Home

List of Must play adventure games/point and clicks

purple_tentacle_

Machinarium:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
machinarium_vytah.jpg

Samorost 2:

samorost2.jpg

The Neverhood:

neverhood2.jpg

Layton And the Diabolical Box:

layton-cover-670.jpg

The Last Express:

rouse6.jpg

Also Of Note: Layton 1, The Whispered World, Myst and Definitely Riven, Nellie Cootalot (Indie but quite atmospheric and fairly well designed), The Quest for The Rest, Mysteries of Time and Space, What Makes You Tick (Again, Indie but Well Done, and A Sequel is on the way), Ben And Dan 1 and 2, Anything By Humongous Entertainment, Penny Arcade Adventures if you're into Adventure/RPGs. From an enthusiast standpoint I tend to prefer Point and Clicks, and 2D or Visually innovative ones at that, but the Myst Series is absolutely perfect in concept, and The Last Express is one of the absolute best designed games I've ever played. /Wall Of Text.

I tried Samorost 2 after watching the trailer for Machinarium and while it has an interesting art style there is practically no gameplay and it was the hardest, most frustrating exercise of pixel hunting I've ever experienced.

Looking forward to Machinarium though as the art style looks amazing, although I'd perhaps classify it more as a puzzle game than a point'n'click adventure game. Same with Somorost 2.

Ditto on The Last Express.
That one is on my to-play list.

Some of my favorite adventure games outside of LA games are Myst III and IV, Zork: Nemesis and Zork: Grand Inquisitor, The 7th Guest, and Hotel Dusk. Hotel Dusk is pretty much a must-play for any DS owners here. I have liked pretty much all the LA ones I've played so I won't name them all out.

I never turn down an opportunity to talk about how good I think the first Gabriel Knight game is - especially after the recent Mojo article I wrote which is quite critical of Sierra in many ways. Sins of the Fathers is better than Broken Sword in my opinion, which is about the closest game I know in terms of style.

Is proffesor layton a good game? I am now thinking about getting it.

I just got my first Nintendo DS a few days ago, bundled with the first Professor Layton game. I'm enjoying it immensely, but it's not a traditional point-and-click adventure game. The story is actually played out by itself, and all you do as a player is solve puzzles - not adventure game puzzles, but the kind you would find in a puzzle/riddle book (like 'move one match to change 4 cubes into 3', maze puzzles, logic puzzles, things like that). I'd say that if you like those kind of puzzles, you'll like Professor Layton as well. If you just like adventure games, you wouldn't necessarily enjoy Professor Layton.

I've been really looking forward to Machinarium for a year or so now, but it's not fair to include it as it hasn't quite yet been released (there is a demo though and I loved it).

Samorost 1 and 2 are highly recommended.

I really enjoyed 5 Days a Stranger and 7 Days a Skeptic.

I also remember having enjoyed quite a lot The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: Case of the Rose Tattoo. I was once an avid Sherlock Holmes reader, so I can say the essence is really there.

And what else? mmh... The Neverhood was also mentioned and I also love it (but was it a graphic adventure game? not sure about that..).

Oh, yes! here it is a game not many people heard about and it's very funny and bizarre, Kingdom O' Magic. Unfortunately it's not an easy game to get this days.

I'm sure there is more, but those are all the highlights I remember now. I recently began playing Beneath a Steel Sky and while it's not blowing my mind I'm rather enjoying it so far. You can get it for free on the link.

Well, any LucasArts point 'n' click adventure game, of course. And, I'll second elTee on Gabriel Knight 1, even if I still haven't finished it... Myst and Riven are musts (Myst 3 and 4 are good too, just not as good as the first two). And Riven is much better than Myst even. The Journeyman Project series definitely musts too. And Broken Sword 1 and Humongous games (even if they are for kids!). I'm sure there are others that I have that I love but can't think of right now :p

I just got my first Nintendo DS a few days ago, bundled with the first Professor Layton game. I'm enjoying it immensely, but it's not a traditional point-and-click adventure game. The story is actually played out by itself, and all you do as a player is solve puzzles - not adventure game puzzles, but the kind you would find in a puzzle/riddle book (like 'move one match to change 4 cubes into 3', maze puzzles, logic puzzles, things like that). I'd say that if you like those kind of puzzles, you'll like Professor Layton as well. If you just like adventure games, you wouldn't necessarily enjoy Professor Layton.

Sounds good enough for me. Still like the original point and click adventures though. They never get old.

Ditto on The Last Express.

I also liked Discworld Noir and Simon The Sorcerer 1.

Ive never played Simon the Sorcerer 1. or any of them. Love disc world!!! Dont like the 2nd.

----------------------------------

My new list outside of Lucasarts:

1.Discworld

2.Police Quest

3.Police Quest 2

4.Liesure Suit larry

And just for you Ascovel:

5. Frantic Franko

Cant wait till the full version is released.

My new LA top 5:

1. Day of the Tentacle

2. MI2

3. COMI

4. Full Throttle

5. Loom

And if I put a sixth it would be Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders. Loom was right on the edge of being sixth. I like all LA Games and its to hard to choose a top 5.

Hey here is a website with a good top five but I was surprised that they put space quest in there. I realy didnt like it. I liked the Police Quest series and the Kings Quest Series. But I was happy to see that DOTT is top.

"TOP 5" LA and "OUTSIDE LA"

I still cant pick a good top five so give me your top 10 for LA and OUTSIDE LA.

• 7 months later...

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle

Sam & Max Hit the Road

Full Throttle

Maniac Mansion Deluxe (fan-remake)

Those, in my opinion, are the best computer games in the world, bar none. I also enjoy the TellTale Sam & Max episodes. Never played any other LucasArts games besides the other Indy titles (Infernal Machine, Emperor's Tomb, and Staff of Kings).

Archived