Home

Surgery and DS games

Jae Onasi

Well, I'm going to have surgery in a week, and they're keeping me as an inmate overnight. I can't take my laptop, but I can take my DS. Anyone have suggestions on games that are easy to pick up and put down easily when I get tired, and games that aren't too hard to play? I know I'll be on some Good Drugs while in the hospital and won't be able to do real complex games.

Professor Layton is highly recommened, the first game being Curious Village. It plays out a lot like those old point-and-click adventures, except with lots and lots of puzzles (the kind you'd expect in those old puzzlebooks). A danged fine adventure it is, I'll say.

Scribblenauts, while mildly amusing and creatively challenging, quickly becomes boring. Especially after the umpteenth time you get annoyed with Maxwell's controls.

I'm not sure about whether GBA games work on the DS, but if they do, Golden Sun and its second part are a no-brainer. Maverick is the head of a clandestine organisation who systematically pick off people who own a Nintendo handheld and do not play Golden Sun. And let's just say that he holds no special mercy for women. None.

Jeff says Hotel Dusk is good, and I'm inclined to believe him. It's a classic point-and-click adventure, if I recall correctly, and I do recall correctly.

Finally, if you're in the mood for some tactical strategy, there's the Advance Wars games (two on the DS, both of which are good). If you prefer it with an RPG twist, there's one Fire Emblem game on the DS that I haven't played, and two on the GBA I've finished twice each and loved, despite their punishing natures.

And finally, there is of course, the Mario RPG, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and the recent one, Bowser's Inside Story. If you don't mind something that's excessively child-friendly, you'll enjoy it's unique style of role-playing.

@Sabre--Trauma Center--hahahaha. I avoid medical games like the plague--the inaccuracies drive me up a wall.

I remember ages ago seeing these articles about how surgeons were saying that they perform better in surgery after playing DS games XD

There is a study showing that surgeons who've played a lot of video games are better at performing laparoscopic procedures than surgeons who haven't played a lot. :D My surgeon looks a little too serious to be a video gamer type, but he's done something like over a thousand of the lap-band surgeries (which is what I'm having), among thousands of other related surgeries, so barring any bizarre complications, everything will go well.

Thanks for the suggestions, too. I'm OK with "kiddie games", too. I was thinking of trying out Lego Indy and one of the Pokemon games that my kids have. I might be able to steal back my new Professor Layton game from my son, too. :D

Honestly, Jae, it doesn't matter what game you play. Once you're all medicated, you won't know the difference.

You might run into a wall for an hour in the game and still think you're doing well. So just grab whatever seems like it will hold your attention... something with lots of colors and pretty lights.

I'm not sure about whether GBA games work on the DS, but if they do, Golden Sun and its second part are a no-brainer. Maverick is the head of a clandestine organisation who systematically pick off people who own a Nintendo handheld and do not play Golden Sun. And let's just say that he holds no special mercy for women. None.
This is true.

Since Jae said DS and not DSi, then she is indeed capable of playing GBA games, and if you have not played Golden Sun then you time spent with a Nintendo handheld has been altogether fruitless. :carms:

In the same vein as Golden Sun, I would also like to mention that there is a DS version of Chrono Trigger, aptly named, Chrono Trigger DS. For those that don't know (FOR SHAME) Chrono Trigger is arguably the greatest JRPG of all time.

All that being said, I'm not sure these are the types of games that would be enjoyable before/after a surgery whilst in a melodically medicated mentality. As they're not the type of game you would want to play off and on every 10-15 mintues.

Therefore, I would also, as others have done already, recommend the two Professor Layton games those being, The Curious Village and The Diabolical Box. You can easily just do a couple puzzles at a time and put it down. In fact most of the time I play the game I'm in my bed getting ready for sleep. As for the Phoenix Wright games I could play them after surgery, but they are pretty niche games, so you'll either like them or hate them. As for the Trauma Center games, they aren't really anywhere near trying to be accurate medically, which is what makes them fun.

Thanks for the suggestions, too. I'm OK with "kiddie games", too. I was thinking of trying out Lego Indy and one of the Pokemon games that my kids have. I might be able to steal back my new Professor Layton game from my son, too. :D

Beware the Pokémon games! They're highly addicting. :lol:

Far to old to watch the cartoons, but these simple RPGs have a fun element, that is sooooooo strong.

I still enjoy a small session of the Yellow version or red. Not sure how much more worth the newer editions are.

EDIT: And be sure to recover, the boards will filled with spam, by your absence.

I fear the evil forces are waiting...

Good luck! And lost of drugs, so you feel no pain :)

Try some of the Wario games. Warioware Touched is hillarious--though I don't own a DS but umm, yeah I tried that one out.

I remember ages ago seeing these articles about how surgeons were saying that they perform better in surgery after playing DS games XD

I think we actually read the same articles b/c that's what I thought of looking upon the thread title. :D

Honestly, Jae, it doesn't matter what game you play. Once you're all medicated, you won't know the difference.

You might run into a wall for an hour in the game and still think you're doing well. So just grab whatever seems like it will hold your attention... something with lots of colors and pretty lights.

^^^This.

I'm getting out of the hospital shortly. Surgery went well. Staff at the hospital were wonderful. I'm pretty sore, but I feel better than I did even yesterday. I slept so much that I didn't play anything at all, but with a month off work, I'll catch up. :)

Glad to hear it!

Heh, I'm still taking the 'special medicine'.

I had lap-band surgery for weight loss. After taking Tae Kwon Do for 5 years faithfully and making it to 1st Dan but only losing 10 pounds, even with watching what I ate (I was doing Weight Watchers at the same time), it was pretty obvious that I needed more intervention to get the weight off. This is a problem that runs in my family, too. My aunt and dad both have had to have weight loss surgery. My knee arthritis was getting so bad it wasn't funny, and my blood pressure was starting to creep up even with the diet control and exercise. I didn't want to develop heart disease or diabetes at a young age, and I want to be able to keep up with my kids. I did a ton of research on the different procedures and doctors in the region before deciding what to do and who to see (the surgeon I chose teaches other surgeons how to do the various weight loss surgeries and has a great pre-op and post-op program). I started the process in February and finally got the surgery date 8 months later--this is not unusual, by the way, since you have to do lots of nutritionist visits first along with various medical tests to make sure there are no serious problems that need to be addressed before the bariatric surgery itself. I'll always have to work at managing my weight, but the surgery gives me another tool to work with to make it much more manageable.

Oh, just like Ann Wilson. 10 Geezer Points for anyone who knows who that is. :xp:

I didn't mean to pry; I was just hoping that it wasn't anything too serious. At the same time I was also hoping that it wasn't something ridiculous like having fat sucked out of your ass and injected into your lips, but I know that you're far too sensible for that sort of thing. :p

Weight management can be an impossibility or near-impossibility for some people. If the surgery helps to keep you healthy, then you did the right thing. :)

Oh, just like Ann Wilson. 10 Geezer Points for anyone who knows who that is. :xp:
Yeah, I get geezer points, though I didnt' know she'd done the lap-band too. :)

I didn't mean to pry; I was just hoping that it wasn't anything too serious.
That was one of the reasons I decided to explain, so people didn't worry about the severity. I'll probably actually take a very brief walk outside today when Point Man gets home. It'll probably only be to the end of my sidewalk, but it's progress.

At the same time I was also hoping that it wasn't something ridiculous like having fat sucked out of your ass and injected into your lips, but I know that you're far too sensible for that sort of thing. :p
That and I'm not into senseless pain. I can't even pluck my eyebrows--the pain is not worth the bit of supposed beauty gain. :lol:

Weight management can be an impossibility or near-impossibility for some people. If the surgery helps to keep you healthy, then you did the right thing. :)
You should have seen the list of diet/exercise programs I've been through. :) I decided I either had to take control of my weight, or it was going to control me with diabetes, heart disease, and arthritis. If doing the lap-band now means a much better chance of preventing open-heart surgery for heart disease down the road, it is so worth it.

weight loss can be a real pain for those in the "after 29" crowd. You can starve yourself eat only cotton balls with lemon and still not lose weight. Its tough to convince your body to burn up the reserve energy it has.

Believe it or not one of the best ways I learned to get my weight down was NOT to eat at regular times. Change up the time you eat your big meal. Have a bigger lunch and a small dinner one day. Small lunch bigger dinner the next. Keep breakfast average.

Right now I'm 'eating' 3 medicine-cupfuls of pureed food for my 'meals', along with protein shakes in between. Trying to find a protein shake that tastes good is the hard part. I finally found some unflavored soy protein powder to put in my coffee. Ah well, I can't gripe too much. Heh.

Archived