Home

could someone explain how it works?)

Hopefully they should soon have the usual versions.

Im pretty sure I posted about upgrade pathways at techforum - its a bit of a confusing mess. If you are pc confident, I recommend buying an oem version - theyre usually cheaper(defintely the case here).

There are many variants but they key ones available to the public for standalone purchase are:

W7 Premium > equivalent to Vista's home premium

W7 Pro > equivalent to Vista Business

W7 Ultimate

the latter two will be less commonly available. All three of these have inbuilt tablet and windows media center functionality. The other editions etc are usually available with special licenses(eg schools) and system purchases. There was initially going to be a 3 app concurrent restriction fo rthese but it was lifted IIRC due to public ire ;)

mtfbwya

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im pretty sure I posted about upgrade pathways at techforum

ok. im off to hunt that down.

If you are pc confident,

o_Q

I recommend buying an oem version - theyre usually cheaper(defintely the case here).

Thats the plan. (check my build thread ;) )

Thing is that the student select stuff is exactly like the normal OEM version (actually, they are OEM), except you need to be a registered student to get them. (and they're way cheaper). So i'm just keeping an eye out if there'll be a non-upgrade student select version of 7, because if there is, itll be way cheaper than the OEM you get from stores.

There was initially going to be a 3 app concurrent restriction fo rthese but it was lifted IIRC due to public ire

a maximum number of installed software?!

[edit]Found the info i needed from The Ultimate Windows 7 Upgrade FAQ

linked in the first post of The Windows 7 Thread.

[/edit]

New Thread Question: What did Microsoft do for Launch Day in your country?

I don't know or care about launch day, but they did cut 20% off the price for India because we pirate stuff a lot. I will be surprised, nay, shocked if a 20% cut did anything to curb piracy because I don't know a single person (or organisation I've been a part of) that has used an original copy of Windows.

unless Boot Camp can run it yet.

Funny u say that - are u usin boot camp? is it good? coz im also mac user now and want something like that for windows 7.

I was thinking of VMWare but came across boot camp

@Topic

Windows 7 is a brill improvement since vista. When i tried it out on my Laptop it was workin gr8 and games run awesomely

Here's MS student discont reg page.

http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/en_US/DisplayHomePage?resid=JoT8uwoHAikAADRWLiIAAAAH&rests=1256355888928

Just pop in your school/college email address to see if you qualify and you can get Win7 premium upgrade edition for $29.95. That page is the US version so if youre outside of the US you may need to check what is available in your nation ;)

Edit:

Just in case you thought the 7 Whopper was a photoshop job.... :D

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

btw > Ive just posted a guide on how to perform a full install off an upgrade disc over at techforum. Come visit us, save 80 bucks :D

mtfbwya

Well it seems that 7 is getting favorable reviews which means that people will actually be using it. Guess I better get on the bandwagon so when my clients call me for tech support I know how to work the d@mned thing. Just ordered my copy, but I'm thinking I'll do a dual install with XP. I'm not ready to let go yet. ;)

Been using Windows 7 since the beta, it's been working fine since they fixed the few minor bugs. So far it's ran KotOR 2, Fallout 3, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Prototype, Half Life 2, Deus Ex 2, Bioshock and Team Fortress 2 with no problems at all :)

Not to mention - Windows Update actually works, where on Vista it died around the start of '08 for me :lol:

Had no problems; and not one Blue screen - Microsoft have actually managed to develop something that I can't take the p*** out of :p

And why is that? I've been using Vista 64-bit for several months now. It's 32-bit compatibility layer is awesome. I'd be willing to bet that Windows 7 64-bit's is just as good, since it's basically a product-improved version of Vista.

I'll find out for myself in a few days when I finally get around to installing it.

64-bit Vista was a lot less stable, a lot more bugs were "found" and it was impossible to run a lot of games .

Eh? You sure your not mistaking XP 64 bit with Vista? I do know that XP 64 did have issues with some programmes, but one of the main bonuses with Vista is that it fixed that issue.

Indeed, TBH, I really don't understand the logic in getting 32 bit Vista, if your going to get a 32bit OS then you'd be best of sticking with XP...

64-bit Vista was a lot less stable, a lot more bugs were "found" and it was impossible to run a lot of games .

You couldn't be more wrong. :eek:

Indeed, TBH, I really don't understand the logic in getting 32 bit Vista, if your going to get a 32bit OS then you'd be best of sticking with XP...

Quite right. Also, more people using 64-bit = more 64-bit applications made.

Archived