Home

Improving the music in Monkey Island 2

ThunderPeel2001

The original game doesn't support digital sound effects and MT-32 at the same time. It was added to ScummVM. FOA was probably the first SCUMM game that supported sound effects playing through one card while playing music through another in its original version.

Is it possible to play a game via SCUMMvm (having the MT-32 connected for musc) AND to have the SFX?
Of couse, it is. :thmbup1:
I'm currently collecting reasons not to buy a MT-32! ^^
Totally wrong place then, I afraid. ;)

You might look for games with Soundcanvas support as well as any Windows games then. There's really not much point in having an MT-32 for those. However, a used SC-55 is usually slightly more expensive then an MT-32.

And of course, a true DOS gamer needs both units.

:band1:rock:

• 3 weeks later...

A real MT-32 is golden. Nothing can replace it, though the recent latest version of MUNT is the closest it's ever been to perfect MT-32 emulation. Luckily I have a real MT-32 anyway. But it's handy for ports like the Wii version to have MT-32 emulation. MT-32 is always better than any General MIDI device (SC-55, Roland VSC, Yamaha softsynth, etc) if the game was written for the MT-32.

I also have a CM-500 (MT-32 and SC-55 in one box). That's quite handy. Though the MT-32 device is a little different than a standalone (vibrato is a little excessive and some sounds are synthesized differently).

A real MT-32 is golden. Nothing can replace it, though the recent latest version of MUNT is the closest it's ever been to perfect MT-32 emulation. Luckily I have a real MT-32 anyway. But it's handy for ports like the Wii version to have MT-32 emulation. MT-32 is always better than any General MIDI device (SC-55, Roland VSC, Yamaha softsynth, etc) if the game was written for the MT-32.

Really? Care to provide a link? As you can hear from the recorded MP3s above, MUNT emulation was amongst the least like a real MT-32.

The reason the MUNT version you have doesn't sound good is because that particular version you're using doesn't synthesize the partials correctly. But besides that it sounds the most like a real MT-32 out of all those tracks you've got there (except ScummVM emu which is the same thing). The newer version in development is much better. Here's a couple recordings from MI1 and QFG1.

http://cid-81940f2fc1006a8a.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Public

These are recordings from back in May. MUNT has come a long way. The reverb still isn't quite the same as a real MT-32, but it's pretty dang close. I don't know if this current version of MUNT is publicly available or not, though.

These are recordings from back in May. MUNT has come a long way. The reverb still isn't quite the same as a real MT-32, but it's pretty dang close. I don't know if this current version of MUNT is publicly available or not, though.

Well if you find out, I'll update the recordings at the top of the page. Thanks.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to dig up this thread, but it appears MUNT is now pretty much spot on. It now sounds almost exactly like a real MT-32 in the Daily Build of ScummVM! WOW!!!

Edit: The links in the first thread do not show the new version of MUNT in ScummVM. I've done a comparison myself, however, with the original MT-32 recording (at the top of this thread) and it's almost perfect. Amazing!

I'd really like to know what settings are best for which games. For example I heard that DOTT is best heard through General Midi, as this was an improvement over MT-32 at the time? Any thoughts?

I've been doing some tests lately and while I haven't been able to try the MT-32, I think DOTT and S&M sound really good with general midi, especially if coupled with quality soundfonts. I'd guess MT-32 would work better for the older games but whether you want the sound the creators intended, the nostalgic adlib or more realistic instruments is a matter of taste.

Any opinions on good soundfonts? I think the GeneralUser GS is pretty good for most games but I also like SGM and RealFont.

Day of the Tentacle has separate MIDI files for MT-32 and General MIDI. It appears that they at least started out composing for the MT-32 as the soundtrack features custom instruments and there's what feels like a conversion for the more eclectic pieces like the logo screen.

Sam & Max Hit the Road on the other hand has only a General MIDI soundtrack. MT-32 support is achieved by programming the MT-32 with an instrument setup that emulates General MIDI.

Archived