• Second Half of 2010
    • First Half of 2011
    • Second Half of 2011
    • First Half of 2012
    • 21st December, 2012
    • After 2012
    • Never. Ever.

• 3 weeks later...

You see, consoles are the eunuchs of computers; they have all the hardware as any other normal computer, but they are "modified" too only play games, and only certain ones, to boot. So, yes, it's only very natural to want an omnipotent machine over a crippled, restricted one. ;)

What, don't you like games or something? There're loads of great games on the current consoles. If you want to play Brutal Legend you must like games, no? :D

I'm a writer, and my time is primarily taken up by that. That means I need a computer.

The reason I have for not getting a game console is the same as my reason for not getting a dedicated word processor. If I get hung up on a story, I can always close it out, and play some of a game, then go back to the story later.

Something I can't do with either a game console or word processor.

Which irritates me when they release a game for a game console only.

I can see where you're coming from, but when I hit a similar juncture a few years ago I realised that it was costing me so much to keep my machine up to gaming standard it was more worthwhile to just drop £200 on a console and get about six years out of it (which is how long they actually last nowadays), keeping the PC on a more work-orientated budget (ie: less graphics card power).

If you enjoy games then getting a console is a bit of a no-brainer. I appreciate that you have a job that needs a PC, just like I do. But really, if you're not going to indulge your hobbies what's the point of spending all that time writing? :o For anyone who likes games they are tremendous value for money.

It's not like consoles are that limited anymore, either. My console also serves as my blu-ray/DVD player, music system, web browser, TV hard drive, and potentially Linux partition. It is about as useful with regards to multiple purposes as my PC in all honesty.

I'm sure I can't change your mind on this, but it pains me to see you heading for a whole world of irritation because the no-games-on-PC is inevitably going to get worse and worse, especially as consoles start seriously adopting technologies like Natal and motion sensitivity when the next generation comes around.

I can see where you're coming from, but when I hit a similar juncture a few years ago I realised that it was costing me so much to keep my machine up to gaming standard it was more worthwhile to just drop £200 on a console and get about six years out of it (which is how long they actually last nowadays), keeping the PC on a more work-orientated budget (ie: less graphics card power).

If you enjoy games then getting a console is a bit of a no-brainer. I appreciate that you have a job that needs a PC, just like I do. But really, if you're not going to indulge your hobbies what's the point of spending all that time writing? :o For anyone who likes games they are tremendous value for money.

It's not like consoles are that limited anymore, either. My console also serves as my blu-ray/DVD player, music system, web browser, TV hard drive, and potentially Linux partition. It is about as useful with regards to multiple purposes as my PC in all honesty.

I'm sure I can't change your mind on this, but it pains me to see you heading for a whole world of irritation because the no-games-on-PC is inevitably going to get worse and worse, especially as consoles start seriously adopting technologies like Natal and motion sensitivity when the next generation comes around.

As I am in my 50s, I don't expect to be around long enough for it to be seriously irritating. After all, I've dealt with every president since Eisenhower

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

SUPER-NERDY GRAPHICAL AND PERFORMANCE DETAILS

Currently Brütal Legend for PC is in beta, which means we have more improvements planned before the full launch. Here’s a rundown.

The current version has the following:

• Much higher quality anti-aliasing (FXAA and SSAA). Users will be able to select these through the UI in a soon to come update.

• Support for resolutions > 720p (whatever your monitor/GPU will support).

• SSAO (screen-space ambient occlusion) which makes for better contact shadows and more solid looking objects.

• Major improvements to latency/lag in multiplayer, especially in large games or games where some players have very bad pings.

Updates over the next week or so will add:

• Uncapped (i.e. as fast as your GPU can handle) framerate.

• Support for high-fidelity (i.e. 60Hz) simulation in single player.

• Higher quality shadows.

• Increased draw distance (which users can tune to be larger or smaller if need be).

Now that's what I call a good port.

Archived