Home

Marriage Laws (Besides same-sex marriage)

Arcesious

Marriage is something that the government should have kept its hands off of to begin with. Marriage should have been left completely to the churches, synagogues, mosques, temples, etc. (or, for the non-religious who still hold it as important, civil ceremonies) and should never have been made a legal status. If politicians had kept their noses out of where they didn't belong, we would not be having quite as many problems with this issue today. The same goes for education.

Which is all fine and dandy, except for the role of government is expressly contradictory to what you want. The whole point of a government is to ensure the longevity of it's people. Incestuous relationships and no education do not promote that goal. As well, "leave it up to the states" is a poor argument because if one state, say, California, decides to publicly educate it's children, and another, say, Kansas, does not, we're going to start seeing HUGE discrepancies in the general well-being of their people. The Federal government was created expressly because the "strong states" concept of the Confederated States of America didn't work. It provides a foundation to make all people within it's borders fairly equitable, and then allows the states to build on that.

Is there an argument for smaller government(States AND Federal), yes I think there is, but I don't think you've got the whole point of why we don't leave major decisions like that up to the individual states.

In addition, marriage laws were added for legal clarification, such as who can see whom in a hospital, who gets the benefits of this or that when someone dies, and how two people under such a contract should be treated. It would be unbelievably silly to make people get remarried in every state, and would only serve to promote isolation among stable and happy families. I mean, consider that you lose you job in State A, and have to move. You have a really good job offer in State B, but State B wants you to get "remarried" and different rules will now apply to you, your spouse, and your children, possibly detrimental rules. This is why the Fed steps in and says: "hey guys, here's the basics for all marriages everywhere." And from there on, States can add rules or nullify YOUR SPECIFIC marriage, but you never have to start from zero.(with the current exception of homosexual marriage.)

As for me, I can't say I am against same-sex marriage, but I definitely don't support it, either. I have my values, but I can't force them on others. People are free to be who they want to be. As such, I think this is a matter that should remain as is currently is: leave it up to the states. The federal government should not rule either way.

Once again, the Fed is supposed to be the institution that lays the ground rules that states build upon. While I agree they often go too far, this is what they generally do, and considering our position in the world, I'd say it's working out pretty well.

You think America has problems with big government? :rofl: :rofl:

Oh, you naive, naive people. You don't even have departments for children, for women and equality, culture, sport, the Olympics, or Business, Innovation and Skills yet.

Pro-tip: If you're insulting them, they're Saxe-Coburg-Gotha-Mountbattens.

Give the progressives in this country enough time and.......;)

Ehh.......they're all a bunch of inbred mongrels spiced w/the odd hemophiliac , but point taken. :D

What an exciting discussion about the various forms of marriage.

Anyway, I can't see any harm coming from consenting adults marrying as many people as they want. It's not like they couldn't get divorced anyway. If half of all marriages end in divorce then it's really more like wading through the results. At least one or two of the brides/husbands will work out as a lasting relationship and the others will just move on to another round of eliminations.

We could probably co-create a reality program with the Brits on this, since we like to share horrible tv-show ideas.

You think America has problems with big government? :rofl: :rofl:

Oh, you naive, naive people. You don't even have departments for children, for women and equality, culture, sport, the Olympics, or Business, Innovation and Skills yet.

Yes we do, we just call them normal names instead of enhancing obfuscation by calling them some fancy-schmancy politically correct Brit name. :xp:

Archived