Home

Even NASA says the world ain't ending in 2012

Lord of Hunger

Actually the Mayan Calendar thing is also a bit of controversy. I always thought the calendar would end THIS year. Only in 1999 did I hear it was 2012 with all the Y2K bull**** going on.

So if the 2012 thing was originally 2009, to hell with it. Why does it end around now? Probably the people got tired of figuring out date sets and then chizzling it into stones, or they ran out of stone area.

CREDIT:

For a more satirical, err, rant on this subject, visit Aron Ching's youtube channel (For Fun Producitons 808 or something) for his "12 F--- you's of the year 2012".

So, honestly, I think it's a bunch of crap. Scientists found it out? Good. That only supports my position more. Yeah I know, the earth cycle is changing, climate is going weird. Hell, that "circle of fire" thing with tectonic plates and volcanic activity is stirring up. I seriously doubt that the eruptions from it will wipe out the human race.

Sorry if I sound snappy. Just...some people are so hung up on doomsday it's pathetic...Just...Makes me want to:

picture.php?albumid=357&pictureid=4016

The Myan calendar simply restarts when it "ends." And usually, the changing of cycles means a major shift socially, economically, environmentally, etc. has happened. The current myan calendar isn't a cyclical calendar but just linear. However, there was a linear calendar before the current one and there will be one after. The calendar has ended before and it has only signaled a new era...not the end of time.

I hate people making the assumption that everything they hear and especially see on that stupid "2012" movie trailer is fact and whatnot...

People (as usual) really need to read up on facts before they worry about stuff like that.

People have predicted the end of time since the dawn of thinking men...and this is no different.

It's a fictional work that is being made for the sole benefit of making money off of these unprovable theories and the pointless hysteria that they cause. Not to sound mean or insulting, but do you honestly think it's a documentary or even remotely based on fact?

No. It's a film from the same people who made The Day After Tomorrow, who seem to be into the end of the world disaster movies. I know the film itself is fiction but the myth that it's based on, it's a scary thought that we could be approaching armageddon. That this is all predetermined and there is a destined date for doomsday. I'm not sure about Mayan beliefs but there may not even be the comfort of paradise like Jesus returning to judge as potrayed in Christian religion. So when there is evidence to suggest that this is not going to happen, it's comforting.

No. It's a film from the same people who made The Day After Tomorrow, who seem to be into the end of the world disaster movies. I know the film itself is fiction but the myth that it's based on, it's a scary thought that we could be approaching armageddon. That this is all predetermined and there is a destined date for doomsday. I'm not sure about Mayan beliefs but there may not even be the comfort of paradise like Jesus returning to judge as potrayed in Christian religion. So when there is evidence to suggest that this is not going to happen, it's comforting.

It should be most comforting to know that like I said...every generation thinks that it's the last...from the beginning of time. There have been dates and numbers thrown around by apocalyptic predictions forever...

Whether or not you believe in any of the religions that "say" that the end of the world will happen should have no bearing on how worried you are.

Just an off-note:

If you're Christian (I am), I think it's important to point out the context of the book of Revelations (The apocalyptic book). Just remember what time it was written in and who wrote it. A Christian under Nero in Rome who hated Christians and hunted them. I personally believe that Revelations is just a book of metaphors and to give hope to other Christians and that time. That's why it's still such a controversial book in the Bible today.

The biggest problem with the 2012 doomsday hype, that stirs up controversy amongest us, is the fact the words: "The World is gonna end" can cause an uproar with people and that is what starts the arguments. That's a qoute or a thought that we need get away from, I don't see this planet blowing up, spliting apart, or a collision with another planet now are in the near future.

The fact is, this planet has always been here and will probably be here for many thousands of years to come. The humans and other animals living on this planet today is undeniable proof of that. Now the real big question should be, will we be here in the near future and beyond that or will we go the way of the dinosaur. The earth has always had catastrophic changes in the past, even at time's when humans lived here, but humans pulled through those globel disasters somehow - someway.

Anything can happen at anytime either today, tomorrow, or fifty years from now. A large meteor (maybe one Nasa hadn't accounted for or detected yet) could enter our atmosphere, crash into any sea, and cause a massive Tsunami that would wash away some cities from the coastline tomorrow. It could also upon impact, cause some earthquakes here and there destroying other cities around the globe; depending on it's size. It might even activate some volcanoes through a chain reaction, because of it's size and how hard the impact was.

Yet, we cannot go by past predictions pointing to a certain date, month, or year as the final end for us, such as Dec. 21st, 2012, just because a certain calendar says so no matter how accurate it is. It's to much of a leap of faith on our part from a scientific point of view. Even though there are some ongoing climate changes happening now, a few Tsunami's recently and more earthquakes than usual, it doesn't mean that it's building up to something major happening in 2012. These things have happened in the past and will happen in the future on this planet again and again.

But anyone denying the fact that a major catastrophic event couldn't happen again in the future from this moment on, just because us humans are here or whatever the reason...well that takes alot of faith or some serious self denial. So it's not a question of will it happen, but when. There are always possibilties, it happen to the dinosaurs and it can happen again in our time as well.

But anyone denying the fact that a major catastrophic event couldn't happen again in the future from this moment on, just because us humans are here or whatever the reason...well that takes alot of faith or some serious self denial. So it's not a question of will it happen, but when. There are always possibilties, it happen to the dinosaurs and it can happen again in our time as well.

Correct. Chaos theory at its finest. ANYTHING can happen at ANY time. But I don't think anyone possesses the gift to tell the future even ancient Myans.

Correct. Chaos theory at its finest. ANYTHING can happen at ANY time. But I don't think anyone possesses the gift to tell the future even ancient Myans.

I agree. But even if they were able to predict some catastrophic event to likely happen in our lifetime, even if they are in a high percentage of close to being right, it doesn't mean it would happen. For the simple fact that it's not a 100% guarantee, because our future is not a one way road. Our fate and future could go in any direction.

For example: Nobody can really say a 100% that I'm going to drive all the way to work tomorrow even if I usually do so all the time, and just because I have in the past so many times before. I may get halfway there and the vehicle I'm in breaks down. Or I get there a quarter of the way and I have an accident.

The Mayans based their predictions on disastrous events that have happen in the past, 4 times according to their writings, so they figured that it would most likely happen again by the end of this 5th cycle; or I should say their 5th cycle as they measured time through astrological interpretation.

The future (our future) is nothing more than chance, even if it was written in stone by the Mayans. And chance can be 50/50 anytime.

It should be most comforting to know that like I said...every generation thinks that it's the last...from the beginning of time. There have been dates and numbers thrown around by apocalyptic predictions forever...

Whether or not you believe in any of the religions that "say" that the end of the world will happen should have no bearing on how worried you are.

I wouldn't say that every generation believes itself to be the last, but there are millennial hotspots, so to speak, where a significant portion of the population of (western) society can see an end: around the year 1000, the French Revolution, and the Cold War are the ones that spring to mind.

I wouldn't say that every generation believes itself to be the last, but there are millennial hotspots, so to speak, where a significant portion of the population of (western) society can see an end: around the year 1000, the French Revolution, and the Cold War are the ones that spring to mind.

Right by me saying "every generation" I meant there are people in every generation that think they're the last ones...

Archived