Home

Looking for Video Editing Software

swphreak

Does anyone here know of any good video editing software? I'm looking for a program to edit videos and to be able to burn decent quality DVDs. My Vista laptop has Windows Movie Maker, but the video quality is crap when I burn videos to DVDs.

I'm not looking for those hundred / thousand dollar editing suites, just something in the $50 range that does the job (or even free).

I recommend two pieces of good, open source software, good sir:

Avidemux is a free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks. It supports many file types, including AVI, DVD compatible MPEG files, MP4 and ASF, using a variety of codecs.

http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

DVDStyler is a cross-platform free DVD authoring application for the creation of professional-looking DVDs. It allows not only burning of video files on DVD that can be played practically on any standalone DVD player, but also creation of individually designed DVD menus.

http://www.dvdstyler.de/index.php?lang=en

Windows Movie Maker, but the video quality is crap when I burn videos to DVDs.

Whilst the apps recommended by bill/Ray are definitely more fully featured, WMM/Windows DVD Maker can be tweaked to give the image quality you desire, depending on your source of course.

If you are using a highly compressed source eg. a p2p xvid, as opposed to footage from a dv camera, by the time it gets re-encoded into mpeg2, it definitely isnt going to look any better! There is a new version of WMM in windows live suite - if you want to try a it.

As for a paid app - I thoroughly recommend Adobe Premiere Elements 8. Its $80USD and pretty easy to pick up and use - and get help with

Check out the Product Page/Free Trial

mtfbwya

Archived