Home

I just replayed Monkey Island 2 for the first time in over 10 years!

ThunderPeel2001

It still doesn't work because of the way the song is structured...

x is connected to the y

z is connected to the a

b is connected to the c

So do you look for a door with

xzb

or

yac

or

xyz

and for the next door which ones to you look for?

If I remember right there was like one time where there was no fitting door, so I just picked a random one, or there was only one door in the room.

but in general I think there was always a door that fitted the discription exactly. Sometimes you also had to doubleback through the door you came from.

If I remember right there was like one time where there was no fitting door, so I just picked a random one, or there was only one door in the room.

but in general I think there was always a door that fitted the discription exactly. Sometimes you also had to doubleback through the door you came from.

No, there's always a correct door. You can move left and right in the corridor too, you know?

I think that LeChuck's Revenge is better than The Secret of Monkey Island. I liked the atmosphere of both games, in SoMI especially when you are on Monkey Island itself, but I liked the darker atmosphere of MI2 even more.

Yeah, there were a couple of puzzles I couldn't work out because I found them too hard (like the bone puzzle, I knew that I had to use the song's lyrics but I couldn't figure out how) but I think most puzzles were doable after a little effort.

Oh and by the way, I actually liked all the fourth wall breaking stuff. You don't see it a lot in computer games that that fourth wall just gets broken so many times and I liked it a lot. In Monkey Island 1 you get the same with jokes like "Never pay more than 20 dollars for a computer game".

Thanks for the info, SG. I didn't know the Easy version of MI2 was so different (no bone song!). Maybe I'll play it through one day.

And Elaine was shown after Guybrush appeared as a child, wondering what became of Guybrush next to th e whole in the ground. There was no little girl version made of her. What she said did greatly help the CMI team go on their explanation, but I can't help wondering what Ron Gilbert may have meant by that quick scene with Elaine showing up in the credits.

Same goes for LeChuck's voodoo eyes look at the user at the end... It's utterly absurd when people suggest that those two bits were Guybrush's imagination or something.

The ending was deliberately ambiguous, and certainly did nothing to suggest that it was definitely all a child's fantasy (unless you ignore many equally prominent signs to the contrary) -- but for some people it's their "perfect answer", I guess.

My problem with the spitting contest was that you had no idea that you were supposed to mix the drinks together.

Yeah, I think I'd accidentally read two bits of hints to do with the spitting contest, otherwise I'd never have gotten it. Something like "spit when the wind blows" and a "use the green drink to make your spit thick". Those puzzles were just sadistic... In fact, after spending so long on Scabb during the beginning of the game, I didn't think to go back and look for new things to help me solve puzzles there.

Also, a quick note about the "spit encrusted paper" being obvious: Guybrush is shown "waking up" from his dream in the same position as he fell --it's a leap of logic to suggest that he was really writing anything down (although it's certainly a commonly used literary device -- "Man reaches his hand into his pocket and pulls out object from dream --- 'It really did happen!'".

Another quick note: Did anybody notice that Monkey Island 2 was NOT in the Double Fine offices in that video? It went: MI1, DOTT, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Psychonauts and Brutal Legend. Does it means something? Does it mean nothing? :)

The ending was deliberately ambiguous, and certainly did nothing to suggest that it was definitely all a child's fantasy (unless you ignore many equally prominent signs to the contrary) -- but for some people it's their "perfect answer", I guess.

But then on the flip side of this, you have to ignore just as many prominent signs to conclude that it wasn't. ;)

But then on the flip side of this, you have to ignore just as many prominent signs to conclude that it wasn't. ;)

Not really, no. The "child's fantasy" explanation requires you to ignore plenty of things for it to make any sense. A better solution wouldn't require you to ignore anything... Question is, what is the better solution? :)

Yeah it really seems like the dream sequence is the moment at which the games goes a bit crazy. That could be interpreted in any way possible - from all the events after that being part of the dream, Guybrush being dead, him waking up with concussion, him waking up under a spell... it's endless really.

It's probably weird before then actually, I shouldn't say that because I have no evidence for it. But the child's imagination theory certainly has some major holes in it - as mentioned, Elaine's mid-credits statement and Chuckie's demon eyes. It almost makes more sense to me, with the way the game fractures as you progress (and gets weirder and weirder) that they're doing the ultra-postmodern thing and suggesting that the code of the game you are playing is corrupting somehow.

I'm not really suggesting that though ;-)

Ah, you wonderful person, you! Thanks very much, that was a great read... plus that was the first time I've seen any sales figures for the classic LucasArts games.

So...

MI2: 25,000 copies (although I remember reading that it sold more in its first week than MI1 did in its entirety)

DOTT: 85,000

Full Throttle: 1,000,000

Grim Fandango: 500,000

Damn! FT was REALLY successful!

I just replayed the dream sequence to remind myself of it, and I don't know if this is significant or totally irrelevant, but LeChuck turns into Guybrush (sprite from MI1) before he sprays him with the root beer.

I wondered if it could be interpreted as MI2 being the fantasy of Guybrush from the first game - the dream of the life he would like to lead as a mighty pirate, which leads to his 'real world' self going to Melee island (a less-tough/policed Scabb?) to state: "My name is Guybrush Threepwood and I want to be a pirate!"

In which case an MI3 could have been a child Guybrush in whatever scenario he was in directly prior to MI1, trying to rejoin the start of that game. Heee! No, that's ridiculous.

Haha God, I've gone off the deep end perhaps.

Overall I enjoyed MI2 more then SOMI. Mainly because it was alot less linear than SOMI. I could choose which island I wanted to start my quest on (ex.Booty Island) and stick with it till I got the map piece or I could throw caution to the wind and preform the classic art of island-hopping by multi-tasking on all three islands. I didn't find the puzzles too hard though. I guess it as either I watched a playthrough about the game and remembered most of the puzzles or it was just me using my own brand of common sense (and its a very strange brand indeed)....

:)

We're meant to assume he pees on it, right? For some reason that's what I remember thinking, but I haven't played MI2 on easy since 1991 or something.

Haha, yeah. I don't know how he does it, considering his arms are chained up. Wally is multitalented.

Also, thanks for the scans, Thrik :). Always nice to read interviews I've missed since I'm a bum who only reads magazines whenever I'm inside a store. Too bad about his first marriage though. The crunch times I may face in the future make me scared too...

It almost makes more sense to me, with the way the game fractures as you progress (and gets weirder and weirder) that they're doing the ultra-postmodern thing and suggesting that the code of the game you are playing is corrupting somehow.

I'm not really suggesting that though ;-)

I'm hoping the original intent was something more along these lines, because it sounds pretty good to me and somehow 80 times more satisfying than waking up from a child's pirate dream.

If you try to open the spyglass

Which seems to have made tons of players everywhere (or just me) go back and "open a spyglass" in Monkey Island 1, since I'm guessing most everyone just used the flint rock. I always find that funny.

No, firing the cannon on the ship is also solvable in different ways. You need a fire to light the cannon, you can use different paper items in your inventory for this.

And there are also more than two ways to solve the dam blowing puzzle.

More than two ways?! I only know of the flint and the lens... what other ways are there?

Archived