Home

Why do I care that it's an MMO?

Dan.Willcocks

Talking of SOE, LA and Bioware, to my knowledge the Dev team are not the Dev team from KotOR, apart from maybe Drew and a couple of peeps, but are in fact ex-SOE and new devs to the SW/MMO scene. At first this was terrible news to me, but in hindsight the utter hatred of SWG on the interwebs may push the Team to never ignore a player again lol.

I've heard that too. Something about TOR being Bioware Austin's game and the big RPG games actually having come from Bioware Edmunton. I really hope that isn't the case because I really want a Star Wars MMO I'll enjoy... But I've seen so many MMO's with great potential end up flaming out due to odd developer decisions despite marketplace evidence to the contrary.

Well that and the fact that EA will show Bioware no mercy if TOR doesn't stay a lot more successful than WAR.

Yep, thats what made me laugh when Sean and others are referring to us as their fans hehe... I'm a Bioware Edmonton Fan, so far I haven't got anything of Bioware Austins to be a fan of, apart from the Cinematic, but that was probably contracted out.

If ANYTHING Blizz does with WoW, it is listen to the community.

This is what ruined the game for me. Blizz listened to all the QQ whiners and turned the Warcraft universe of hardship, trials, and dark ordeals into something of a cakewalk. Lollipops and rainbows took the place of blade and thunderheads. I hope that SWTOR is run something like a republic, instead of a democracy. In other words, listen to the people, but interpret what they say, not take it at face value. If the community cries out for rock to get nerfed, scissor to get buffed, and paper to be left alone, don't do it; introduce hammer and chisel instead. :thmbup1:

Yep, thats what made me laugh when Sean and others are referring to us as their fans hehe... I'm a Bioware Edmonton Fan, so far I haven't got anything of Bioware Austins to be a fan of, apart from the Cinematic, but that was probably contracted out.
Yeah I don't remember who they said did it, but another company did make the cinematic.

This is what ruined the game for me. Blizz listened to all the QQ whiners and turned the Warcraft universe of hardship, trials, and dark ordeals into something of a cakewalk. Lollipops and rainbows took the place of blade and thunderheads. I hope that SWTOR is run something like a republic, instead of a democracy. In other words, listen to the people, but interpret what they say, not take it at face value. If the community cries out for rock to get nerfed, scissor to get buffed, and paper to be left alone, don't do it; introduce hammer and chisel instead. :thmbup1:

The problems only really come in when they do any of the following:

1) Nerf Rock because Scissors is complaining.

2) Nerf Scissors and buff Rock instead of just trying one or the other first.

3) Introduce Hammer/Chisel (which beats Rock, Scissors and Paper) because nobody could beat Rock.

4) Keep buffing Rock even though he never stopped beating Scissors.

5) Buff Paper because Rock is beating Scissors too heavily.

3) Introduce Hammer/Chisel (which beats Rock, Scissors and Paper) because nobody could beat Rock.

By hammer and chisel I was trying to refer more to teamwork, players of different classes using their different abilities in combination to defeat their enemy. Sorry for the misunderstanding. But I agree with the rest of what you said. :)

I wasn't really clear with what I intended my main point to be, however. What I really think would go a long way with mmos is for the devs and the community to understand and accept that the devs know what works best, for the most part at least. A vast majority in the society of complainers are crying out for change simply because they're too lazy to learn how to play their class effectively. These are really the players that I think should be ignored by the devs when considering changes. Not just changes to the game mechanics, but changes that could influence the lore of the world the game is set in. For example: x number of players are complaining the the racial ability y of a certain race is overpowered and unfair; in response the devs grant racial ability y' to a different race, where y=y', the only difference being the name of the ability. Dumb idea! Anyway, that's my rant for the year. :p

By hammer and chisel I was trying to refer more to teamwork, players of different classes using their different abilities in combination to defeat their enemy. Sorry for the misunderstanding. But I agree with the rest of what you said. :)

I wasn't really clear with what I intended my main point to be, however. What I really think would go a long way with mmos is for the devs and the community to understand and accept that the devs know what works best, for the most part at least. A vast majority in the society of complainers are crying out for change simply because they're too lazy to learn how to play their class effectively. These are really the players that I think should be ignored by the devs when considering changes. Not just changes to the game mechanics, but changes that could influence the lore of the world the game is set in. For example: x number of players are complaining the the racial ability y of a certain race is overpowered and unfair; in response the devs grant racial ability y' to a different race, where y=y', the only difference being the name of the ability. Dumb idea! Anyway, that's my rant for the year. :p

Heheh, no worries. There were some legitimate things to nerf too though. I can think of my Lock and losing my 14k (Pre-PC) Soulfire Crits due to the bug with curse of elements. That was a legitimate nerf. But then they just kept on nerfing until Locks were completely useless in everything. For example, when I started, Soul Link gave 30% damage to the pet... now I think it gives 10%. The funny things is, this has taken all survivability from the ability to the point it seems useless. Now they moved it all the way down the tree, but it was a 30 point talent that got nerfed until it was an 11 point talent. Why? Because people couldn't figure out that they had to kill the Lock's PET first...

• 3 months later...
When I watch a movie, I keep silent, and I expect all of my other "friends" and anyone else to keep quiet, lest they incur my wrath. So, the analogy equates to a typically non-social activity to an indirectly social one.But, if the movie sucks, then why should I see it, unless if I simply want me all of my "friends" to satire it? :confused:On the contrary, there's a plethora of MP-only games that only feature that...If the genre in question wasn't a complete cash-in, designed to reel in the player's money with a repetitive reward-based formula, then I'd have no qualms. Unfortunately, I do.Of course. This isn't the point here, however. We're talking about the cancellation of K3, a single-player RPG, with the intent of producing an MMO, in an attempt to win over to genre fans and their monies. It's pigeon-holing one group to win over another; plain and simple.

Maybe if MMOs weren't watered down SPRPGs, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. Maybe if MMOs didn't charge a ridiculous amount of money for little physical product, then I'd feel content. Maybe if there was both a KotOR MMO and a single-player K3, then I'd have no qualms with simply playing K3 and ignoring the MMO, while leaving others to pick and choose. Unfortunately, this isn't a perfect world...

Well said, you know those boffins conduct experiments on rats and **** to find out how to best maximize addiction? Truly disturbing.

I have the impression that people complaining about TOR being an MMO focus mainly on technical issues. As for myself, I don't think I'm going to buy it, play it and pay for it, but for a different reason. Games like Kotor and TSL - as well as many other single-player RPGs have one thing the MMOs will NEVER have, despite the latter's replay value, socializing potential etc. To put it simply you would NEVER be Revan in an MMO. In fact, in an MMO universe, you're just an average nobody, like thousands of other players; eventually you can of course arrive at something, get super abilities, weapons armor etc, but you will never be THE ONE, which you always were in single-player RPGs. I mean it's OK, but playing an online RPG is just getting for a moment into a different world, with its trinkets, force powers, magic, swords or lightsabers, but it's not really getting into another engrossing story. I guess.

• 2 months later...

I've said this before, but If its free to play, I wont play. Do you think there will be any updates, new gear, planets, quests, Holiday events, gifts, tie ins added to the game after launch... if they aren't getting anymore revenue? nope. Thats what makes an MMO playable, why lag out on a game full of kids and a$$holes online when its really just a SPRPG? this will without doubt be pay to play. And don't get me wrong free MMO's work and have players but not something on this scale.

its going to be $***!!! a flop, a waste of time and money, and the worste idea they could have ever dremt up. Take out the online prospective and what would you have??

A horrible excuse for a sequal. what would be the point in buying and suscribing to something thats clearly inferior to the rpg's in both storyline , graphics and just general gameplay feeling. the only reason its online is so that they can suck the life out of your funs each month lol . I have tried to get into it by watching trailers diaries and all that ... but i just cant lol it looks terrible lol sorry to say to the creators but damn lol ---so bottom line, take it offline and you've got NOTHING .

its going to be $***!!! a flop, a waste of time and money, and the worste idea they could have ever dremt up. Take out the online prospective and what would you have??

A horrible excuse for a sequal. what would be the point in buying and suscribing to something thats clearly inferior to the rpg's in both storyline , graphics and just general gameplay feeling. the only reason its online is so that they can suck the life out of your funs each month lol . I have tried to get into it by watching trailers diaries and all that ... but i just cant lol it looks terrible lol sorry to say to the creators but damn lol ---so bottom line, take it offline and you've got NOTHING .

You have wrote so many things wrong that I don't know from where to start... :ugh:

[@ Alexrd= You have wrote so many things wrong that I don't know from where to start...]

Wrong according to who ? you ? all it is , is a difference of opinion. You may be someone who enjoys playing MMO 's whereas im not.... Stateing the oviouse isnt being wrong.

you can clearly see there is SOME truth in what im saying from all of the outraged and dissappointed kotor fans. So correct me where im wrong please...

Wrong according to who ? you ? all it is , is a difference of opinion.

And you're opinion is based on what?

So correct me where im wrong please...

Sure:

its going to be $***!!!

Why? Have you played it?

a flop, a waste of time and money, and the worste idea they could have ever dremt up.

Well, the marketing guys at EA and LucasArts don't think so. Surely they made some studies. Where are yours?

Take out the online prospective and what would you have??

You can't take out the online from an MMO. Even so, in this case, you would still have a game with a good story.

A horrible excuse for a sequal.

What?

what would be the point in buying and suscribing to something thats clearly inferior to the rpg's in both storyline , graphics and just general gameplay feeling.

We don't even no the full storyline (although what we have is good) and I bet you haven't played the game. So, how can you say that it is clearly inferior?

the only reason its online is so that they can suck the life out of your funs each month lol .

No. The reason it's online is that they have a market for it. Besides you pay for an online game to get the servers payed, more content, and improvement over the years.

I have tried to get into it by watching trailers diaries and all that ... but i just cant lol it looks terrible lol sorry to say to the creators but damn lol ---so bottom line, take it offline and you've got NOTHING .

Don't like it, don't play it. But don't judge the whole game based on "nothing".

And you're opinion is based on what?

Sure:

Why? Have you played it?

Have you ??

Well, the marketing guys at EA and LucasArts don't think so. Surely they made some studies. Where are yours?

Yer (MARKETING) all they see is dollar signs,not what their fans want.

We don't even no the full storyline (although what we have is good) and I bet you haven't played the game. So, how can you say that it is clearly inferior?

1. Its an MMO, lol need i say more ?

2. Since when do you need to BUY the game ,THEN sit and play and possibly pay more for the monthly fee, and THEN make an opinion on whether or not you like it , if it looks bad why bother ?

No. The reason it's online is that they have a market for it. Besides you pay for an online game to get the servers payed, more content, and improvement over the years.

Yer lets go and pay MORE after buying the game , so that we can wait untill they make the game a bit better lol . Doesnt seem smart to me.

Don't like it, don't play it. But don't judge the whole game based on "nothing".

Dont worry i wont be playing it or even considering it lol. And i am judging it based on what ive seen, heard and given my opinion. Dont like it , deal with it.

But we should probly just agree to dissagree on this one because these guys wont hear the end of it lol :thmbup1:

Have you ??

What? You are the one with the burden of proof, sir.

Yer (MARKETING) all they see is dollar signs,not what their fans want.

Guess what: The dollar signs come from the fans.

1. Its an MMO, lol need i say more ?

Yes.

2. Since when do you need to BUY the game ,THEN sit and play and possibly pay more for the monthly fee, and THEN make an opinion on whether or not you like it , if it looks bad why bother ?

The trials exist for some reason. Second, the fact that you say the game looks bad is just your opinion, therefore you can't ask why anyone would subscribe to the game. If people like it, they will pay for it.

Yer lets go and pay MORE after buying the game , so that we can wait untill they make the game a bit better lol . Doesnt seem smart to me.

Care to explain? Did you ignored what I wrote and only picked what you want just to nitpick?

Dont worry i wont be playing it or even considering it lol. And i am judging it based on what ive seen, heard and given my opinion. Dont like it , deal with it.

The game exists and people are liking it. Deal with it.

Anyway, what seems to be your main concern are the graphics, and that will not be the final product. So yes, it is based on "nothing".

But we should probly just agree to dissagree on this one because these guys wont hear the end of it lol

Probably, yes.

• 4 weeks later...

The idea of having it as an MMO has its pros and cons.

Pros:

-Two heads are better than one. You can team up with other people to solve puzzles and complete quests, so you have help in case you get stuck and can't figure out what to do or where to go next.

-Interaction with real people, rather than just NPCs. I find it is more enjoyable talking to people about, say, how the Mets are doing rather than the static, pre-programed dialog of an NPC.

-Clans, guilds, factions, and, hopefully, wars between them. This is an incredibly fun part of MMO gaming that they would be foolish not to include.

-Better items. As you go along, you may miss an item that you want or, as is the case with KotOR, the item was just not there. You can look for someone that did get the item you wanted and you can buy/trade the other person for it.

-Honestly, we haven't had a real good online Star Wars game since Jedi Knight.

Cons:

-Monthly fee. I haven't read any confirmation on it, but it's pretty much a given that there will be one. And no one likes monthly fees nor can everyone afford it.

-If there is no monthly fee, then there is guaranteed to be a "Cash Shop" which in turn comes down to people with money dominating the game. Just that little fact has ruined so many MMOs for me and others as well.

-It is pretty much required to have above recommended system specs to deal with both the game and the Internet connection. So if you don't have the money for a high end computer, you're usually Sith outta luck.

-Interaction with real people. For every kind and fair person, there will be two that are greedy "elites" who will do everything they can to have all the best gear and all the money on the server, even if it means cheating others out of what they have earned and deserved.

-Drop stealers and KSers. If you've played an MMO before then you know what they are and you know that they technically aren't doing anything wrong and so they will continue doing it.

-Too many people. I've played at least a dozen MMOs before and whenever there are a lot of people in one place, there is more lag than there is junk on Ord Mantell. Granted, a large group of people usually equals a better chance of finding people with the skill sets you need, the unplayability makes it not worth it.

-Servers need maintenance. This means that there is time that you just can't play. And if something happens and the server is taken down, the game becomes worthless.

-Bots. The bane of most MMOs. There will be people who set up bots to play their characters for them. There will be people who set up automated characters that advertise free items if you give them your account information. There will be many that are caught and banned, but there will be just as many that will elude capture.

Now, there seem to be more cons than pros here, but that does not mean I am opposed to having an MMO. If I can run the game without the trouble that KotOR2 is presenting me at the moment, and there is no monthly fee, I will most likely pick it up and see you all in-game.

Archived