Home

I need a tearjerker of an adventure game...

urluckyday

Hey guys,

I've been playing a lot of PC games lately, and you know. I really need to find a new adventure game that will actually get me connected enough to the characters that I may get all teary-eyed by the end. I'm a normal guy, but you know, it's been so long since I've actually played a game that gets me so connected to the characters that I'm more sad that the story is done rather than just happy/relieved. I've basically played all of the Lucasarts classic adventures, and Grim Fandango made me cry when it ended (I must sound so goofy). I haven't found any game that really gets me that attached to the characters like the LA classics. I've thought about trying out "The Last Express" or something like that, but I don't know if I wanna shell out the money for it without knowing that I will have the chance of loving the characters like I did in Grim Fandango.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what game(s) I can play that have amazing character development and attachment that a game like Fandango did?

~urluckyday

Grim Fandango made me cry when it ended (I must sound so goofy).

Not at all, I cried at the end too.

As for suggestions, The Longest Journey is a game that a lot of people really get into (although personally I hated the game from start to finish) so you might want to try that one out. I think it's pretty cheap these days too, I picked it up for £3 or something, so it's worth a punt.

You're no match for me guys. I cried when playing Grim almost all the time. ;)

The Longest Journey is a game that a lot of people really get into (although personally I hated the game from start to finish)

Ditto. In your place I would look for something better, urluckyday.

So to my own recommendations...

If you want some real tearjerkers (emotional exploitation and all) then I'd say to try Sanitarium and Blackstone Chronicles. These are horror stories where the pure and innocent have all the worst things happen to them. I'm not saying I find those games particularly good though, just that they are real tearjerkers.

As for some true storytelling greatness with characters you won't forget, you shouldn't look anywhere else but the three Gabriel Knight games. Especially the second one (which has FMV cutscenes) is a very powerful experience.

Another one to try would be Black Dahlia - a noir thriller set during World War II with some mystical pagan rituals as a bonus. Excellent production values and a very moving story. It's also a very long game with incredibly difficult puzzles.

There are many more titles I could drop, but these games are a good place to start.

Oh, and The Last Express while an excellent game with very well realized characters is more of an Indiana Jones like exciting adventure than am emotionally moving story.

Alright coolio. Thanks for the suggestions (if you have anymore, please post them!). Is the Last Express available on like steam or anything, or do I have to do ebay/amazon for it?

The same with the other games, are they available for purchase and download on any of the major clients or is it basically buying em used is the only way to do it?

I'm actually looking through gametap right now...they've got some great stuff, and it doesnt seem like a terrible price for it. 10 bucks a month and cheaper if you pay for the year...that's not too bad considering how many games they have on there.

Anyone currently a subscriber to it?

Can you easily unsubscribe? Because 10 bucks for a copy of The Last Express is a very good price. Is there something stopping you from subscribing for one month, downloading everything you want off it, and then unsubscribing?

Also, on the topic, Deus Ex and Baldurs Gate II should be considered. Both are RPGs rather than adventure games, but that's only a difference in gameplay, and not a large one at that; the focus on characters and storyline, and the inclusion of puzzles, plus the high involved and emotional effect on most players, means that you should look into those games if you haven't already.

I think you have to run the GameTap client to play games from there, so you have to be a current subscriber to play. So basically if you only want to subscribe for a month you'd have to beat the game within a month. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Archived