Home

Machinarium

purple_tentacle_

Samuel Dravis and I both prepurchased it, and we've found it well worth the price. It's not especially long, but it definitely is beautiful, in every single frame. And I'd also daresay that it beats Grim Fandango when it comes to winning you over with charm. The soundtrack is also excellent and it's a fun experience if you don't mind spending a bit much for a game that's otherwise 5-6 hours (assuming you have normal intelligence). I think that a fully-informed speed run for the game can be done within an hour or two, at max.

Samuel Dravis and I both prepurchased it, and we've found it well worth the price. It's not especially long, but it definitely is beautiful, in every single frame. And I'd also daresay that it beats Grim Fandango when it comes to winning you over with charm. The soundtrack is also excellent and it's a fun experience if you don't mind spending a bit much for a game that's otherwise 5-6 hours (assuming you have normal intelligence). I think that a fully-informed speed run for the game can be done within an hour or two, at max.

Ya I am going to buy it as soon as I get the time to play it. WARNING: Sabretooth is right dont play the demo it will win you over with charm! Somthing about it makes me glued to the thing!

Yeah I also preordered it. Due to Amanitas earlier samorost games being so overwhelmingly awesome. Have to say they did it again : ]

The design is everything. It's that kind of a world that you just wanna crawl into and build yourself a house in. Also the puzzles are mostly made up of "real", "puzzle-puzzles". Not the conventional point&click-type of puzzles. Which was nice. That also adds to the mystique of the world, I think.

Allthough, saying that it surpasses Grim Fandango, to me, is... just.. just wrong.

I missed the lack of dramaturgical model and story a lot in this game. You could have done soooo much with this amazing world and actually created a great epic story of it. But instead the game consisted mostly of looking at the screen going "this is so cool" all the time. Which is nice ofcourse, but even the ending of the game was totally blunt and gave no reward to the player at all. Not even a cutscene.

It's an amazing game, but it's just not an adventure, you know.

Definitely a great game. The thing that amazes me the most is that it's all done completely in Flash. I mean, I knew Flash is used for a lot of things, but a full-sized commercial video game? Just freakin' awesome!

Oh, and Sabre, nothing beats Grim Fandango. :p

Yeah I also preordered it. Due to Amanitas earlier samorost games being so overwhelmingly awesome. Have to say they did it again : ]

The design is everything. It's that kind of a world that you just wanna crawl into and build yourself a house in. Also the puzzles are mostly made up of "real", "puzzle-puzzles". Not the conventional point&click-type of puzzles. Which was nice. That also adds to the mystique of the world, I think.

Allthough, saying that it surpasses Grim Fandango, to me, is... just.. just wrong.

I missed the lack of dramaturgical model and story a lot in this game. You could have done soooo much with this amazing world and actually created a great epic story of it. But instead the game consisted mostly of looking at the screen going "this is so cool" all the time. Which is nice ofcourse, but even the ending of the game was totally blunt and gave no reward to the player at all. Not even a cutscene.

It's an amazing game, but it's just not an adventure, you know.

Ya it a real well made game but It needs a story line. I have no idea if there even is a story. But its still good!

Definitely a great game. The thing that amazes me the most is that it's all done completely in Flash. I mean, I knew Flash is used for a lot of things, but a full-sized commercial video game? Just freakin' awesome!

Ya thats crazy a full sized commerical game all in flash! It surprised me when I played the demo!

Machinarium does have a plot, it's just been either minimal or integrated enough into the environment that it's been somewhat eschewed (In a good way, however). ;)

The thought-bubble sequences are the best form of storytelling, however. Reminds me a lot like The Neverhood, with greater emphasis on comic relief via something universally understandable rather than pop culture references; that was the most bothersome point of most LA games, in the way that in-jokes and other references diminishes the overall humor.

I completely agree, the subtlety of the storytelling integrates perfectly with this world of robots, and is one of the things that makes this game great. Also, the quality of animation is another factor that contributes enormously in letting you know of what the characters are feeling or thinking.

I think I might be near the end of this now, but I'm having a great time with it. I do have a couple of complaints:

1) I think there's an over-reliance on the sort of logic puzzles like box-sliding or get the right things into the right hole style puzzles rather than inventory and environment puzzles. They're pretty well integrated but even then they sometimes stick out.

2) The flash-ness of it does rear its head sometimes. For example I'd like to be able to right click to put an object into my inventory rather than dragging to the top of the screen every time (which doesn't register for some reason, sometimes).

3) And the animations are on the whole slow and often unskippable, which is frustrating if you do the wrong thing by accident. I wish they could have found a way to animate a faster walk for him when compressed or stretched, too.

On the other hand

1) it looks and sounds beautiful and a wonderful piece of world-crafting in which a lot of information about the world is implied rather than handed over word for word.

2) Despite my problems with there not being enough inventory/environment puzzles, ones that were there are generally brilliantly inventive.

3) And there's always the puzzle where you do a quiz...

What, what did I say? I said that it was a more charming game than Grim Fandango, is that so wrong? If it is, then I declare you all LA fanboys with no hearts. :indif:

Machinarium does have a plot, it's just been either minimal or integrated enough into the environment that it's been somewhat eschewed (In a good way, however). ;)

Yes it does have A plot. But the plot is not even half as good as the visual design. I enjoyed the little story that were to be had, but what about the escalating drama? What about the epic ending? The problem I had was that there never was anything to anticipate from the story.

A couple of times I thought "what is going to happen to this character?", "what is the secret behind this mechanical city?".

But in the end, nothing really dramatical happened.

I'm not going to spoil anything, but I think the one's who played the game to an end, recognizes what I'm talking about?

Yes it does have A plot. But the plot is not even half as good as the visual design. I enjoyed the little story that were to be had, but what about the escalating drama? What about the epic ending?
You expect too much; from the start, anyone could have deduced that Machinarium was going to be like any light-hearted cartoon with a heaping helping of avant-garde on side, to boot. If you want to see something as "epic" along the likes of Monkey Island (Which has the seriousness of a smiling puppy, if I might add), then you're in the wrong place...
A couple of times I thought "what is going to happen to this character?", "what is the secret behind this mechanical city?".

But in the end, nothing really dramatical happened.

Well, that would be your problem of expecting something normuhl, and being disappointed with the opposite. ;P

It has to have SOMETHING extra to avoid becoming yet another dreary interactive Flash animation... How many of these things will there be? Yes, they're beautiful, but no, they're not fun. If it doesn't do anything interesting in terms of writing then I can live without it.

The quality of the writing lies in how the lives and personalities of the robots are presented. It feels very much like a real, consistent and fascinating city.

It is a lot of fun, this is no wannabe-game-designer show, this game is very clever on so many levels. It could certainly not be your thing, but dismissing it as a flash animation is just dead wrong.

It is very different from all the classic adventure games from the 90s and it absolutely feels like what a 21st century adventure game should be like. It is not perfect but lack of story or good writing is not one of its problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I´ve played it. It´s nice and a different one... It´s better than I thought.

Some riddles were difficult but makeable!

And after Culpa Innata my second favorite background music. I´ve the box-version with the original soundtrack. Don´t know how it is in other countries box-version?

This year´s adventure game of the year joice going to be difficult. Machinarium is extraordinary, The Lost Crown (my favorite this year) was scary (good atmosphere ) and I mustn´t mention The Whispered World and The Book of Unwritten Tales.

Let´s see what brings Runaway 3, 15 Days, Haunted and Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island. :)

This year´s adventure game of the year joice going to be difficult. Machinarium is extraordinary, The Lost Crown (my favorite this year) was scary (good atmosphere ) and I mustn´t mention The Whispered World and The Book of Unwritten Tales.)

I'm PINING for "The Book of Unwritten Tales", but I've been waiting patiently for an english talkie. Since that obviously isn't going to happen, has anyone played it with english subs? If so, was it a nail in your soul or could you live with it? : )

(oh and yes, Machinarium comes with soundtrack in other countries aswell, and I agree, it has an amazing soundtrack. Tomas Dvorak <3)

Archived