Home

Happy Bday USMC

Totenkopf

Well, "providing" (not proving) would include "invented ways". Not really sure what your grammar complaint is as it's not grammatically unsound. Really saber, you're just reaching (but not connecting...)

Silence, I was groggy and have the full right to sound physically and morally unfit for forum posting!

Wasn't their birthday yesterday? And today is Veterans Day? Thought I heard that. Either way, I salute you all...thanks for all that you do and sacrifice to keep us safe.

When I originally posted it there was about 45 minutes left on the 10th. I think the clock here wasn't reset for DST.

@ thread: Happy belated! :wave:

Silence, I was groggy and have the full right to sound physically and morally unfit for forum posting!

Groggy eh? This 'll wake you up! Turn up the volume REALLY LOUD and stick your head in the speaker:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Yes indeed, Happy Birthday to the wonderful glorious USMC!

523776474_b2fce67cbc.jpg
Sorry, but I don't get the "Oorah!!!" with regard to the above poster:

Uh... it seems my ancestors are in the "enemies" category (Mohawks, French Canadians and Loyalists... ) :xp:

Anyway regardless of the above ( we can't always go back in the past otherwise we would still be arguing about an ancestor clubbing the donkey of someone else's ancestor... uh isn't it what we are doing? :headbump ), how can anyone be proud of the death of others? It makes me feel sick.

If I ever were to join the military I would do so solely in order to save lives and for humanity's sake in general, not to further someone's political agenda (like most wars) or to mark a territory (like a dog does but more violently). I guess that's why I will never enroll by signing a blank check on my will and life to the government regardless of the circumstances (not because I'm afraid to die: we'll all end there at some point...and I had a gun pointed at my head a few times already in civil war context and other occasions since I was 8 ) and why my family - on both sides - would most certainly disown me if I did (save exceptions listed above).

Since the dawn of humanity, while not all, most military actions are nothing to be proud of IMHO. Humanity has proven capable of the best including the best of the worst...

The "oorah" part, like "Semper Fi", is simply an expression associated w/the USMC. I understand your reticense about the military in general, but it is a necessary evil b/c people are just generally miserable bastards that often need to be kept in line or defended from those that need to be kept in line. I don't think most people go into the service just to further someone else's agenda, at least not by choice. As far as the use of military force goes, it should be a last resort, but it should be used w/the conviction to win if it comes down to it in the end. Btw, which civil wars do you refer to?

how can anyone be proud of the death of others? It makes me feel sick.

Um... didn't you post a link to the Darwin Awards page? I think so... Sooooo you make yourself sick?

Some would consider what the marines do improving the gene pool... A little heavy on the chlorine perhaps, but no worse than the many whom the Marines have fought against.

Marines are brave men who not only kill, but also save lives. Don't forget that Marines were also there to help out with the victims of Katrina. They were also there for the victims of the Tsunami. They build schools, free the oppressed, and get insulted for doing it.

Newsflash: all wars are fueled by political agenda, in one way or another.

It is insanely naive to believe you're "defending humanity" or whatever by fighting in X war.

Newsflash: Still doesn't negate the point that most people don't join the service (here anyway, maybe they do where you come from) to fuel someone else's personal agenda(s). No one here has said that politics and war are inseperable. You might be fighting for self-defense, to protect others or just to protect access to the raw materials that allow your civilization to function/thrive.....or a host of other reasons. Frankly, that's all matter for a seperate thread.

Uh... it seems my ancestors are in the "enemies" category (Mohawks, French Canadians and Loyalists... )

Mine were too at some point or another (Brits, Germans, etc...). ;)

Archived