Home

Whos better, Carth or Atton?

darthnihl

Atton or Carth  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Atton or Carth

Ah, GTA. Tatooine would flood if we ever agreed on something :wink:

Though I remember one quote on KFM regarding the "hawt Jedi arse"

"Yes, Atton and Carth want to get into a nice set of Jedi pants. The difference is that Carth would like to marry the Jedi in said pants."

Where I actually decided Onasi was a nice guy? The banters with Mission. Yeah, those two started off on the wrong note. The second banter where he was man enough to apologize to the kid and admit he needed her help helped warm up my opinion. By contrast, how Atton treated the Handmaiden and/or Disciple and T3-M4 really put me off.

Playing through both games now.

Well, tatooine would, but where's all the water? :xp:

From a guy's perspective:

As a male exile his harshness towards others comes across more as unspoken loyalty.

Well Atton is only kind of creepy, playing as a fem exile. But so was it kind of creepy from disciple and you could see his moves a mile away. All in relative senses.

As either male or female exile, Atton won't admit it but there is a lot more care and loyalty under the surface. Plus to go from jedi killer to remorseful and even "atoning" about it says a lot as well.

As far as him being harsh

1)towards Handmaiden... Remember the saying "bros before hoes"? He's looking out for your male exile and it isn't exactly without good reason because if you'll recall she *was* first to confront you on Telos' polar academy AND she *did* sneak aboard. Suppose it's also a tad personal/professional, she works for the republic, he doesn't care too much for the republic.

2) As far as his treatment towards Disciple...well, it's a cultural and male competitive thing. Disciple is like a royal gentleman hopelessly doomed to be stepped on and "just friends" in a more American like society--poor chap. Granted, Atton is being like a typical American guy--a jerk. But it's not all jealousy, it's competition too. Perhaps mingled with dislike for the republic which disciple serves.

EDIT: Well, Mira did catch him eavesdropping, and outlined his flaws which *do* come standard on a regular guy. :D

Far as Carth... whiny in either case but openly and undeniably loyal--you have to be the one to betray him. He does eventually have a legit reason for his issues.

As a male character, I wouldn't exactly call him bro but I suppose like a good neighbor. Maybe like family given enough time and knowledge of him.

As a female character...Carth's approach isn't the way I'd go about hitting on fem revan if I were in his spot. However, the writer *did* at least get the confidence part down (if nothing else). Confidence works for any guy's game. Period.

He never does let you go wrong though his methods may lack firmness and resolve at times. His main concerns are the republic and isn't sure about the mandalorian. Canderous, bah, he's like an old biker dude and probably has women-squeezes everywhere; a bit of native American Warrior IMO (speaking as part Native American myself). Anyways, I always do at least try to have it so Carth deals the killing blow to Saul.

Look, Allronix, your epic fanfic is coming true! :xp:

*snerk* Actually, if I were to kill off Rand? Obsidian's cut content where Atton sacrificed himself against Sion was gorgeous. Will not argue it.

Dark Side Atton? I'd hand the job to Mical, and just to add a little insult, have Mikey shoot the guy.

"Yeah, I knew what you were. I know your real name, your body count, your rather dubious service record, and I knew them about twenty minutes after meeting you. Say what you like about Jedi, but do not cross Republic Intelligence."

I thought I had posted in this thread (or maybe a similar one?) I like Carth but I always thought he was too emotional and I rather enjoyed Atton's laid back attitude. If it were real life I don't think I could sit in the cockpit with Carth for two minutes and listen to him rant on about getting his revenge or lecture me on being a useless Jedi or a Sith (all of that negative energy would make me want to plant my lightsaber into his cranium), I would much rather play pazzak with Atton :)

I believe that both Atton and Carth are great characters. Carth's not whiny one bit, in fact, he is honest and loyal, especially to female Revan. As for Atton, he's cool and all, but if I were to hang out with him, he might assassinate me...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I think both characters strike an interesting parallel. Carth Onasi is a decorated Republic war hero, and Atton Rand... well...

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
he used to be a Jedi killer.

Both Carth and Atton are some the first party members in KOTOR and TSL, respectively, so they both stand as veterans, in terms of being your character's companion. Both have pasts they'd rather not speak of, adding elements of mystery to their character - this compelled me to converse with them, in order to discover the truth.

Carth is a soldier, and Atton is a scoundrel, and though they both use blasters, they have different talents.

Which one is better?

Neither; they are both unique and excellent characters - I couldn't choose one over the other.

• 1 month later...

Atton definitely. I respect carth and his loyalties, but I prefer to serve something while ALIVE, not dead. Meaning, if I was given the opportunity to be fully committed to something, I would do it. However, of it put my life in danger, then I wouldn't follow it, unlike carth. I'm not willing to die for ANYTHING other than family. Atton, when he realizes he's in danger, he knows how and when to leave. I like that I a person. Plus, atton is a (lost) jedi, and carth is not. I like Jedi better than normal people. Plus, atton is not whiny unless he's yelling at kreia.

For me this is kind of a simple question...

Throughout Kotor, you get Carth questioning your loyalty and how he doesn't trust you at all. While personally it is fun grilling him and making fun of him, his character is just not that well defined. It's kind of hard to trust a guy who doesn't trust you.

On the other hand, you have Atton whom you don't know anything about at first, is pretty handy in sticky situations and is really great at certain moments. Especially when you find out about his past, that's where his character takes off.

So IMO, Atton is better

Neither.

HK-47 for life.

It's the logical choice, gentlemen. :spin:

However, I'd probably be for Carth. His situation is understandable. Besides, wouldn't you be rather pissed if your mentor betrayed and killed you family and then bombed your homeworld? (Think off them, per se, razing Earth.)

Of course, he whines, but you eventually gain his trust, so...

• 3 months later...

As a companion, Carth, he's the typical loyal guy who will do anything for his friend.

For interesting dialogue, Atton without question. Atton's dialogue in KOTOR 2 by far surpasses anything Carth ever says to you. The part where Atton explains in detail how to kill a Jedi was just creepy, great writing right there.

Archived