Home

My Annual Halloween Movie Thread!

Darth Groovy

It would not be that time of the year, if I did not post my annual Halloween movie thread!

This is where I post a short review as to why the film is scary, and convince you all to go out and rent said movie...

Most of you who know me, will know that not all of my films are conventional Halloween movies, but will find either scary or fun!

I guess I am showing signs of age since many of my movies are showing signs of age like me. Truth be told, most of what has come out in recent days has recycled garbage from the films I mention. This year I am going to add a few "newer" titles, and to make it more legit, I am going to post youtube links to better qualify them. Hopefully, you can use this list as a guide to spice up your Halloween party, or make your Halloween night more memorable. Thank God for Netflix right?

10. The Grudge (2004)

Student Sarah Michelle Gellar discovers a curse that is so powerful it not only haunts a particular area, but haunts the person who encounters it as well. Originally shown to Japanese audiences as Ju-On, this movie has a stupid ending, but there are some genuine creepy moments in this film that will last with you if you dare to look at it. Also, despite what you hear, the American version is creepier. Have a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGcaarYS2Go

9. The Shining (1980)

Jack Nicholson agrees to watch over the "Overlook Hotel" for a winter's season so that he can work on writing a novel. What he fails to realize is that seclusion of such magnitude can cause madness...especially in an already haunted hotel such as the Overlook. His clairvoyant son Danny picks up on the dangers way before anyone else...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TVooUHN7j4

8. The Mummy (1999)

Probably the best movie to feature Rachel Weiscz along side the likes of Brenden Frasier, Oded Fehr, and Arnold Vosloo. In surch of Huminaptra, our gang accidentally wake up the Mummy known as "Imhotep" who happens to have power over the sands and certain undead priests. The Mummy is more of an Indianna Jones type movie with tons of action and ancient artifacts, but all of which is far more fun then the any of the original versions of this story.

7. The Lost Boys (1987)

One of the best vampire movies ever made. Long before the likes of the evil trench coat mafia that shot up a school, Keifer Sutherland and his gang prowl the streets of Santa Carla California for fresh blood and new recruits. New comers Sam and Michael are victims of the cause. This movie mixes humor, 80's rock n' Roll, and state of the art special FX. The funniest thing about this movie is mixing the possibility of becoming a vampire with that of sheer puberty. I have not seen a movie done this well in a very long time.

6. Fright Night

Charley Brewster is on his own when nobody believes that a vampire has moved in next door. When he witnesses victims being slain, Brewster tries to enlist the help of local TV personality "Peter Vincent" vampire killer (Roddy McDowell), who only takes on Brewster's offer for the money. This movie is funny, but features Chris Sarandon as a modern day vampire who seduces his pray at the local dance clubs.

5. An American Werewolf In London

David Naughton is bitten by a werewolf while on vacation in London. The film directed by John Landis is both funny and frightening. The special fx by Rick Baker are oscar winning and legendary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PytVi_82Qk

4. Christine

A love for a classic car changes a boy's life drastically.

3. Night Of The Living Dead.

You know the story, the dead walk the Earth. People get caught up in the cross fire. The original still scares the piss out of me.

2. The Amityville Horror

James Brolin and family have a hard time adapting to a house that is obviously haunted. Based on a true story.

1. Halloween

John Carpenter's original movie always makes you think twice about the boogie man. Forget Rob Zombie, the original is scary enough for all ages. Yes, Groovy had actual nightmares about this film well into his teens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ-gGq-v4-4

13 ghosts, House on Haunted Hill, and the Tingler, all by William Castle are all classics. They're more campy than scary, but parts of House on Haunted Hill scared the dickens out of me when I was young (people who have seen it will know what parts).

I've always enjoyed The Fly and the Fly 2 (the originals with Vincent Price). The Monolith Monsters was awesome too. But once again, not exactly scary.

Nosferatu was weird, but iconic. Still scary just to look at.

If you want something more modern, I liked the Ring and the Ring Two (American versions). Saw 1 was the only good Saw IMO and I enjoyed it. There was also this Japanese film about a photographer that was good, but I forgot what it was called.

That's about all I can think of right now.

New this year, that everyone needs to check out, is Drag Me To Hell.

From Sam Raimi, director of the iconic Evil Dead movies, it's a thrill ride from one end to another. It simultaneously plays with the genre, and plays to the genre. There are jumpscares around every corner, yet it's completely aware of how ridiculous it's being.

Heartily recommended, especially watching it with a bunch of friends. o/

On Halloween I will probably be stumbling around piss-drunk in a ridiculous costume, but if I watch any movies beforehand it'll probably be one of my Vincent Price-movies. The Witchfinder General (The Conqueror Worm in the US) is a great classic British horror movie, not really scary but with atmosphere by the bucketload.

New this year, that everyone needs to check out, is Drag Me To Hell.

From Sam Raimi, director of the iconic Evil Dead movies, it's a thrill ride from one end to another. It simultaneously plays with the genre, and plays to the genre. There are jumpscares around every corner, yet it's completely aware of how ridiculous it's being.

Heartily recommended, especially watching it with a bunch of friends. o/

QFE. Drag Me To Hell and the Evil Dead movies are always good choices.

I don't know if it fits in this category, but 28 Days Later is one of my favorite films of all time. Zombies are fitting for Halloween, right?

Yes, I know they aren't actually Zombies in 28 Days Later. They're humans infected with a virus. Sue me.

I don't know if it fits in this category, but 28 Days Later is one of my favorite films of all time. Zombies are fitting for Halloween, right?

Yes, I know they aren't actually Zombies in 28 Days Later. They're humans infected with a virus. Sue me.

Yeah I love 28 Days Later too. The soundtrack is also one of my favourites with the song "In the House - In a Heartbeat" getting regular plays from me.

Also, if you're a fan of Sean of the Dead (and I don't know anyone who isn't), you should definately watch Severence. It's a horror comedy in the same vein and stars the awesome Danny Dyer.

Agreed. I've seen few films with as fitting a soundtrack as 28 Days Later.

I think that's the reason why I love the band "Explosions in the Sky" so much. If you haven't heard them then you should definitely check them out, leXX. They're very reminiscent of the 28 Days Later soundtrack, stylistically, at least.

Well, Halloween Movies...hmmm, I just finished watching a movie that isn't necessarily scary, but has Zombies in it. Shaun of the Dead should fit the bill pretty well :D {Oh wait, LeXx already said this one...oops :D I'll have to check out Severance, then :D }

Then, I will point to one of Alfred Hitchcock's classic films, Pyscho. That's all I got right now :D

Also, if you're a fan of Sean of the Dead (and I don't know anyone who isn't), you should definately watch Severence. It's a horror comedy in the same vein and stars the awesome Danny Dyer.

that movie is awesome. watched it on netflix a few months ago. :)

hostel part 2 gave me nightmares for some reason.

Nosferatu was weird, but iconic. Still scary just to look at.

If you remotely like Nosferatu and yes I agree it is really scary to look at. You should watch this film that came out in 2000. I guarantee you will never look at Nosferatu the same way ever again.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0189998/

Willem Dafoe received an Oscar nomination for this one, and it was well deserved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv8RjFtGkB8

With stuff like Hostel 1 and 2, I'm ususally happy to see the characters get it cause they are all overprivileged whining asses. It's a problem I find with lots of modern 'horror' movies.

Groovy has a good list though, plenty of John Carpenter and Sam Raimi. I try to watch The Thing whenever the first snowstorm hits, which may or may not be before halloween depending on the year :p I'd throw Phantasm 1-4 on the list as well.

With stuff like Hostel 1 and 2, I'm ususally happy to see the characters get it cause they are all overprivileged whining asses. It's a problem I find with lots of modern 'horror' movies.

Groovy has a good list though, plenty of John Carpenter and Sam Raimi. I try to watch The Thing whenever the first snowstorm hits, which may or may not be before halloween depending on the year :p I'd throw Phantasm 1-4 on the list as well.

Yes, Bill has a good point. The problem I have with most "modern" horror movies even the remakes, is that in order to have a successful horror movie, you need to involve a protagonist that you can relate too. Alfred Hitchcock once stated that the most truly terrifying things involve normal people in unusual situations. He also once quoted "There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it. " Even Spielberg has capitalized upon that.

The only reason I don't put John Carpenter's The Thing on my "Halloween" list is because despite the alien entities that populate it and the gore and madness, the plot still centers around "cabin fever" which I feel is captured brilliantly in The Shinning but like Bill says, it is better to watch The Thing in the dead of winter, in several feet of snow, to get the full experience. The true fear of the film, is that the alien entity can morph into any form it consumes. The result of which results in nobody trusts anybody. Everybody things the other person is the alien. Check it out! This is one of the most scariest scenes in the film! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkNyC6MQMj0

John Carpenter's The Thing is a truly remarkable film that has terrified me for years.

The Evil Dead Trilogy has also had a profound influence on my life, as my user name is a direct result of a long weekend of drinking, watching Star Wars Movies, and then watching the Evil Dead Trilogy for the first time ever. The Evil Dead is a schlock movie by Sam Raimi, it never really scared me, but the gore of it was pretty funny to me, even though it was not supposed to be. It is a remake of an earlier student project of Raimi's called "A Cabin In The Woods". Raimi's sense of humor, along with lead actor Bruce Campbell, would become more, and more cartoonish as the films progressed. The second film Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn is my favorite entry in the series, because it is a complete remake of the first Evil Dead movie, only less schlock and more humor! This clip sums it up for me, as this is the day that my alter ego "Darth Groovy" was born. http://www.youtube.co/watch?v=Qr4PcOQYFAw. To this day Bill associates me more with Bruce Campbell than that of Darth Maul for this reason. Army of Darkness was the direct sequel to this movie, but has more in common with that of Jason and the Argo naughts, or Sin Bad than it does with traditional horror. In this one "Ash" [bruce Campbell] while trying to get home to his dull life, accidentally wakes up the Army of The Dead, and has to deal with it. Army of Darkness has more cartoon humor than any of it's predecessors so it can barely be called a horror film. Otherwise that would be on my list too.

BAH!! Hostel and Saw aren't horror. They're gorror. About as entertaining as a Snuff film, but with the added affect of being glossed over by the media as 'good movies'. Seriously, I'd rather listen to Fran Drescher for 8 hours than sit down to watch those movies...

...thats not true, but I still won't be throwing either of those titles in the horror genre any time this millenia.

And if you want a REAL scary movie, I'd suggest XXX or Reign of Fire. *shudders*

That's just sick... I heard the government used Fran Drescher to get people to talk during interrogations...

You sir, are the KING of torture methods. :eek:

As terrible as that comes off, thats probably the nicest thing anyone has said to me all year.

Archived