Home

2016 Olympics

Totenkopf

Rio spoke to IOC members’ consciences: the city argued that it was simply unfair that South America has never hosted the games, while Europe, Asia and North America have done so repeatedly.[/Quote] Could not agree more with Rio. About time the games were held in South America. Congratulations to the citizens of Brazil and best of luck.

I remember when Houston was trying to get the Olympics, I was never so happy when Houston was eliminated. I cannot imagine the nightmare traffic the Olympics would cause.

There are certainly arguments on both sides of the coin...it would generate jobs even now as there venues to be built etc...but it would definitely pose a logistical challenge...but I'm not sure that Chicago would have been the best place in the States.

Congrats to Rio I"m sure it will be spectacular.

Could not agree more with Rio. About time the games were held in South America. Congratulations to the citizens of Brazil and best of luck.

A good choice (even in the "better you than me" vein :D ). That should leave Africa as the only continent left (or does it? not really sure).

I wanted it back in the states. Kind of was indifferent to the idea of holding it in chicago, though--I mean, what's there, exactly? Factories, some nice cityscape...but cold and windy. (No offense Chicago Illinois. :D)

Could not agree more with Rio. About time the games were held in South America. Congratulations to the citizens of Brazil and best of luck.

I remember when Houston was trying to get the Olympics, I was never so happy when Houston was eliminated. I cannot imagine the nightmare traffic the Olympics would cause.

My uncle said a neighborhood there was kind of scary in a ghetto sort of way. Is this true?

That should leave Africa as the only continent left (or does it? not really sure).
You’ve offended some Penguins with that comment. :xp:

Congratulations to Rio! Is this not the first Olympics to take place in South America?

Only the third time the game will be held in the southern hemisphere. Sydney 2000 and Melbourne 1956 being the other two times.

My uncle said a neighborhood there was kind of scary in a ghetto sort of way. Is this true?
I'm sure, but no worse that other large urban areas I have visited. The only thing I’ve ever seen in Houston that scared me was the traffic.

I don’t really consider it a persuasion problem. The United States have hosted their share of Olympic Games: St. Louis 1904, Los Angeles 1932, Los Angeles 1984, Atlanta 1996, Lake Placid 1932, Squaw Valley 1960, Lake Placid 1980 and Salt Lake City 2002. I believe Rio’s argument that South America has never hosted the games was persuasive (and more importantly fair). Plus they sent their head of state, we sent our head of state. They sent Pele, we sent Oprah Winfrey.:snear:

Even I would rather meet Pele over Oprah Winfrey. If anything I'm going to blame Michael Jordan for not going. At least he could have offset Pele somewhat. ;)

Ah, Olympics at home, what a fine day it is. Nevertheless, I hope the citizens aren't the ones as to which the government will turn to for the loads of money needed to properly organize the games. After what Beijing did - and whatever London will do - we'll have a tough joib keeping up.

Even I would rather meet Pele over Oprah Winfrey. If anything I'm going to blame Michael Jordan for not going. At least he could have offset Pele somewhat. ;)

I'm sure you meant Michael Jackson. :xp:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

I wanted it back in the states. Kind of was indifferent to the idea of holding it in chicago, though--I mean, what's there, exactly? Factories, some nice cityscape...but cold and windy. (No offense Chicago Illinois. :D)

It's not cold and windy in the summer--it's gorgeous. Average temp is in the low 80's or thereabouts. Chicago sits right on Lake Michigan, which is beautiful in the summer time and offers plenty of boating/sailing, fishing, swimming, and beachbathing. We have museums galore, 2 major league baseball teams and 1 minor league team with their stadiums, a major league football team with Soldier Field for its stadium, two zoos, lots of tourist destinations, plenty of music venues and convention centers, Great America only 20 miles away (major theme park), great cityscape, international population and thus ethnic restaurants and shopping of every kind, world class universities and medical facilities, more shopping than you can shake a stick at, parks, microbreweries, and plenty more than I can list here.

I don’t really consider it a persuasion problem. The United States have hosted their share of Olympic Games: St. Louis 1904, Los Angeles 1932, Los Angeles 1984, Atlanta 1996, Lake Placid 1932, Squaw Valley 1960, Lake Placid 1980 and Salt Lake City 2002. I believe Rio’s argument that South America has never hosted the games was persuasive (and more importantly fair). Plus they sent their head of state, we sent our head of state. They sent Pele, we sent Oprah Winfrey.:snear:

I think that's a pretty fair assessment. Just rubbing salt in the wounds of the "true believers". ;) I think it's funny that a lot of people thought his going in person was going to make a real difference. Besides, not like it's going to be the last Olympics (unless Iran is looking to hasten the "return of the Mahdi" in the next 2-3 years). :xp:

Seems like a poisoned gift to me.

I cannot imagine the nightmare traffic the Olympics would cause.
...and I cannot imagine the huge debt ( edit: monetary and social) that will more than likely follow...

Ah, Olympics at home, what a fine day it is.
If it were only me, you can keep the games all you want: it's definitely not something I want my taxes to be spent on. I couldn't care less about the Olympics: I don't see what's healthy in training like crazy (like jumping in a pool 5-6 hours per day...to me that's pure obsession) for a few moments of self glory that don't bring anything to society (except perhaps a huge collective debt) other than bragging rights for the athlete and his/her sponsors. It makes a for nice 2-week party for the benefit of a very-few but before and afterward....ouch for the rest of us! (especially when you look at all the other needs around). Yay for the bread and games society!

Sorry for breaking the party :p

First off, congratulations to Brazil. It's about time that the Olympics were held in South America. I'm sure that Rio will do an excellent job of rolling out the red carpet. :)

Otherwise, I agree with D3. The Olympics have been commercialized to the point that they just don't hold the importance and prestige that they once did. It's become much ado (and money spent) about nothing.

...and I cannot imagine the huge debt that will more than likely follow...

If it were only me, you can keep the games all you want: it's definitely not something I want my taxes to be spent on. I couldn't care less about the Olympics: I don't see what's healthy in training like crazy (like jumping in a pool 5-6 hours per day...to me that's pure obsession) for a few moments of self glory that don't bring anything to society (except perhaps a huge collective debt) other than bragging rights for the athlete and his/her sponsors. It makes a for nice 2-week party for the benefit of a very-few but before and afterward....ouch for the rest of us! (especially when you look at all the other needs around). Yay for the bread and games society!

Sorry for breaking the party :p

Yeah, can you imagine how much it would suck economically if the Olympics were happening in a recession?

Yeah, can you imagine how much it would suck economically if the Olympics were happening in a recession?

I don't need to imagine: ****Vancouver****.

We finished paying the Montreal debt only a few yrs ago. I've also been into high lvl sports (athletics and horse related sports) and I would never want my children (if I ever have some) to be exposed to what I have been exposed: it was everything but healthy. Besides, if you can't uber mass produce goods, forget about even trying to sell anything at the Olympics...

Archived