Home

Stargate Universe

Arcesious

I saw the pilot episode last night. Personally, I don't like increased drama, but the plot seems great. It's hard to like the new characters though. The military characters seem way too generic. It seems like a hybrid of Startrek Voyager and Battlestar Galactica. But a show shouldn't be judged merely on its pilot episode... So what do you think at this point in time?

If you want to see the real Stargate, look for the film from 1994.

Its what started all the whole series thing.

It isn't a really great movie, good enough, to mindlessly watch when you're bored or something . Though, I enjoyed it cause of the nice design that went into the badguys.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Dr. Rush and Eli seem like they could be interesting characters, and I have to wonder who'll be the next Teal'c/Ronon.

As for the movies... Well I made this thread, so obviously I'm a Stargate fan and I've seen every movie. Maybe not every single episode, but most of them.

Show spoiler
Dr. Rush and Eli seem like they could be interesting characters, and I have to wonder who'll be the next Teal'c/Ronon.

As for the movies... Well I made this thread, so obviously I'm a Stargate fan and I've seen every movie. Maybe not every single episode, but most of them.

Pfft, not even watched all episodes? I've watched them all 3 times over :D

[/brag]

Anyways, I didn't like the increased drama either. It was like a copy of BSG. Sure, I like BSG. I even like it more than Stargate. But Stargate is supposed to be.. stargate. A bit less drama and a bit more adventure/comedy/awesomeness. It doesn't feel like Stargate anymore :(

I liked the original movie with James Spader, the way it touched on the popular "chariots of the Gods" theme that was doing the traps around that time, which was one of those crazy conspiracy theories about the Egyptians being aliens who introduced civilisation to us dumb humans.

I watched a few episodes of SG-1 because I liked the original movie so much, but was disappointed it departed its underlying themes so much to become a sci-fi sitcom drama thing, not as enthralling as the original Battlestar Galactica series but trying to capture some of that market.

But even the original Battlestar Galactica, which had the same overtones as the original Stargate (the chariots of the gods thing) kinda got away from itself in the series, which loses that core fascination which is distinctly intellectual and abandons it for primordeal entertainment and fashion.

I like sci-fi in general and would probably sit and watch happily enough, but I don't think it's going to really impress me as something awe inspiring, the way brilliant sci-fi can do.

Overall, I thought it was pretty good. Not great, but it's only a pilot episode, so it's bound to get off to a shaky start.

The next part is on tomorrow in the UK, and i'm looking forward to it, if only to see whether the series does improve.

• 1 month later...

I don't mean to necro, but I have something to add now that I've seen all the first episodes. Essentially, criticism. (lots of criticism)

[rant]

It's just too much drama, and the sex scenes are really uncalled for. Stargate never really excelled in drama before, and it was kind of predictable where this one isn't. But the first two Stargate series' has humor, action, adventure, great characters, and fun sci-fi style science.

I can't relate to any of the characters except Eli. Eli and Greer are good characters... The others are just completely insane nutjobs. Rush is just a jerk, and Young, Chloe, Tamara, and Scott are just boring.

Perhaps extremely flawed characters are more realistic, but I miss the old 4-member super-skilled teams. They should bring back the typical 'wise/sarcastic leader, 2 geniuses, and chuck norris' team setup that made Stargate so great.

I watched the previous shows because they were like an 'escape', another world. Universe way too gritty, gloomy, and dramatic. If I wanted a soap opera, I wouldn't be watching Sci-fi. (One of the reasons that I couldn't stand any more BSG after seeing 5 episodes of it.)

As for the plot - its a complete copy of ST Voyager. Been there, done that. They could have used the communications stones to bring in Mckay and Carter to crack the master code already. It also seems that they've conveniently forgotten that the stones can swap more than just two people at a time.

And the ship's engines... Does anyone remember the episode where the replicators upgraded a ha'tak mothership to travel hundreds of times faster than normal?

It seems like it shouldn't be too hard for Mckay and Carter to figure out how to upgrade Destiny's engines to uber-ftl speed. They could even try and build a makeshift hyperdrive. (A stock ha'tak hyperdrive can go 32k times the speed of light, after all.)

If not that, then they could get Daedalus, Odyssey, Apollo, or General Hammond and upgrade the engines. After all, 304s can already cross entire galaxies in mere weeks. Maybe a little creative upgrade and then voila! - they can go rescue Destiny in a trip of a few months or so.

IMHO, the previous stargate series' had their shortcomings, but this is just a disaster. And they canceled Atlantis for this? [/rant]

So what do you think? Am I being shortsighted and unappreciative of the complexities of drama - or do you agree that this show is terrible?

I actually like it. Seems I'm the only one here that does.

Yea, I agree it's a bit too dramatic at times, but the drama fits the situation that the crew is in. I would like to see a bit more action and random fun, though, but I'm hoping as the show evolves that will come about. Still, there are some moments like Eli saying "Looks like we arrived in the Hoth system," and getting the blank stares that were pretty funny.

Overall, I think the show has some evolving to do, but at the moment it's still enjoyable. At least to me anyway.

Too much drama I think. The whole point of being "lost in space" is supposed to be that you CANT contact home and get instructions. This constant "dear john" letters are getting annoying. And the flashbacks are almost as bad as LOST. I think it's a cool concept, it's got some good characters, but it's a fairly typical military-civilian interaction plotline, and the good characters and good concept does not make up for failing to bring it out of a teen-angst-filled drama-hole.

You know, I really should check into this. I liked the original movie and I loved SG-1. Richard Dean Anderson really did it as the colonel...though maybe that is my childhood fondness of MacGyver.

*Suddenly comes to realization how imprinted the MacGyver fictional character really is on my behavior and has been for years.* :eek:

Daniel, hey gotta love that he was the original actor from the movie. I suppose my intellectual friends remind me of him, or is it the other way around?

Samantha, well, oddly enough I can draw a sort of parallel between her and Alia from the MegaMan X series. *shrugs* Works for me. That and fierce when she needs to be.

Teilc (Did I spell that right?) actually represents to me tha type of Warrior who makes a difference--not of the might of his strength, rather the strength of his heart shown both in his resolve and his care for his friends. Intelligent culture as well.

I'll probably watch a few more episodes to see if I get hooked by it. (Also because I want to follow the Stargate storyline.)

But on the positive side here, I have to say that the storyline for the ship itself seems interesting. If they run into some crazy evil alien race soon that tries to kill them all, I might keep watching it. Otherwise, I'll just be reading storyline summaries of the episodes off of the internet.

As for the communication stones, I have a hopeful prediction.

Show spoiler
The stones seem to be having issues. Destiny's FTL drive might end up breaking them, I think, because it seems like they're getting very glitchy.

So what do you think? Am I being shortsighted and unappreciative of the complexities of drama - or do you agree that this show is terrible?

I didn't see any of the episodes from this new series (maybe it'll be aired in my country next year...) but I would give it some safety margin and hope it'll be better over time. I mean, came on, 'SG: Atlantis' was not very good at the beginning (for me at least), yet it proved worthy ;) somewhere during second season I think.

Daniel, hey gotta love that he was the original actor from the movie. I suppose my intellectual friends remind me of him, or is it the other way around?

No, he wasn't. In the original movie, Daniel Jackson was played by James Spader. In SG-1 he was played by Michael Shanks. Shanks was also Ma'chello and did the voice of the Thor.

Teilc (Did I spell that right?)

Teal'c

But on the positive side here, I have to say that the storyline for the ship itself seems interesting. If they run into some crazy evil alien race soon that tries to kill them all, I might keep watching it. Otherwise, I'll just be reading storyline summaries of the episodes off of the internet.

Then why start a new series, anyway? Atlantis had the Wraiths and SG1 had both the Goa'uld and the Ori. We don't need another Vong-like species to spoil it. I'd rather have some familiar foes, like the Genii: dangerous and menacing, but without super hadicaps and gimmicks.

Archived