Home

Dream Game

M@RS

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
'T' rated Mass Effect.

*sigh* You've got to be kidding me...

Just wait 9 years, jeez. The mature content of the game gave the story a much broader range of emotion and scope in its storytelling and made the game that much better.

QFT. The mature content in Mass Effect was one of the highlights of the entire game, and it was most definitely necessary. Especially the relationship story arcs. I've seen very few games with character development that solid. It was brilliant.

Just wait 9 years, jeez. The mature content of the game gave the story a much broader range of emotion and scope in its storytelling and made the game that much better.
No, no, no, no. :ugh:

If "mature" equates to alien sex and violence, all laced with poorly-placed swears embedded in already banal dialogue, then I truly wonder if BioWare in staffed by 15 year olds. When I think of a "mature" storyline, I think of a plot that is intellectual and complex enough to appeal to adults and children and one that doesn't have to always resort to base emotions to provide an experience. At least if ME is given a "Teen" rating, then they're forced to create more content to make up for all of the gratuitous gore and sex, and therefore something decently written might come out of BioWare nowadays. Instead, I'm seeing diabolically sophomoric s*** coming out of them with Dragon Age.

If "mature" equates to alien sex and violence, all laced with poorly-placed swears embedded in already banal dialogue, then I truly wonder if BioWare in staffed by 15 year olds. When I think of a "mature" storyline, I think of a plot that is intellectual and complex enough to appeal to adults and children and one that doesn't have to always resort to base emotions to provide an experience. At least if ME is given a "Teen" rating, then they're forced to create more content to make up for all of the gratuitous gore and sex, and therefore something decently written might come out of BioWare nowadays. Instead, I'm seeing diabolically sophomoric s*** coming out of them with Dragon Age.

A) This isn't about Dragon Age.

B) Since when did Mass Effect have "poorly placed swears embedded in an already banal dialogue?" You make it sound as if they drop the f bomb for no reason, when the strongest thing I remember them uttering were the occasional Damn.

C) Gratuitous gore and sex? What the f*** game where you playing? The most "gore" in it was the occasional blood effects when shooting a humanoid NPC, and I wouldn't call a scene that tastefully shows no nipples or genitals a gratuitous sex scene.

B) Since when did Mass Effect have "poorly placed swears embedded in an already banal dialogue?" You make it sound as if they drop the f bomb for no reason, when the strongest thing I remember them uttering were the occasional Damn.

The dialogue does, however, read like it was written by a pre-pubescent, lobotomised thirteen-year-old.

C) Gratuitous gore and sex? What the f*** game where you playing? The most "gore" in it was the occasional blood effects when shooting a humanoid NPC, and I wouldn't call a scene that tastefully shows no nipples or genitals a gratuitous sex scene.

You mean aside from that they were, as said, they were worse-written than the average episode of Torchwood. But no doubt you think that's 'gritty', 'mature' and well-written, too.

Your entire argument falls apart when you say

When I think of a "mature" storyline, I think of a plot that is intellectual and complex enough to appeal to adults and children and one that doesn't have to always resort to base emotions to provide an experience.
because the fact of the matter is that in order to appeal to both children and adults you need to play off some sort of "base emotion". That's why Pixar films are so successful--not simply because of deep character development, but because they play off emotions that little children can understand and adults can relate to. Meanwhile, a "mature" story must work with higher emotions, specifically emotions riddled with ambiguity. There's a reason why everything in child films is black and white.

Mass Effect succeeds as a mature game not because of the violence and sex (and lets face it, you can hardly say there's "sex" in the game. The 30 second "sex scene" is only the climax for a much deeper and more intricate side-quest in which you're given the opportunity to react with and develop relationships with NPCs. And hey, in the route I took playing with a Female Shepard and choosing Liara as a companion, the game is pretty clear that for Asari's it's not just about the "sex", it's about the mental bond that grows between two people in the process and how they use that relationship to better themselves as individuals. That's hardly "gratuitous" theme--it's a mature concept that most adults in our culture don't recognize), it succeeds because it forces you to develop your character and make choices that actually have weight and meaning. I found it seriously difficult to make "evil" decisions because of the impact they would have on the highly-developed NPCs.

And frankly I don't want to play a "Pixar" version of Mass Effect.

And what version of Mass Effect were you playing, anyways? Like Bongo said, perhaps unless you consistently took the a**hole Renegade character path there was very little language--nothing that you couldn't find in a "T" rated game.

The dialogue does, however, read like it was written by a pre-pubescent, lobotomised thirteen-year-old.

You mean aside from that they were, as said, they were worse-written than the average episode of Torchwood. But no doubt you think that's 'gritty', 'mature' and well-written, too.

First, just throwing this out here... Torchwood *probably* isn't the best example to use on this forum. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. Anyways.

Yes, I will admit that the dialogue isn't comparable with top-notch film or television shows, but just think about this for a moment. Every conversation is scripted with (typically) 6 different dialogue paths, and in a game that has 70+ hours of gameplay... that's a lot of scripting. And then, in addition to all of that, the dialogue options change based on what characters you have in your party and what major actions you've taken in the past. The fact that they accomplished this feat while still making the dialogue engaging and entertaining was a complete breakthrough in the gaming industry. There is a reason that virtually every critic disagrees with you when you claim that the dialogue is puerile. The only validity I can really see in your claim is that, yes, the dialogue does seem somewhat choppy, but again, that was clearly sacrificed for the sake of having free-form conversations.

This discussion, however, isn't just about the dialogue. It's also about the necessity of Mass Effect's mature themes. Imagine for a moment if the game was stripped of everything relating to the relationship story arc, all of the Renegade dialogue options were removed, and you were no longer given the opportunity to make serious morally ambiguous, "mature" decisions (such as when you have to kill Wrex or convince him to destroy the cure for the disease destroying his entire species), and, just for kicks, lets say the free-form dialogue was removed and replaced with slightly better-written linear cutscenes.

Is Mass Effect perfect? Hardly. It was definitely enjoyable, but there were still quite a few flaws. However, if those elements are removed from the game then all that's left is a linear, emotion-less sci-fi shooter with static characters you don't care about (just like almost every other piece of generic crap out there) instead of the massive, interactive role-playing game that truly attempt to let you take your own path and make your own decisions in what feels like a real, immersive, world where the actions you take effect the lives of those around you.

/Rant.

Nerds.

I was playing M-rated games when I was 8. And T-rated games when I was 6.

So you either play M-rated games before the allowed age, or you don't. Some kids are just in homes like that, so you guys really shouldn't be bashing them for that kind of stuff.

Also, I loved playing Mass Effect from start being a massive dick. When you have to deal with those sentient arachnids on Hoth or whatever. I felt a certain level of pleasure being able to flush them down the toilets with a "Uh-huh, that's nice." *kill-so-hard-it-makes-'em-extinct*

Also guys, we're talking about video games here. It can be something like Mass Effect and Ico, or something like 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand and Mad World. Either way, people like Roger Ebert still think it's the same mindless slop that's poisoning the youth.

Edit: Darn, took me too long to write that, damn you IG! *shakes fist*

On topic:

Oh! I know! Okami in 1080p.

Does the PS3 truly upscale when doing backwards compatibility (on the launch consoles)? Cause that sounds wrong, but I think I've heard of it.

Some kids are just in homes like that, so you guys really shouldn't be bashing them for that kind of stuff.

I thought the same thing. M@RS probably just wants to play a cool game without disobeying his parents, regardless of whether it's a bastardization of the original.

And TiE, I've noticed your "dream" games have more to do with increased resolution than anything else. :p

And TiE, I've noticed your "dream" games have more to do with increased resolution than anything else. :p

A-hem...

shadow-of-the-colossus-200505171131.jpg

3953135985_5fc41f4e6a_m.jpg (click!)

I believe my points are valid. :carms:

(I was surprised that the low-rez example is almost exactly the same image as the super-rez one - also, didn't you send me that SotC image, IG? : P)

Oh I know. I gawk at that very high-res picture often, but really that game looked fantastic even on the PS2. Sure, I'd love an HD version, but given a choice wouldn't you rather have a sequel with an all-new run of colossi, which expands upon the story and adds game elements?

Really, they could make a Shadow of the Colossus game that takes several days to beat and I would probably be so transfixed to it I would die from neglecting my own body. >.>

Considering I don't even know what Torchwood is, no.

Please nobody say "the f-bomb" ever again.

"the f-bomb" ever again.

:p

Back on topic, I'd kill for a remake of Ocarina of Time with 360/PS3 level graphics.

EDIT: GTAIVified Sims 3

Yeah, I've always thought having the option to brutally murder fellow sims and avoiding the law would be fun. Something for The Sims 4 I guess.

FFFF:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFfffffFFFFffffffff...ffff.fff.f.ff.ff....ffffff....ff.f.f...f.

FFFFFFFFFFFFffffffffFFFFfffFFFFFFFF.jpg

FFFFFfffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFfffFFFFFFF

Archived