Home

Tales of monkey island opinions so far

purple_tentacle_

Hello fellow posters I have finaly got around to buying Tales of Monkey Island Ch. 1 for wii even though I have played it on the pc already. I havnt had time to beat it with school but so far am happy. What are your opinions on ch. 1 and 2.

Oh and if you could can you guys tell me if it is worth buying ch.2? I havnt baught it yet but I dont want to waste anymore money if its not going to be good.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both episodes have been "okay". They haven't wowed me by doing anything highly creative with puzzles, gameplay, etc., but they aren't bad either, so it's been more of a mixed bag so far for me. There were some parts in the first two episodes that I found to be outright tedious (The treasure hunt) while others to be fairly enjoyable. (De Singe's chair puzzle)

I haven't gotten around to Ep. 3 yet, so I'll hold off any series-wide reviewing endeavor for later.

Actaully, I think episode 3 is best so far.

I think Guybrush himself was mostly spot on throughout the first three episodes.

First one was a decent intro, but not really that special. The puzzle where you were strapped to the chair was rather godo though.

The second one had better dialog than the first, but it was a bit like "wtf mermaids?" a bit too "out there" for Monkey Island in the views of some, but I guess you can ignore that and enjoy the game. Morgan Leflay seemed too much of a wink towards the old games instead of an interesting character. But this is improved in the third episode.

Also, it's about ****ing time Monkey Island has manatees.

I love manatees.

The second and third episodes are much better than the first one, for sure. The third was definitely better, IMO. Murray, ftw!

Best quote by far:

:)

Ya well I am going to get the seconed before the third just to keap up on the story. Some quotes made me laough in the first but it wasnt that enjoyable especialy for the wii. But I am buying anyways.

So far so good. The ending of TOMI Chapter 3 was suprising but total bollocks.

*SPOLIERS SO DON'T READ!!!!!*

Why the hell does Morgan LeFlay knock out Guybrush at the end? What the hell! Is she trying to help him or capture him? Is she going to turn out to be like Mac from Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull? One minute she helps you the next she betrays you? How much you want to bet that in Chapter 4 she comes in saves you. One thing that was really awkward was when they are talking about the manatee guarding La Sponga Grande. Is she falling for Guybrush somehow? 0_0 its just going to get weird.....

Why the hell those Morgan LeFlay knock out Guybrush at the end? What the hell! Is she trying to help him or capture him? Is she going to turn out to be like Mac from Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull? One minute she helps you the next she betrays you? How much you want to bet that in Chapter 4 she comes in saves you. One thing that was really awkward was when they are talking about the manatee guarding La Sponga Grande. Is she falling for Guybrush somehow? 0_0 its just going to get weird.....

I'd say the way most of the episode's characters were getting knocked out at some point or another was rather silly and cartoony. I could accept the barrel falling accidentally on Morgana and the out-of-nowhere trap of De Cava, but it goes on and on like this.

There was not one spoiler in that entire post! Murray has been revealed to be in the game for a long time. What are you talking about? :confused:

You are right now that I think about it, I remember now the news item about the casting of the guy that plays him. But that was ages ago so I had forgotten all about it, and I didn't need the reminding and certainly not to be told the exact episode.

Ah, I guess I can't be too pissed, but be careful with this kind of stuff.

Why the hell does Morgan LeFlay knock out Guybrush at the end? What the hell! Is she trying to help him or capture him? Is she going to turn out to be like Mac from Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull? One minute she helps you the next she betrays you? How much you want to bet that in Chapter 4 she comes in saves you. One thing that was really awkward was when they are talking about the manatee guarding La Sponga Grande. Is she falling for Guybrush somehow? 0_0 its just going to get weird.....

Well I havnt played that one yet but shure does sound fun. I was thinking while reading your post that maby she is falling for Guybrush or somthing. Like maby she knocked him out to save him some how. Like a double agent thing. I would beable to tell though I havnt played it yet.

Off that subject did anyone buy it on wiiware? Well if you have a wii and havnt bought it DONT!!! Its crapy. It has real bad visual chopiness and lag. And the sound quality is terrible. I like the pcs better and the graphics are better. NOTE TO SELF: NEVER BUY TALES FOR WIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thmbup1:

You are right now that I think about it, I remember now the news item about the casting of the guy that plays him. But that was ages ago so I had forgotten all about it, and I didn't need the reminding and certainly not to be told the exact episode.

Ah, I guess I can't be too pissed, but be careful with this kind of stuff.

If you guys have a spoiler put them in hidden spoiler tags or just say spoilers at the start. Thats what I do.

Well that's easy, you have to examine the situation. Morgan wants to take Guybrush over to the Marquis no matter what because that's her job. Inside the Manatee, they're both stuck so she goes along with Guybrush to solve whatever's happening. After the manatee, De Cava doesn't allow the ship to leave until he has the Sponge, so there's nothing she can do (especially since only Guybrush can discover the sponge). With De Cava underwater, she's back to business.

So far, I think my opinion coincides with the review of Episode 3 by The Escapist:

Telltale's writers seem to be laboring under the impression that as long as they're wacky, they don't have to write anything particularly funny. While it's true that the Monkey Island games have always had a foundation of anachronistic craziness, it was always alongside quality writing, never in place of it. There are definitely occasional chuckles to be had in Lair of the Leviathan, but all in all, it's pretty forgettable stuff.

Equally forgettable are the episode's cast, a collection of stereotypes that little effort has been made to flesh out. The fratboy that takes every opportunity to get wasted and calls everyone "bra" and the awkward nerd with the hots for the girl way out of his league aren't compelling characters, they're comedic shorthand. Even Morgan, the best realized character in the whole episode, is just Scrappy Doo with a nice rack. It wouldn't be so bad if these were minor characters, but when they're the main cast of an entire episode, you start to worry for the future of the series.

Tales has been entertaining for me, but it doesn't match up to the originals because it's nothing like them in quality, or even theme. Monkey Island, for all its wackiness, still felt like it was firmly set in our own world. Tales feels too "far-out". The largely above-mediocre writing doesn't help. I'm growing really disappointed with the series now that it has crossed the half-line. If this is how it's going to be, I'd rather Telltale focus on original IPs than milk Monkey Island.

Telltale's writers seem to be laboring under the impression that as long as they're wacky, they don't have to write anything particularly funny. While it's true that the Monkey Island games have always had a foundation of anachronistic craziness, it was always alongside quality writing, never in place of it. There are definitely occasional chuckles to be had in Lair of the Leviathan, but all in all, it's pretty forgettable stuff.

Ya I think that they almost did the same with sam and max. I definatly loughed in Sam and Max but it wasnt as good as Lucasarts stuff. But I did chuckle some in Tales. I do agree that monkey island has been pretty crazy in the older and makes them a fun enviroment but they need some of the original funny lines and new ones. It just wont be right without the wacky sayings that guybrush has and his wit.

Tales has been entertaining for me, but it doesn't match up to the originals because it's nothing like them in quality, or even theme. Monkey Island, for all its wackiness, still felt like it was firmly set in our own world. Tales feels too "far-out". The largely above-mediocre writing doesn't help. I'm growing really disappointed with the series now that it has crossed the half-line. If this is how it's going to be, I'd rather Telltale focus on original IPs than milk Monkey Island.

I don't believe it was ever Telltale's intention to make TOMI a serious sequel to the monkey island series. That's why they didn't call it monkey island 5. In my opinion they made it clear from the very start, when this game was in production, that it was not intended to be a big grand "monkey island 5 game", because they didn't have a budget or time to do that.

My opinion on TOMI so far has been that it is a pure monkey island game, minus the adventure/story. Which I think was more or less what telltale was aiming on doing. It's entertaining! Which is more than you can say about EMI. I too am a bit sceptic to dialouge and telltales constant "wackyness with no point". But I'm not dissapointed!

I'm happy : ]

I don't believe it was ever Telltale's intention to make TOMI a serious sequel to the monkey island series. That's why they didn't call it monkey island 5. In my opinion they made it clear from the very start, when this game was in production, that it was not intended to be a big grand "monkey island 5 game", because they didn't have a budget or time to do that.

Ya i think thats what happened. If there was going to be a Monkey Island 5 (Which there wont. i would go into detail on why i believe this but I will wait.) Lucasarts would have made one already.

• 2 weeks later...
By the way, in case anyone is interested, Highland Productions has released its first TMI remix.

Tales of Monkey Island - The Cursed Cutlass of Kaflu (Opening 2) Remix.mp3

Sounds to me like a mix of TOMI, COMI, and DOTT (Day of the Tentacle)

It almost has a Day of the Tentacle sound at the start thats why I said DOTT. But reminds me of COMI. I love that game!

Sounds to me like a mix of TOMI, COMI, and DOTT (Day of the Tentacle)

It almost has a Day of the Tentacle sound at the start thats why I said DOTT. But reminds me of COMI. I love that game!

It was a very conscious attempt to get the steel drum sound from COMI - the organ probably has a DOTT vibe - although I think especially the bit for the organ "solo" that telarium insisted should be reperformed, since it's in the original ;-) OK, now I like it too... - the organ playing chords through the rest was - at least intended to be - a more ska sound. Glad people like it. I personally was never quite happy with it, but at least more so than Opening 1 which has yet to be released.

Archived