Home

The Awesome Music Thread

VarsityPuppet

Hey guys, I've been going on a bit of a music craze, learning to play songs and/or create my own music.

I thought maybe you LucasForums regulars might have some suggestions of unique, awesome bands I might look into to further my musical knowledge.

Some, I've got-

Rage Against the Machine

System of a Down

Jimi Hendrix

The White Stripes

Tool

Pantera

I'm always up for good rockin' music. Of course, the more individual and unique the music is, the better.

So, how bout it?

Here's a list of fairly unique music, some of it's metal though so I don't know if you'll like it:

-Agalloch - Must check out (Ambient, folk black metal)

-Edge of Sanity (Prog/Melo Death metal)

-Buckethead - Very highly unique (Music crosses every genre/Avant Garde)

-Porcupine Tree (Uncategorisable)

-HORSE the Band (Nintendo metal :p)

-Karaboudjan - Only has one hard to track down EP (Avant Garde)

-Modest Mouse (?)

-Mr Bungle (?)

-One Day As A Lion (Since you like RATM)

-Opeth (Prog/acustic death)

-Praxis (?)

-Strapping Young Lad - Highly unique (?)

-Victor Wooten (Jazz/Bass)

-Bela Fleck and the Flecktones (Jazz)

-uneXpect (Crazy s***)

-Meshuggah

-Arcturus

I have more but I'm drawing a blank right now...

Eh, I'm not much of a rocker/metal head, but I have a few that you might like:

• Dire Straits: Great Music, with songs that are just epic such as Brothers In Arms, to the overplayed (Money For Nothing), to just awesome (Sultans of Swing).
  • Pink Floyd: If you're not into them, get into them, stat!
  • Styx: They have a good mix of the rocker (renegade) and the ballad (Pieces of Eight), worth a check at the very least.
  • Toto: Another good band for a few songs. Hold The Line and Africa and good places to start.

That's all I can come up with off the top of my head right now....

Admittedly most of my contributions will not contain anything terribly current:

Bruce Springsteen: The Boss, one of the truly transcendent artist

The Beatles: some of their catalog is better than other parts but still some of the most timeless music ever.

The Eagles: Hotel California, and Desperado are two of my all time favorite songs

Green Day: I haven't heard their current album, but I like the stuff they've put out in the past

AC/DC: One of the best rock/hard rock/metal whatever you wan to call them bands of all time.

KISS: timeless rock and roll

Aerosmith: I could say the same thing about them as I could KISS and AC/DC but some of their more recent stuff I don't care too much for.

Unfortunately my CD collection was stolen from my car a few months ago so I'm having to rebuild but this is just what I came up with off the top of my head.

One another unique band I should've mentioned but forgot to are The Smashing Pumpkins.

Also:

-Amorphis

-Protest the Hero

-Blackfield

-Celldweller

-The Cure

-Katatonia

-Joe Satriani

-Yngwie Malmsteen

-Beethoven

-Sublime

-Muse

-Ne Obliviscaris

-Nightingale

-Rush

-Nine Inch Nails

-Pink Floyd

-Queen

-Queens of the Stone Age

-Richard Wagner

-Carlos Santana

Albeit not all of those are too "unique". Should keep you pretty occupied, among with some of the other quality bands others have said, like Dire Straits.

Good stuff so far. I've heard a couple of these band you've all been listening. I remember liking Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits.

And actually, the older and more seasoned the music the better. I've found myself listening to mostly bands from the early 90's (soundgarden, pantera, Rage, Tool, etc...). I used to like some current rock bands, but then I actually got good taste and stopped listening to them.

and for some reason, I don't like Metallica. Could never get into them. Don't know why.

Keep 'em coming. I'm always looking for music. I've already got a ton to look up, but I'm...

GREEDY

EDIT: I love puscifer and APC-- hell, anything with Maynard just rocks anyways. kudos to you Rtas Vadum

I have stopped trying to put a lid on just what exactly is my type of music. I am a DJMC and go through tens of thousands of tracks. Most are good, some sound like they put a recorder mic where the sun don't shine and ran up and down stairs with it, then took it and tried to make some kind of beat with it and rap to it.

So on a lighter note for laughs, we are now 8-bit renditioning heavy metal tracks:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Canderis: Yes, very unique bands you have there :/

Ping: Ah, excellent choice you have there, good band

GTA: OMG! You have just made my day good sir, I award you with the entire internet. o_Q

Oh and VarsityPuppet a few more bands you might wanna check out:

-Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

-Deli Creeps

-The Butterfly Effect

-Karnivool (Aussie version of Tool :D)

-Birds of Tokyo

Hooray for unique bands :D

Just ask if you want any more

If my selection isn't uneqe enough then how about:

Skillet

Pillar

Red

Black Stone Cherry

Revelations Theory/Rev Theory

EDIT:

Just remembered more:

Cold

Crossfade

DEcyfer Down

Depswa

Egypt Central

All That Remains

Rise Against

The Used

Smile Empty Soul

Stereoside

Thornley (Base player is the cousin of Adam from TDG)

30 Seconds to Mars

For all you APC fans, I'd recommend a little band called Failure, whose song The Nurse Who Loved Me was covered by APC. It was one of the best alternative bands ever, and if you disagree you don't deserve to be able to hear. :carms:

If you like what you hear and also like some indie every once in a while, check out Autolux, whose guitarist is Failure's old bassist.

-Metal band

-Metal band

-Queens of the Stone Age

-Metal band

-Metal band

I see you like metal bands and Queens of the Stone Age. Might I recommend Kyuss?

For all you APC fans, I'd recommend a little band called Failure, whose song The Nurse Who Loved Me was covered by APC. It was one of the best alternative bands ever, and if you disagree you don't deserve to be able to hear. :carms:

If you like what you hear and also like some indie every once in a while, check out Autolux, whose guitarist is Failure's old bassist.

I see you like metal bands and Queens of the Stone Age. Might I recommend Kyuss?

I shall check it out. Though, I'm more of a Maynard fan than APC. His voice is heavenly... and this is coming from a guy :p

Rtas and Canderis stole my suggestions of Lacuna Coil, Kamelot, Red, and Skillet. If you like that style of music, give Epica a try also, as well as Within Temptation. acdcfanbill suggested Rhapsody of Fire since I enjoy symphonic metal--I like a few of their songs but they're a little too screamy for my taste. I like anything by Paul McCartney, from Beatles to Wings to his current music. Music written by Sting is great, and I have U2, Genesis/Phil Collins, and Elton John on my iPod as some of my favorites.

Rtas and Canderis stole my suggestions of Lacuna Coil, Kamelot, Red, and Skillet.

I've seen Red in concert before. I had a little trouble taking them seriously....

The lead singer at the time had some sort of eye tattoo like a visor of some sort... and he looked like Jerec. I just couldn't get over it.

I'm not very up to date on the best bands out there, so here's what I like that I'd suggest to anyone looking for epic music:

-Two Steps From Hell

-X-Ray Dog

-Breaking Benjamin

-Immediate Music

-Epic Score

-Future World Music

-Brand X Music

-Globus

-AudioMachine

A lot of this music is overused in movies and commercials, so don't be surprised if any of it sounds familiar.

how bout some fairly unique ones that i haven't recommended before:

Showbread - this band is always experimenting with new stuff and techniques, and their latest album The Fear of God is just a blast to listen to.

Becoming the Archetype - what a fantastic band to listen to. they're a hardcore/screamo band that does a lot of technical stuff with all the instruments (especially guitar), and they even throw in a bit of keyboard on a number of songs as well. its a really unique sound, and if you enjoy hardcore, you'll love these guys.

Dichotomy

Archived