Home

Christmas Wish List

leXX

It's amazing the amount of insecurity Twilight brings out. :p

Something marketed towards women? Kill it with fire!

I want a guitar.

This reminds me, I want a guitar too, but I think I'm getting one for my birthday next month.

It's amazing the amount of insecurity Twilight brings out. :p

Something marketed towards women? Kill it with fire!

Watch the movie. Just do it. Not the awesomely hilarious Rifftrax version. Just the regular version. If you make it more than 15 minutes in without wanting to slam your nuts in a car door, I'll be f***in amazed.

Also, don't care who it's marketed too, it's still extremely s***ty and has many many issues.

twilight fan spotted

Oh noes, you caught me. :rolleyes:

Never read or seen or played it.

Edit:

Also, don't care who it's marketed too, it's still extremely s***ty and has many many issues.

That's not the point. For all I know, it is very s***ty. Point is, every time it's brought up every male in the room has to strut around and make sure everyone knows their opinion that it is the worst thing ever, when they probably know nothing about it. At least you've watched it and thus can form a valid opinion. It's the knee-jerk reaction that anything that appeals towards females is automatically s*** that is the issue. I have a sister who expresses her disdain over that mentality, and I agree with her.

oh ig you champion of feminism, never stop fighting the patriarchy by assuming all men (but your sophisticated self of course) are chunks of meat who act solely on what makes them feel insecure in their manhood or whatever

Sound pretty accurate to me, actually. I see nothing wrong with this quote.

I honestly haven't even begun to think about what I want for Christmas...

I wouldn't mind this:

nikon-d3-big.jpg

But that's several thousand dollars outside of my parent's price range, haha.

Realistically, some new, faster lenses wouldn't be that bad. For the photography buffs here who know what I'm talking about, pretty much whenever I do portraiture I'm stuck with using a 50mm/1.4 fixed lens (or the 85mm/1.8)--In other words... Fast lens but you can't zoom, which is just a pain in the butt.

Modern Warfare 2 and Mass Effect 2 would be on this list if I wasn't determined to buy them both before Christmas.

OH!

I was at the Apple store the other day and had the opportunity to try out the Bose Quietcomfort15. I believe that was the model. The most spectacular headphones I've ever used. Listened to some Yo-Yo Ma with those things and it honestly felt like I was sitting right in front of him in an absolutely sound-proof recording studio. Fantastic.

Still a bit pricey, though....

Okay, maybe I did make some assumptions. I know you're not all "chunks of meat." But I have a sister who's fed up with the huge amounts of entertainment geared towards guys with a total lack of the opposite. Yes, she does like Twilight, but she's not a fangirl. I respect her opinion and that's all I'm coming from.

That's not the point. For all I know, it is very s***ty. Point is, every time it's brought up every male in the room has to strut around and make sure everyone knows their opinion that it is the worst thing ever, when they probably know nothing about it. At least you've watched it and thus can form a valid opinion. It's the knee-jerk reaction that anything that appeals towards females is automatically s*** that is the issue. I have a sister who expresses her disdain over that mentality, and I agree with her.

Well, I have seen the movie with my wife, and even bought her the books so she could keep reading. I tried to read them myself, but I just couldn't do it. I am not aginst them because they are intended for the fairer sex, but because they are cheesy and god-awful. And I have some pretty low standards, for example I really like "The Vampire Diaries" show on the CW. Now that show is marketed squarely at teen girls, and is pretty cheesy in and of itself. So I do like certain things that are "girl marketed" and even cheesy and sophmoric. So trust me when I say, "Twilight sucks!" because I am saying it based strictly on the merits and quality of the product, and not out of some deep rooted male bravado seated firmly within my subconcious self making sure I am not emascilated among my peers. I only do that when it comes to "My Little Pony" and "Barbie", and I swear I play with them because of my daughter not because I like to!!! :p

- Noisettes' new CD.

Our similar music tastes continue to amaze me. <3 The Noisettes.

Okay, maybe I did make some assumptions. I know you're not all "chunks of meat." But I have a sister who's fed up with the huge amounts of entertainment geared towards guys with a total lack of the opposite. Yes, she does like Twilight, but she's not a fangirl. I respect her opinion and that's all I'm coming from.

The whole male population insulting Twilight at every given opportunity does seem to be a recurring theme nowadays, so I applaud your honesty. Twilight certainly isn't the 'steaming pile of chick flick crap' that it is made out to be. I, like your sister like the film, but am not a 'fangirl'. Men waving their dicks around whenever a film aimed at the female audience is mentioned will always be a given, and I pretty much expect it now.

But, having said all that, I think the amount of hype this film has generated is ridiculous. I watched a video taken at one of the gameshows (can't remember which one now, think it was E3), where they showed a trailer of New Moon, and every time one of the male characters appeared on screen they were screaming madly. I remember fancying Michael. J. Fox the first time I saw Back to the Future in the cinema when I was a teenager, but I never once screamed just at the sight of him. :/

Modern Warfare 2 and Mass Effect 2 would be on this list if I wasn't determined to buy them both before Christmas.

Mass Effect 2 isn't out until January, so you're gonna have a problem there. ;)

Google "Twilight make me depressed" and look at all the results. The subtle brainwashing of young women to believe they should be like "normal girl" girl Bella and find the perfect gentleman boy eventually causes doubt, trauma, and severe self-confidence issues when they don't. The books are laid out to ensnare weak-minded, create a lovely fantasy, and instill a subconscious hint that you should and can get the same thing. Eventually the reader can only be happy when they pick up the book again and forget themselves in the fantasy. For awhile. Then it just comes back worse.

THAT is my problem with Twilight.

And I want a new job for Christmas. Maybe finally have my webcomic started.

Google "Twilight make me depressed" and look at all the results. The subtle brainwashing of young women to believe they should be like "normal girl" girl Bella and find the perfect gentleman boy eventually causes doubt, trauma, and severe self-confidence issues when they don't. The books are laid out to ensnare weak-minded, create a lovely fantasy, and instill a subconscious hint that you should and can get the same thing. Eventually the reader can only be happy when they pick up the book again and forget themselves in the fantasy. For awhile. Then it just comes back worse.

THAT is my problem with Twilight.

It's somewhat related to this, but to clarify my earlier, point, I take issue with the use of gender stereotypes to form an argument against sexism, such as the idea of men disliking Twilight because it is marketed to women (which reinforces societal gender roles for both sexes), since the root causes of sexism are those same stereotypes.

It's also ****ing terrible from a literary perspective, in addition to its attempt to pressure people into trying to fit into a gender stereotype, as Kojo brought up.

Our similar music tastes continue to amaze me. <3 The Noisettes.

Cool people like cool music. I've gotten about half of my friends into them as well.

Also, this twilight discussion makes me lol. I intend on one day reading the books because all of the snippets of them I have read are hilarious. I recall my friend Chris being over one day and we looked through my godsister's copy of New Moon. Flipping it open to a random page and reading dramatically is some of the most fun possible.

I rode the train into Chicago a few days back to spend the weekend with a friend of mine and when I got there her roommate had just started watching Twlight. Courtney, my friend, suggested that we watch it solely for the purpose of making fun of the movie.

Holy **** it sucked.

First off, it had horrible acting. Everyone in the room had done theater and we all agreed (even the legit Twlight fans that were there) that the only decent actor was the main character's father.

Edward, the main vampire, is a pansy who doesn't stop whining.

The only "cool" vampires who aren't completely mentally retarded are the villains, and even they don't make up for the rest of the film.

The entire movie was filmed with a bland, green tint to all the colors, akin to The Matrix.

Ten minutes of the movie consists of Vampires playing baseball in a thunderstorm.

The ending was completely predictable.

I could go on, but I feel like I need to stop because I don't want to think about this movie any longer. I will say that the film did have a pretty impressive soundtrack and the cinematography was above average. Don't waste your time with this movie, unless you legitimately want to know what it is you've been making fun of.

I'll see your post and raise you this. Hit the preview button to enjoy Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbett of MST3K fame essentially turning it into an episode of MST3K.
I watched the whole movie with this commentary over it, and that turned out to be the only thing stopping me from killing myself. I would say it's actually worth watching with the commentary, it was hilarious, but I wouldn't have been able to stand it by itself.

Archived