Home

Praise the President?

Ten-96

The two elderly ladies supported the Conservatives and UKIP (what would be your "Republican" or right wing)

Actually, they'd be equivalent to the liberal end of the Democrats. Our 'centre' is the US' idea of loony-left. :p

And just to answer a rather unrelated point, the song's lyrics about Obama couldn't really be described as religious, but it is hard to deny that there has been a distinctly messianic tinge to the aura surrounding your new President, and particularly the terms in which his election has been couched.

Perhaps that's because he had a snowball's chance in hell, I don't know. What I do know is that in four or eight years you won't be able to kick him out fast enough.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
....it is hard to deny that there has been a distinctly messianic tinge to the aura surrounding your new President, and particularly the terms in which his election has been couched.

Perhaps that's because he had a snowball's chance in hell, I don't know. What I do know is that in four or eight years you won't be able to kick him out fast enough.

Hell, we couldn't kick him out fast enough now, never mind 4-8 years from now. :devsmoke: Seriously, though, I saw the other day where not all of his opposition had bad things to say about him. However, much of the good seemed to be to the effect that he hadn't completely unraveled Iraq w/ a precipitous w/drawl and that he'd paid some attention to Afghanistan (current flap about Gen. McChrystal notwithstanding).

@Bim--

@Ten-96-- where exactly is this more than one video or the systematic liberal conspiracy you think it to be? All indications point to it not being anything more than what has already been discussed to death. The "hear us Obama, Deliver us Obama" bit that you are objecting so vehemently to is...well..different how? from the Jesus camp shenaniganry (not just the clip I posted, but the whole political movement shown in the movie)? It's not, just you're worried since it's about a Democrat i.e. Obama.

The difference is that the Obama crap is being done in the public school system and had it been about Jesus or some other religious figure there would have been a hue and cry about "Seperation of Church and State" from the left, esp atheists. The problem isn't Obama the democrat, but Obama the radical political figure and the types that have followed him into govt. Given the love of politicians and lawyers for precedent, anything he does to "fundamentally transform" America will be very difficult to reverse. If only it were as simple as you seem to believe that the people in govt are so easily interchangable w/little to no obvious difference.

The difference is that the Obama crap is being done in the public school system and had it been about Jesus or some other religious figure there would have been a hue and cry about "Seperation of Church and State" from the left, esp atheists. The problem isn't Obama the democrat, but Obama the radical political figure and the types that have followed him into govt. Given the love of politicians and lawyers for precedent, anything he does to "fundamentally transform" America will be very difficult to reverse. If only it were as simple as you seem to believe that the people in govt are so easily interchangable w/little to no obvious difference.

show me a systematically increasing number of videos showing school children singing songs about Obama, and I'll believe you. Hell, show me multiple videos of said children singing about him from different school districts, and then I'll agree it's a big problem.

As it is now, it is simply a single teacher behaving inappropriately. Nothing terrible to the extent you and the other posters are exaggerating.

As it is now, it is simply a single teacher behaving inappropriately. Nothing terrible to the extent you and the other posters are exaggerating.

..... As this one occurred during Black History month and was only released on Yuotube recently, it's impossible to say with certitude how much of this has been going on around the country. That the Dept of Ed would think to include materials for his recent speech that had the students consider what they would do to help the President's agenda (hence politicizing the event) says that the "adults" in charge probably need to go back to school themselves for civics lessons.

I would disagree with you in the sense that I'm not claiming a conspiracy so much as yet more of the same kind of behavior from progressive libs. They tend to predominate heavily in areas like education, media, etc... Since they are obviously libs in the contemporary sense, it is the "liberals" fault. They've certainly created an environment where these kinds of people feel very comfortable doing something like this.

Actually, I've not exaggerated anything. I pointed out above that it's impossible with certitude to determine how widespread this is. We both agree that it's inappropriate. The one jumping to hyperbole was you w/Jesus Camp. When Jesus Camp makes it's debut in the public school system, I'll complain then. ;) If you want numbers of incidents (and are actually interested beyond using rhetorical devices) google it or try youtube. I don't claim that large numbers have been documented, as even a handfull would be odius enough.

Actually, I've not exaggerated anything. I pointed out above that it's impossible with certitude to determine how widespread this is. We both agree that it's inappropriate. The one jumping to hyperbole was you w/Jesus Camp. When Jesus Camp makes it's debut in the public school system, I'll complain then. ;) If you want numbers of incidents (and are actually interested beyond using rhetorical devices) google it or try youtube. I don't claim that large numbers have been documented, as even a handfull would be odius enough.

Fair enough, I see your point. I don't believe this is any more widespread than Jesus Camp-esque shenanigans are. We are agreed in that this shouldn't have happened at all..... I just seriously doubt it's widespread.

"Beyond the Fringe"; Jonathan Miller, now a director; Alan Bennett, who is surely one of the greatest playwrights writing in English at the moment; perhaps most famous for the Talking Heads series of monologues commissioned for the BBC and The History Boys; Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, the great comedians; both, unfortunately, dead.

Anyway, I'm afraid I've dragged the thread off topic.

Just to be clear, I am opposed to anyone trying to force their political views on children - be they Conservative or Liberal. However, praying for the President and sing a song of praise to the President seem to be two completely different things to me.

As a former Marine, I agree with this statement.

(However, living in the midwest, I see a lot of stuff that has been going on the past eight years that makes Jesus Camp look like Romper Room in comparison, including folks who seemed convinced that Bush was the Second Coming of Jesus.)

But let me make one thing clear, as deplorable as I find BOTH sides on nonsense like this, I swore an oath to uphold THE CONSTITUTION, not the FLAG.

The Flag is cloth and dye, and any politician, left OR right can wrap themselves in it and say they know what's best for this country.

And they're usually lying, they know what's best for themselves, their PAC contributors, and their political party.

And I learned (as my father did before me in Viet Nam) that when some yahoo of a politician wraps himself in the flag AND the Bible, they're lying through their TEETH.

• 1 month later...
show me a systematically increasing number of videos showing school children singing songs about Obama, and I'll believe you. Hell, show me multiple videos of said children singing about him from different school districts, and then I'll agree it's a big problem.

Hmm....

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/jjmnolte/2009/11/04/elementary-epidemic-11-uncovered-videos-show-school-children-performing-praises-to-obama/

Well, that sure does look like lots of students singing songs about Obama.

and to be honest.....I couldn't care less. On the list of important things wrong in our society, having schoolchildren identify with a role model is pretty far down it. Is it right for the teachers to have done this? No. Do I really care? Also a big resounding no.

Remember the whole "intelligent design" debacle? Religious nuts wanted to push outright lies and theology into the science classroom. Most people with a brain objected, and this war on science hasn't gotten far thankfully (as if the US needs another reason to be further behind the rest of the world in science). This could be seen as a counter point to that. Some teachers getting the genius idea of using class time and resources to espouse their love for Obama, with most people with a brain objecting. However, in terms of what is more detrimental to the children, singing about the current sitting president or the undermining of science....I'm going to pick the undermining of science. Singing songs is pretty much harmless.

Children, especially in middle and high school, are more than capable of detecting bullscheisse and are also quite adept at forming their own opinions. As I've said before, I've had the misfortune to have numerous extremely liberal activist teachers in my pre-college career. It hasn't affected my political leanings one bit (if you think I'm a liberal...or even left leaning...your definitions suck). Give the kids some credit.

I've changed my opinions on this whole matter...I really just don't care about kids singing about Obama. It doesn't affect me, doesn't offend me, doesn't even bother me. This whole issue just seems like a waste of time; there has got to be some issue more pressing than this...

Ah.... shifting sands and goalposts. I only added that link for you b/c I recently saw something about it and recalled your demanding more evidence. Apparently far more prevelent than the Jesus Camp that scared the bejesus out of you. Actually, you're correct about this much, not all kids are buffaloed by the bs in school.....especially in the field of the pseudoscience of man-made global warming. Unfortunately, not all kids are as discriminating in what they believe as you'd like people to believe. Get kids while they're young and the most defenseless and you're going to sway sufficient numbers of them over time (afterall, that was an underlying fear you have about the Jesus camp people......even though a lot of atheists started out as theists). Btw, if they were merely singing songs to a president, that'd be one thing. Songs glorifying the man are something else. If you hear the same kinds of lies often enough and uncontested, well, you do the math.

I've changed my opinions on this whole matter...I really just don't care about kids singing about Obama. It doesn't affect me, doesn't offend me, doesn't even bother me. This whole issue just seems like a waste of time; there has got to be some issue more pressing than this...

I would have responded a lot sooner but I was off and went to DC on Thursday to protest the health care system takeover.

I agree that there more things that are far more important to be discussed about this President and his administration. This topic is just one of the many things that should be noted.

I would have responded a lot sooner but I was off and went to DC on Thursday to protest the health care system takeover.

I agree that there more things that are far more important to be discussed about this President and his administration. This topic is just one of the many things that should be noted.

First, I wish I had a job with vacation time as flexible as yours.

Second, this particular topic has absolutely nothing to do with the administration currently in office. What I mean by that (to preempt replies of "are you blind") is simply to say that there has been no legislation, executive order, mandate, or anything whatsoever from on high dictating, requiring, or requesting songs be sung for Obama. As Totenkopf (rightfully) says, it is simply adoration for/of him. I don't agree with it but I also am not bothered by it.

To say that this topic is about the President or his administration would be as incorrect as if I had said Jesus Camp was a directive of the Bush admin....both cases are just people off their rocker looking for attention. Not the stuff of policy, official or unofficial.

Archived