Home

[TSL] Earlier Lightsaber integrated in game

jonathan7

I don't know if it bugs anyone else how late in TSL's you recieve your Lightsaber? I'd love a mod which bumps up the time table to building the lightsaber, so you have it by the time you start the first planet after Telos Polar Academy. It is actually quite a fiddly procedure as messing around with globals and I think scripts is involved. My suggestion would be after facing the tank droid Bao Durr's dialogue about why don't you have your lightsaber kicks off, and then the rest of the bits are found on Telos Polar Academy. The hardest part would be then packaging the mod to be compatible with mods such as TSL:CRM and USM. Any takers? :xp:

Jonathan7, I know there is a "get your lightsaber back from atris mod" on KOTORfiles. http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Get_Your_Lightsaber_Back_From_Atris;72493

But doesn't help with the actual quest side. Which I admit would be cooler

Thanks :) But I'm an admin over at KotOR Files as well as being a Moderator here, so I'm aware of a variety of "early lightsaber" mods, however I'd like a mod which is in keeping with the story arc, and given both Kreia's and Bao Durr's comments on lightsabers, it doesn't make sense to have one before they have been dealt with.

I can see why you would want to get the lightsaber earlier, but isn't the Telos Academy still relatively late? I've never gone to Dxun or Korriban first, but if you go to Nar Shaddaa first, you can have your lightsaber in a little more than ten minutes, and maybe twenty for Dantooine. Maybe I'm missing some aspect but the time difference seems too near-insignificant to be messing with scripts and globals.

I can see why you would want to get the lightsaber earlier, but isn't the Telos Academy still relatively late? I've never gone to Dxun or Korriban first, but if you go to Nar Shaddaa first, you can have your lightsaber in a little more than ten minutes, and maybe twenty for Dantooine. Maybe I'm missing some aspect but the time difference seems too near-insignificant to be messing with scripts and globals.

It always seemed rather random to me to be honest, first time I played through I didn't get my lightsaber till I had completed Dantooine, next play through I had a lightsaber 30mins into Dantooine (I pretty much always start there).

I'm aware of a variety of "early lightsaber" mods, however I'd like a mod which is in keeping with the story arc, and given both Kreia's and Bao Durr's comments on lightsabers, it doesn't make sense to have one before they have been dealt with.
To be honest, I never saw any sense in Bao-Dur sticking his nose into it anyway. What's a tech doing telling a Jedi, a veteran of the Mandalorian Wars no less, how to build a saber? Maybe you could just scrap his part of the quest altogether and find one (or the parts) in the Telos Academy.

To be honest, I never saw any sense in Bao-Dur sticking his nose into it anyway. What's a tech doing telling a Jedi, a veteran of the Mandalorian Wars no less, how to build a saber? Maybe you could just scrap his part of the quest altogether and find one (or the parts) in the Telos Academy.

Aye thats certainly a good idea, I never really understood why the Exile would forget how to make a lightsaber. In any event would it be possible to make it compatible with USM?

Aye thats certainly a good idea, I never really understood why the Exile would forget how to make a lightsaber. In any event would it be possible to make it compatible with USM?

I always wanted to just skip through that conversation. So annoying!

But DAWUSS' idea is probably the easiest, and perhaps, the most logical thing to do. You could chuck the parts in the garage where the tank droid bass lives, or a plasteel cylinder at Atris' place.

JuniorModder

I like the idea of finding the saber parts at the Telos Academy.

As Atris collected Holocrons, why not other Jedi items? Saber Parts? Saber Crystals? Robes?

Yea, that's my thinking behind it too. ;)

Finding it there would solve the problem of asking Kreia how to build one when you already have one, and when Bao-Dur asks, you can build it then and there.

JuniorModder

As Atris collected Holocrons, why not other Jedi items? Saber Parts? Saber Crystals? Robes?
She didn't collect holocrons, she was a Jedi historian. The holocrons were from the Jedi archives which she transported for safe keeping to Telos. I doubt she'd be publicly displaying collections of Jedi artefacts like robes and sabers, and breaking into her room to access such things is not really a feasible option.

One way to go might be to expand the conversation you have with T3 when you free him from his confinement. He could say he found the location of a hidden room. It would have to be of some significance to warrant mentioning. Perhaps it could have a magnetically sealed door, a forcefield, or some other anomalous characteristic that flagged its presence. T3 could either slice it open for you when instructed or tell you that he already retrieved the door codes whilst connected to Atris's network. Inside the player could retrieve the saber parts. As to the rest of the room's contents - well that's open to discussion I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe...

I remember finding a site that had modded Xbox saves a while back, haven't tried them yet though.

Btw, will this mod be compatible with other mods that add the saber parts?

If not...

Perhaps adding a script that checks whether or not you already have the parts, or completed the saber quest?

Well, what you'd need to do is analyse how the current "building your lightsaber" quest works, and change all the variables to fire once you're at the Telos station. You'd also need to (probably) take out the whole conversations from Kreia and Bao-Dur about making a lightsaber, so quite a lot of digging around inside the .dlg files would be necessary. But it is most definitely possible.

And don't you get one lightsaber part before you leave Telos for the Polar Academy?

is there some xbox mod for getting lightsaber earlier?

Yes, I have one installed and you get a collection of all types of light sabers in the corpse in the morgue at the very beginning...

don't know what the original file was called for download but the single file you put in the override directory is:

g_tresgencorp004.utp

It was one of the last mods I collected and I never actually played through with the added use of a saber from the start... has visas saber and freedon nads short saber in the collection too...

am thinking about playing through again after jedi knight II but unsure...

seems most people around today are PC players... we do need a special xbox section... heh

Yes, I have one installed and you get a collection of all types of light sabers in the corpse in the morgue at the very beginning...

don't know what the original file was called for download but the single file you put in the override directory is:

g_tresgencorp004.utp

That would break the whole game, as the corpse in the morgue is not unique, which means you would replace the inventory of all those corpses in game with lightsabers - this also means you break the game as some quests won't work...

I have the mod Slayer's talking about. Nothing to game breaking Jonathan. Kreia's corpse is a covered body, and there are a few more scattered over Peragus, and you do end up getting about a dozen sabers cause it repeats the drop. Annoying, but playable. I used it to cheat the Peragus droid saber in to get around a mod conflict.

I have the mod Slayer's talking about. Nothing to game breaking Jonathan. Kreia's corpse is a covered body, and there are a few more scattered over Peragus, and you do end up getting about a dozen sabers cause it repeats the drop. Annoying, but playable. I used it to cheat the Peragus droid saber in to get around a mod conflict.

Your not seriously going to get into an argument with me over this? The general rule of thumb is that any mod would be rejected from K-Files for adding things to inventory of any of the corpses on Peragus; furthermore this would effect more than Peragus; you would get this re-occurring anywhere in game that uses that particular corpse .utp.

Regardless, I grow seriously tired of seeing request threads spammed, or having totally off-topic conversations. I've had to prune this thread... Pray you do not make my prune it again, or I'll get all Vader on you :xp:

If you are not posting about doing the mod, or specifics related to technical aspects of the mods creation, why are people posting in the Modding Requests threads?

Furthermore, I was very clear in my mod request, funnily considering I have an archive of pretty much every mod the community has made, I do happen to know what mods are out there, and none meet my request.

No more thread hi-jacks please, or requests for an early lightsaber - there are enough mods out there that give you a lightsaber at the beginning of Peragus, and not knowing that is frankly laziness and in contravention to the Modding Request Forum rules, as you clearly haven't searched T.U.C.E -- j7

Archived