Home

Lucidity

Udvarnoky

I'm still waiting for my download to complete, but some of you must have started playing Lucidity. I mean come on, ten bucks for an actually interesting looking LEC original?

So what do we think?

It out!!! Holy crap Ive got to get it. That would be aewsome to own an original. Tell me how it is I am so exited. I was a little iffy at first but now I like it from the game play on game trailers.:monkey4:

I'm puzzled (wink wink) by the fact that there is no official trace of Lucidity in LucasArts website.

Does that mean they are not sure yet if they should proudly showcase it all over their homepage? are they embarrased of having developed and released a good looking original IP?

Well, they're clearly approaching this as a low-key release, and considering the audience are putting trust in word of mouth rather than spending any real effort on advertising. I'm guessing that any substantial marketing would probably eclipse the game's actual budget.

Yes, I thought that it being a small unambitious title could be a reason. But it's just a little website we are talking here, the game's main appeal is it's great art style and having a one-stop URL in which they can have the trailer, screenshots, artwork, wallpapers and stuff seems like a pretty elemental move to me (and not one that would increase the budget any more than doing an extra firefly animation).

They've been promoting it heavily on social networks and on their blog, but those (especially the blog) are mostly being read by fans, not casual gamers (which seems to be the main target of this kind of game).

I think my attitude towards it is mixed. What I'm really trying to say is: I couldn't care less about Lucidity - but in a different way to the Star Wars games I couldn't care less about.

Let me put it this way: Remember Pipe Dreams? Some puzzle thing LucasArts made back in the days of Monkey Island, that may be excellent or may be crap, and I don't know because I don't care about it. It was easier to not care about Pipe Dreams because it was when LucasArts were making great games every year, but the fact is, it's removed from 'what I love about LucasArts' in a fundamental way.

So is Lucidity. But at least they had to use their brains to make this one, so it's probably a step in the right direction. But the hell with them if they think I'm going to purchase it just to stop them from saying 'non Star Wars games aren't profitable'.

Can anyone confirm if this has the same issue as SOMI:SE -- namely that you can't play it without a SSE2-equipped processor? I'd like to buy the game, but I'd also like it to work on my machine! :)

And yes ... I see the system reqs are identical to SOMI:SE, which is why I'm suspicious. But many games have higher system reqs than I have, and still play just fine on my machine ... so, fingers crossed!

Let me put it this way: Remember Pipe Dreams? Some puzzle thing LucasArts made back in the days of Monkey Island, that may be excellent or may be crap, and I don't know because I don't care about it. It was easier to not care about Pipe Dreams because it was when LucasArts were making great games every year, but the fact is, it's removed from 'what I love about LucasArts' in a fundamental way.

I didn't know it was possible for someone to have never played Pipe Dream, or one of the million clones of it. I suspect you've played it at some point in your life without knowing.

In response to what your post is actually about: I don't think anyone should feel obligated to play a game they're not interested in, and if Lucidity doesn't look like it would float your boat, I wouldn't treat it any differently than any other game that doesn't excite you. But I think the implication here is that Lucidity is more likely to genuinely interest people than most (any?) other current LEC games. Whether it's actually good remains to be seen - by me, anyway.

I'm puzzled (wink wink) by the fact that there is no official trace of Lucidity in LucasArts website.

Does that mean they are not sure yet if they should proudly showcase it all over their homepage? are they embarrased of having developed and released a good looking original IP?

It seems like they are using their blog as the game's homepage. Seems kind of odd to not even have a link there on their corporate site, but whatever.

As for the game, I'll probably pick it up and review it in the next few days. Looks interesting enough, can hardly go wrong for $10.

It seems like they are using their blog as the game's homepage. Seems kind of odd to not even have a link there on their corporate site, but whatever.

As for the game, I'll probably pick it up and review it in the next few days. Looks interesting enough, can hardly go wrong for $10.

Looks to me like this (and probably Handsome Halibut in the future) are under an umbrella label "LucasArts Workshop" (like LucasLearning used to be) and will remain separate from the main LucasArts site and branding.

Seems daft to me, but then I'm no marketing major.

Does the regular Gold Guy logo appear at the game's start, or is it branded with LucasArts Workshop?

Does the regular Gold Guy logo appear at the game's start, or is it branded with LucasArts Workshop?

There is a LucasArts logo animation (with Sofi in it) on the trailer and I bet it's the one featured in the game.

But yes, it seems like for reasons that escape my comprehension they are (at least for now) keeping this experiments in a low profile fashion. Maybe they are waiting to see how it is received, etc but it seems a bit dull to me, as it shows a somewhat lack of trust in their own product.

I'm enjoying a lot of it, but my biggest criticism (apart from the Steam servers being busy for several hours after I bought it, so it wouldn't let me download the game I paid for) is the inaccuracy of the controls.

By having the levels built up on an invisible "grid" with blocks you can place objects on rather than being free to put objects anywhere, I found plenty of times (usually while in a hurry) I'd move to one location and the object would snap to the next "block" - nowhere near Sofi. Also, you can't scroll the screen up and down yourself, so it's impossible to place items above or (more especially) below the current screen - and if Sofi falls, there's always a brief second where the cursor gets stuck on the previous screen. If Sofi falls, it's impossible to place an item under her.

I've been incredibly frustrated because of this, and not in the way the designers intended. I find it very hard to link items together, because I just find it very hard to place an item where I want it to under pressure (which is often).

I just don't understand why LucasArts went with this "invisible grid" idea rather than just allowing you to place objects wherever the hell you want - like every other puzzle game where you have a character to interact with, like Lemmings, since the dawn of videogaming. Even on a gamepad this would still be a more enjoyable way of doing things.

On the bright side, the sheer charm and wonderful design keeps me playing and will keep me coming back for more.

I really like the look of it, it's a fantastic return to creative form for LucasArts and its the first original game they've released since Grim Fandango that I've been excited by.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/60409

I was checking out this little video on it and lo, didn't the LucasArts guy talk about how amazing it was to meet Grossman, Holland and Schafer --- wait, rewind the tape. How has he had the opportunity to meet the last two?! Are they remaking Grim Fandango? X-Wing? Full Throttle (which even mentions a Special Edition in its readme! :). I hope so... with their involvement.)

Anyway, hurrah for LucasArts for creating Lucidity!

Yeah I remember watching that video and him hinting at a project with Schafer or others, that would be amazing.

I just downloaded Lucidity on Steam so I'll give it a go some time tonight. I am not expecting too much, but I do think it's great to see LucasArts doing titles like these again.

Well, it seems I'll also have to try this "Braid" thing everyone's talking about.
Definitely do it. I haven't beaten it yet but it's a great game, very artistic.

I tried out Lucidity last night and I guess my early impressions are that it's a cool game, definitely good to see LucasArts can come up with original ideas, but can be a bit frustrating at times.

Archived