Home

Companions

darthfergie

The latest developer diary got me thinking.

But the path of uncompromising virtue is a hard road. Take the whole “Jedi must avoid emotional attachments” thing. Love, romance – the Council has decreed these feelings must be denied. Yet after the heat of battle, is it so wrong to seek comfort in the arms of another? Is it better to live a life of solitude and loneliness, or to admit your true feelings and keep your secret affair hidden from those who would pass unfair judgment?

These are the kinds of questions you will face when you play the Jedi Knight. The galaxy needs a savior. The light side needs a champion. What kind will you be?

I know earlier they'd talked about companions in the game helping you out. But I'd only really thought of it from the Han and Chewbacca standpoint. But this bit of text comes in with a different possibility. Bioware is including the Han and Leia companion type as well.

Just sit back and think about that for a moment. Romance in an MMO and not with another player, but an actual romance story that involves you in an MMO. The roleplayers are going to eat this up for sure. This allows another layer of immersion that I really hadn't thought about.

:raise:

It'd be odd to meet someone else's wife, considering they're not real but still follow him around like they are, and act like they are.

I wanna get a few companions, start a spacer group...

I hope when you marry them, they improve on the kissing scene from KoTOR 1, which was really bad in my opinion, and required a mod to fix it.

Have recently been playing Dragon Age...compared to Mass Effect it's ANOTHER huge step forward. And seeing this game is still in the making, it could turn out to be rather excellent!

I do hope they can turn away from their Bioware traditions though. I get a feeling some of the Dragon Age characters are recycled Kotor and Mass Effect characters.

Sarcastic 'Alien' : HK, Wrexx, Shale

The 'B*tch': Kreia, Subject Zero, Morrigan

Redeemed Emo: Carth, Kaiden, Allistair

The funny fool: Atton, (multiple ME), Allistair, Zevron

The Assassin: Atton, Wrexx, Zevron

It get's quite tiresome.

Why not something....different?

I do hope they can turn away from their Bioware traditions though. I get a feeling some of the Dragon Age characters are recycled Kotor and Mass Effect characters.

Sarcastic 'Alien' : HK, Wrexx, Shale

The 'B*tch': Subject Zero, Morrigan

Redeemed Emo: Carth, Kaiden, Allistair

The funny fool: (multiple ME), Allistair, Zevron

The Assassin: Wrexx, Zevron

It get's quite tiresome.

The Mandalorians were right to respect you in the field of battle. Add Canderous to "The Assassin", and change that category to "The Spartan"; create a category called "Lawful Neophyte" and include Bastila and Ashley in thereof; Change "Redeemed Emo" to "Lawful Soldier"; remove the K2 characters, since they aren't of BioWare's "pedigree".

You see, if you've played one BioWare game, then you've essentially played them all, at least plot and narrative wise, that is. Behold:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
picture.php?albumid=375&pictureid=4937
Why not something....different?
Doing something different doesn't sell, unfortunately.

To be fair to their creators however, their stories are tried and true "adventure" stories. You could line up Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, and any number of heroic stories from the past upon that same chart. It's not that Bioware or Obsidian are unoriginal, it's just that fantasy sci-fi epic adventures are unoriginal.

But hey, that's what people buy.

Actually Lord of the rings fits the "Typical Bioware Story" pretty well...

So does King Arthur.

So does Star Wars.

Come to think of it, I'm having a hard time finding a sci-fi/Fantasy story that doesn't fit most if not all of the elements presented.

If you count the last location you must head to, most have 5 locations.. or 5 Acts if it were a play.. With that in mind, even Hamlet fits(save humble beginnings)...

Jae, we know you love Jolee, but if they put him in the game it wouldn't be very funny because he'd be long dead. Have you ever tried to tell a joke while you were dead? It's not easy.

It's not the telling that's so difficult. Its the audience that never gets the joke. "BRAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIINNNSSSS" See comic genius.

I think it might be an option but not very prominent and you have to pull teeth to find.

:raise:

I wanna get a few companions, start a spacer group...

I hope when you marry them, they improve on the kissing scene from KoTOR 1, which was really bad in my opinion, and required a mod to fix it.

Which STILL isn't much to behold.

Archived