Home

Scanners and Privacy at airports

kipperthefrog

That scanner does not seem particularly disturbing, so long as the guard who is viewing the image is visible (although the image had better not be :p) and the image is not stored. Since scanning someone for weapons isn't linked to your ID, I'm unsure of how this has privacy implications other than someone seeing a B&W X-ray image of you for a moment-- much less than someone might see in a public shower. Even if you were uncomfortable with it, you could still decline the scan and have the familiar pat-down if you like that better. I am not against security measures in general, and so far as it goes this one seems pretty tame (as opposed to searching your things, data on your computer, watch lists, etc).

However, I do agree that so much hysteria about terrorism is simply used to make laws that inevitably are used more against common citizens than the terrorists they were made for, and that is doing exactly what you describe: removing our rights in the guise of security when there is little to no more effective protection gained my such extraordinary measures.

Firstly airports; as a frequent air traveller I have to say UK airports are pretty good, and to be honest I actually like the idea of this scanner no longer will there be inane having to take shoes and belts off, but my somewhat cynical approach to airport security would be less with these machines, as I think they actually work opposed the the current systems which leave me less than convinced.

However, with regards Freedom of Speech, though I haven't watched the video I do entirely disagree with the erosion of Freedom of Speech, as I am a massive proponent of John Stuart Mills essay "On Liberty", and I think he along with Voltaire were very much correct in their assessment of why allowing people to speak freely is of profound importance.

Yeah, but how effective is such a plasma channel if you simply slide under it?

As to rights in general, I think a lot of rights are going to be eroded in "free societies" via several vehicles that revolve around economic, ecological and national/physical security.

Archived