Home

Cannot connect to a Network

Tobias Reiper

For some strange reason, my computer can't cannot to any networks but can still connect to the internet, just not any of my games that connect to the internet which are mostly on Steam, and even that won't connect.

I tried going into the folder and pressing the connect button, but the folder just starts to load and never finishes, producing an odd effect of showing what was behind it, like the desktop.

I tried running my computer in safe mode, and it worked, problem is, I'll start playing a game and it'll just exit out on it's own after the launcher, so it's just as useless, and when I go back to normal mode, it isn't connected anymore.

Is there any way to fix this?

Well, you could check the properties of your internet connection to see that file sharing and networking is enabled, but that doesn't sound like the right problem to me, since that shouldn't affect gaming. My guess is that either you have a software firewall (windows or other) with settings you're not familiar with, or your router is blocking/not forwarding the ports for your games.

Are you on vista or xp?

Windows's firewall can be troublesome sometimes and block things you dont want it to block.

Once youve done what Bill and D333 have suggested, have a look into your firewall exceptions as well.

I networking app I thououghly recommend is network magic. It isnt free but really sorts networking out in windows. They recently got bought up by Cisco so they must be doing something right. There is a free trial at networkmagic.com

mtfbwya

Archived