Home

Would Yoda be instantly more powerful than he ever was if he...

Parmenides

lol, nice pick.

So, if the dark side is quicker and easier... will 20 years of training in the dark side get you more results/progress than 20 years of training in the light?

And to ask more, will yoda instantly gain by virtue of the fact that his knowledge of the force will be more diversified?

To complement the question, would Palpatine (before being exposed) have much to gain if he went into the jedi temple to learn as a padawan?

*ahem*:

At this moment Yoda turned, and Dooku gasped. Whether it was the play of the holomonitors, beaming their views of bleak space and distance battles, or some other trick of the light, Yoda's face was deeply hidden in the shadows, mottled black and blue, so that for one terrible instant he looked exactly like Darth Sidious. Or rather, it was Yoda as he might have been, or could yet become: a Yoda gone rotten, a Yoda whose awesome power had been utterly unleashed by the power of the dark side. In a flash Dooku saw how foolish he had been, trying to urge the old Master to the dark side. If Yoda ever turned that way, Sidious himself would be annihilated. The Universe had yet to compehend the kind of evil that a Jedi Knight of nearly nine hundred years could wield.

that there answers the question in 100% canon irrefutability.

Well, glad that you are the ultimate authority, <snipped>.

Another take.... How would a 900 year old jedi not know the Dark side of the force?

Is it not a Master's dutiful role to know your enemy? To learn everything possible, and if it is risky, to take precautions and move forward anyway?

I assume that Yoda knew the Force in and out, and simply made his choice long ago, and again and again. One does not choose to be good at the beginning and then by default stay that way.... just play KotOR or TFU for evidence of that.

Well, glad that you are the ultimate authority, <snipped>

is that an air of tetchy i sense?

in any case its not me, its SW canon.

Another take.... How would a 900 year old jedi not know the Dark side of the force?

Is it not a Master's dutiful role to know your enemy? To learn everything possible, and if it is risky, to take precautions and move forward anyway?

In Legacy of the Jedi, Dooku's best friend was a padawan called Lorian Nod. In the book, Lorian said something like "As Yoda says, you have to know the dark side in order to fight it"

to which Dooku replied: "Master Yoda never said that!"

(i can't remember the exact quote, and cant find it on the interwebs either)

I assume that Yoda knew the Force in and out, and simply made his choice long ago, and again and again. One does not choose to be good at the beginning and then by default stay that way.... just play KotOR or TFU for evidence of that.

AFAIK somewhere George Lucas himself mentioned that Yoda had never turned to the dark side. If not GL, im 100% certain ive heard it said in some documentary or something.

Personally, thats why i like Yoda. He's resisted the dark side for 900 years, and is still immensely powerful. He was also ultra wise, nice, and had a sense of humor too. He was the ultimate paragon of textbook lightside.

I wouldn't mind an infinities showing the possibility of a dark sided Yoda and the personification of pwnage he would be.

As for the rest of your post, I recognize that you are a big reader of the SW canon, and so I give you kudos for knowing your "canon". I do put it in quotes because we are talking about "canon" in a purely fantastic world, and I think (I think) that canon is not the ultimate definitive word in that universe - for one, it contradicts itself too often (someone get the Continuity Asst. Writer on this!!!) and is too limiting, in that if something is not directly expressed in canon, it must not be the case.

Regarding GL's statement, please re-read my post. I never said that Yoda went to the dark side, only that he studied it. I remember reading, oh, say, 20 years ago, about Luke having to study the dark arts to better prepare himself for battling the Emperor. It nearly undid him, but ultimately he stayed in the Light. (I do not recall if he actually ever fully "went" to the Darkside only to return...) Knowing your enemy is not identical to being your enemy.

Edit: Not being tetchy.... perhaps being a little pedantic though ;) Youngling.

But did Yoda taste the dark power? To feel the seducing evil power course through him? Textbook knowledge is well, textbook knowledge.

Hard to say, and a fair question. Have you ever felt true goodness or evil coursing through your veins? Would you recognize it if you had?

That is a philosophical question, so here is a philosophical response.

What is coursing through him?

Evil power or seduction?

Evil power seems hard to define, since it seems to look just like goodness power. Perhaps a slightly different visual manifestation, but the same power. See Yoda v. Sidious - the power looked different but in effect was the same. So in that regard, I fail to see a distinction.

Seduction of evil - even Yoda has felt it. Never forget the pride and arrogance of the Jedi Council, in the KotOR era and Vader's days. No one can escape temptation and seduction completely, it is simply against human nature. Like it or not, Yoda is human in how he was written - not infallible.

Seduction leading to discharge of "evil" power? No. Yoda was beyond that, a grown being. Maybe in his past, but then that would contradict canon as JIGOS pointed out earlier.

I can see Yoda having tested dark forces, perhaps using feelings of anger in conjuring force push on inanimate objects perhaps, but only in a limited way... the force is in all things... that rock...

My theory - Yoda had been practicing the force for so long that he just knew the whole thing, maybe not as intimately in the dark side, but comprehensively nevertheless. That is the way of mastery, as seen by my own eyes... mysterious and never exactly what you would expect, but always potent, in any situation.

Removed response to now-deleted comment.

As for the rest of your post, I recognize that you are a big reader of the SW canon, and so I give you kudos for knowing your "canon". I do put it in quotes because we are talking about "canon" in a purely fantastic world,

The word "canon" is used for stories and IPs like Star Wars. Its been established as such for quite some time and it is completely acceptable/normal to use it in this sense. You can more about that here.

and I think (I think) that canon is not the ultimate definitive word in that universe - for one, it contradicts itself too often (someone get the Continuity Asst. Writer on this!!!) and is too limiting, in that if something is not directly expressed in canon, it must not be the case.

Personally, I disagree. I believe it is the ultimate definitive word in that universe. Sure, none of it's real, but some stories are more real than others.

Canon is what preserves the sw universe's integrity. Its what separates the fanfictions from the actual story, and it may contradict itself in some parts, but that's no reason to disregard it's right to determine what is part of Star Wars, and what is not.

@Yoda and the dark side: I believe that he would have had such temptations in his younger days far more than he would have had by the movies. The more experience and Jedi wisdom he compassed through his years would've served to go against the dark temptations.

Those with more power would have stronger temptations to turn to the dark side, i think, and Yoda was one of the most powerful force sensitives of all SW time. Going by the assumption that he never turned to the dark side in all his 900 years... to have such a level of power, and not turn to the dark side for so long... that implies great strength, and is one of the reasons he is one of my favorite characters in SW.

Hard to say, and a fair question. Have you ever felt true goodness or evil coursing through your veins? Would you recognize it if you had?

That is a philosophical question, so here is a philosophical response.

What is coursing through him?

Evil power or seduction?

Well, the hard part with this question is that we never "felt" the force. So in that respect there is a disconnect between the fantasy world and with our world.

But to attempt to get into the "experience" and answer what "coursing through him" and "Evil power or seduction" is, we can draw from human nature that there is a difference between temptations and giving in (even if just for a moment). If I'm tempted to do evil wicked things I do no wrong. It's only when I give in. So, I'm sure yoda experienced many great temptations.

So, let's say I'm tempted to rape and murder (don't worry, I have not. I had many evil temptations but not those, thank goodness). If I were tempted, I'd feel the weight of its draw. But to actually feel what it's like to actually commit such acts is probably a whole different world. So, even if I studied criminal psychology from a textbook, I'm sure a rapist or a murderer would still tell me: "You have no idea what it's like to actually do it and experience the after effects." But maybe they wouldn't say that? I suppose this would be parallel to Yoda's situation.

But Lucas said the dark side is stronger, so in that case the answer is yes. :)

Lucas is good at contradicting his own storytelling,

"I'll invent a fictional universe, create a fictional Religion and mystic Power, create a fictional Wise Master and have him say The Darkside isn't Stronger, Make the Lightside prevail thus proving this... Then say the opposite in a DVD commentary, contradicting the story for no other reason than, Because I am Capo Don Lucas"

Sorry for the rant, but me and George have a Love/Hate relationship haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Bad thing about the Sith:

You will always, ALWAYS, end up killing each other.

The Dark Side is, as Palpatine said, a path to many abilities.

Kinda why if your Sith, you shouldn't ever love. Revan didn't, and he nearly slaughtered all Jedi.

And The Creator of the Jedi went mad after too much knowledge and power.

So, yeah ultimate power isn't exactly good for a mind.

Archived