Home

News

Did anyone notice that the site doesn't say anything about Beta at all? They're specifically referring to it as "Game Testing", so this may not be a Beta. Or maybe it's just a Beta with a different name. I wonder what the significance is.

No matter what they call it its still considered the same thing imo.

Did anyone notice that the site doesn't say anything about Beta at all? They're specifically referring to it as "Game Testing", so this may not be a Beta. Or maybe it's just a Beta with a different name. I wonder what the significance is.

Unless they revolutionised the concept of a product development cycle from the ground up it's just a beta. ;)

Just re-do it a few times, and eventually you'll get a pop up asking to access your PC to test the spec, then you'll click continue, which will take you back to "Your Account"... There you'll see a box at the bottom saying you have signed up for tester and your Specs have been added to their database.

Hmm... When I've signed up I get this error message

* warning: array_shift() [function.array-shift]: The argument should be an array in /opt/vhost/swtor.com/sites/all/modules/custom/cohort/cohort.signup.inc on line 490.

* warning: call_user_func_array() [function.call-user-func-array]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback, '' was given in /opt/vhost/swtor.com/includes/form.inc on line 366.

Any help?

That's a problem on Bioware's side, the only things you can do are tell them and try again.

Maybe this is just a more open Alpha?

There is no such thing as an open alpha, an alpha test is internal (but sometimes extended to friends and family) and the beta is external. Unless Bioware staff plan to start marrying a lot of people it's a beta. ;)

There is no such thing as an open alpha, an alpha test is internal (but sometimes extended to friends and family) and the beta is external. Unless Bioware staff plan to start marrying a lot of people it's a beta. ;)

Maybe BioWare is seeking to redefine MMOs from the very beginning, starting with the definition of Alpha. :) Like I said, they still haven't said the B-word, and surely there's a reason for it. Or maybe it's like how Google keeps all their products perpetually in beta, just to make sure people know it's constantly in change. Or maybe this testing is pre-beta, but post-alpha. Beta seems to imply the game is mostly finished, with only user testing left to work out the kinks. Surely TOR isn't that far along?

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just musing on why BioWare isn't calling it a Beta. Either way, I'm excited for the testing.

Or maybe this testing is pre-beta, but post-alpha. Beta seems to imply the game is mostly finished, with only user testing left to work out the kinks. Surely TOR isn't that far along?

The testing is either all internal or it isn't, there's no in between. Also, it's been known that Bioware has been working on an MMO for over 2 and a half years now. ;)

A lot of those 2 1/2 years may've been just to set down the ground structure and coding for the rest of the game. We've only heard of 5 planets, with no idea of how many total we'll have, so many things like that are definitely still far from finished. We've also only seen the first ten levels in varying bits. We know some stuff, but there's still a lot we don't.

Anyone else finding that the application seems to be looping between terms and personal information?

I had the same problem last night. I had to re-submit info several times, including the scan, but it finally completed the process. Make sure you have Java enabled, and turn off any ActiveX or script blockers.

@Miltiades--I don't know if it will matter if you're submitting from a PC or laptop. Bioware tests the computer that you happen to be applying on at that time. For testing purposes, PCs are more stable, but I don't know if that's a deal breaker or not. So many people have gaming PCs now that they may want to test on laptops as well. It's impossible to predict since Bioware is holding their cards close to their vests on this.

To be honest, low specs, Laptops and obscure locations will get a better look in on Testing... As they are using this to determine playability over the diverse range of said variables.

If you live 3 doors away from the Server and have a $3000 PC your not gonna have much trouble playing the game are you hehe.

I say scan the computer you'll be using, since it'll be more likely the one that will be playing TOR. They need to test for the actual machines that will be running the game. If you want to try though, go install XP on a computer from 10 years ago, see if it'll get into the Beta. :p

I bet they'll keep the Beta Signups open a while, since we don't have a solid date on when they'll do the Beta testing. They wouldn't be vague about the testing starting dates if it was next week, right?

Archived