through.

- I could get stuck by jumping behind some crates near the cell.

- The final lift can be operated to go back down, but not up again, so you're stuck.

- Right after jumping across the elevator shafts, at the crusher, you can see through the wall when jumped onto it (not before death is unavoidable, though).

In all levels:

- Those floating black spheres look distorted during their attack. And they'll continue hurting even after you destroyed them.

- Some movie sequences show interlacing artifacts. They really should be rendered progressive, as this is a PC game and no console port for TV sets. Also, the movies seem distorted, ie. planets are heavily squeezed. (I'm running the game in a 4:3 resolution with square pixels.)

- You can select other text language than English, but the buttons have no text then.

- Some switches don't work when standing right in front of it. But when I take a step back, they do.

And here is some general feedback about what I think:

What I like:

- The added detail gives the maps a lot. Talay really feels big and like a real city now. The generator is much more believable in this version.

- Some puzzles are altered in a clever way, making it even more worth playing this after the original Dark Forces. The water part in Testbase is a nice example of this.

- Bodies don't throw security keys away like in other games. Instead, you can actually see them in the body's pocket.

- Newly recorded voice acting. Good performance, good directing.

- Honors the order of mission objectives. (In the original game in Secbase, you could get to the roof and pick up the plans afterwards, and you're done without getting back to the roof, which makes no sense. You're solution clearly is more logical.)

What I didn't like:

- At the briefing in the first cutscene, the characters seem to stand ridiculously far away from each other. I'd say, it wouldn't hurt to move them a bit closer together.

- No current in Sewers. No fluid at all in the tube back to the center switch room.

- In Testbase, it seems strange that the Moldy Crow picks you up at a different site. (Was this the case in the original game? I don't remember, but it feels odd.)

- Dtention is my favorite map of the original Dark Forces, since it has some really clever puzzles in it. I just wrote what I think about it.

And about the missing features, I think you're well aware of them. But just in case I missed something: Headlights and batteries for it, player name, grenade throwing animation, automap, supershield, mine jumping. The latter, I could well live without it, but speedrunners would miss it.

And interestingly, you included some very incomplete versions of some later maps in the 6 level demo.

In any case, I'd like to see this mod fixed and finished one day.

Keep up the great work.

They're called interrogators, and what you call a bug is actually a game mechanic - they inject a poison that causes hallucinations and slowly kills you...
I didn't know. In that case, never mind. I didn't play Outcast nor the original Jedi Academy missions yet. I just purchased the collection from Steam a few days ago.

• 2 months later...

have you considerate to use another game engine instead of full conversion? There is a FOSS game engine called Xreal which is based on idTech 3 (quake 3 engine), you can use the src code and yet compile for many platforms (linux, Mac OSx, OpenSolaris and others). I hope that you guys could make a sand-alone game for at least win, linux and mac os x. Oh yeah just in case all devtools are provided also its respective source code.

This post would probably have warranted a separate thread for discussion.

have you considerate to use another game engine instead of full conversion? There is a FOSS game engine called Xreal which is based on idTech 3 (quake 3 engine), you can use the src code and yet compile for many platforms (linux, Mac OSx, OpenSolaris and others). I hope that you guys could make a sand-alone game for at least win, linux and mac os x. Oh yeah just in case all devtools are provided also its respective source code.

I really like the inclusion of HDR in that engine. If it successfully does everything it's supposed to, it should be a relatively powerful engine, especially for an open source project. I don't think it would be worth the time and effort to port everything we've already finished for DFMod and fill in the missing gaps that any port would have due to a lack of JA assets (legally, we couldn't port licensed games to the engine) but I wouldn't be above using the engine for an original game property. ;)

Archived