Home

Improving the music in Monkey Island 2

ThunderPeel2001

This discussion was started in another thread, but it's not really on topic, so I thought, before taking it off on yet another tangent, I'd open a new thread.

Basically I was very surprised to discover that the music in the PC version of Monkey Island 2 can be VASTLY improved. As an original Amiga owner I always had difficulty understanding the difference between things like "MT-32" and "General Midi" and "Adlib". Which was the best? What should I choose?

Thanks to S-Island I was made aware of the fact that MI2's music was composed expressly to be heard through a Roland MT-32 (an old piece of hardware that you can no longer buy) and, after listening to the recordings on his site, suddenly realised what had been missing from my attempts at a PC play-through: The wonderful music I enjoyed on the Amiga.

My immediate reaction was "where can I buy an MT-32?!", but, as I've already said, they're unfortunately no longer available and only appear on eBay from time to time (and aren't cheap when they do). My next reaction was: "What else can I do, then?".

As it turns out, there are plenty of savvy PC users who already well aware of how important something like an MT-32 can be to a game's soundtrack, and many of them have attempted to fix this problem using modern software. Unfortunately there is no one definitive answer to this problem, so I decided to try and take a look at as many of the different options available, and see which offered the most authentic sounding music for Monkey Island 2.

Here are my results...

To start, here's how the Monkey Island 2 is SUPPOSED to sound. This is a recording of a real MT-32, (the hardware used by Michael Land when he composed the game's score):

Real MT-32: Example

Here are recordings from many of the different options available to a modern MI2 player. (I'd suggest listening to the ENTIRE track to get a proper idea for comparison - they're only 90 seconds):

Roland VSC: Example

MUNT Emu: Example

Windows Midi: Example

ScummVM Emu: Example

Personal tastes aside, I think the Roland VSC sounds far closest to the original MT-32 soundtrack, although I have yet to test the Yamaha S-YXG50 SoftSynth (it isn't Vista compatible, unfortunately).

If there are other options I should add to this list, please let me know. It'd be great if we can come up with a definitive answer for future MI2 players.

I'll explain how to get each of the different types in more detail, but here's a quick breakdown:

Roland VSC = Roland Virtual Sound Canvas. You can learn how to use this option by following this supremely useful thread at ScummVM's forums. (Note: I haven't tried the freeware software synthesizer - sfz - listed in that thread.)

MUNT Emulation = A fan made MT-32 emulation which can be found here.

Windows MIDI = The default Windows Midi synth.

ScummVM Emulation = MT-32 emulation (that requires the original Roland MT-32 ROMs).

I just recorded what I heard directly from my computer. I was really surprised at how terrible it sounded, maybe something was configured incorrectly?

I installed MUNT (although the default .inf didn't work with vista, so I used an alternative one I found on DosBox's forums), then changed my Midi Mapping to "MT-32 Synth" (as per MUNT's instructions) and loaded up ScummVM.

I could test it in DosBox... if I could figure out how to use it with MUNT (even with it Midi-mapped it seems to use its own synth(?)) :-/

Is there a possibility to edit MI2 files to use Track Files (you know, mp3s and similiar) as in e.g. MI1 EnhancedCD Version? With this we could convert real MT-32 MI2 music to track and listen to it ingame... :) I can't hack into SCUMM so i ask

I'm asking about ScummVM and Windows MIDI emulation (MUNT) ;)

ScummVM's MT-32 Emulation works very bad with my computer (horrible lagging, crashes etc.) but it sounded correctly and MUNT midimapping with ScummVM worked fast, but quality was low, as in your first MUNT MP3 egzample... If there's way to configure MUNT to work correctly with SVM, it'll be great for me :)

Gosh, my english is so bad... Hope you understand me :p

Several years ago I tracked down an external MT-32 unit on eBay, largely for MI2 and Ultima VII. In my experience, DOSBox + MT-32 is the ultimate way to experience Monkey Island 2.

Being intimately familiar with the game from playing on an AdLib, and later on a Pro Audio Spectrum 16 (basically a Sound Blaster Pro), I was blown away by how much I was missing out sound-wise. Given the chance, I highly recommend picking up an MT-32 (or CM-32L, CM-64 etc.). They're commonly found on sites like eBay, and one could probably pick one up fairly cheap if good MIDI audio is important to you, or if you're a fan of '90s PC gaming. For me it was unequivocally one of the best retro DOS gaming purchases I've ever made.

That said, there were a few sound effects from MI2 that were seemingly exclusive to the Sound Blaster mode - picking up the 'sign' outside of Woodtick, Largo's spitting sound, crackling fire sounds etc..

I've always wondered if there's any way to experience both Roland music and Sound Blaster FX? Running monkey2.exe r s doesn't seem to work, naturally. :raise:

Archived