Home

Another idea (hope this isnt taken)

Ghost

Okay, yeah i come up with ideas for mods all the time, that is because i am a modder, not so much for kotor, but for EAW. I have had some experience in modding kotor, so here goes. :eek: Kotor has had limited capabilities, as k2 had much feat, power, and level improvements as well as special abilities. So, why not convert the levels, powers, feats, and abilities to k1. I dont think it is porting because they are basically they are the same if you strip them down and stuff. Also, maybe the GUI could be integrated, because that would greatly improve the system, plus gamers would have more things to earn. And your probably wondering why i cant do it, well right now i am taking a break from modding, and just enjoying KOTOR and K2. If this cannot be done, indulge me. And this time i posted it in the right forum.:thmbup1::lol:

As of now making new levels for K1 is impossible; it's hard coded into the game and would require people who actually made the games to break it.

Adding new powers and feats - this is doable though difficult because we don't have all of the animations and visual effects from K2.

As far as the GUI, you can completely reskin it as well as change where all of the buttons and icons are located.

Most of this can be done though I simply recommend that you learn how to do it and make it yourself. In order to get others to help around here (not in all cases) on a major project like this requires you to be somebody in the forums. Don't mean to burst your bubble, just giving you the honest truth.

For example...

When I first started to mod KOTOR I wanted to create a whole TC which would become the 3rd KOTOR game. Obviously because I didn't have the skills and reputation necessary I couldn't gather a team or convince somebody to start working on it.

Now if I were SilverEdge (I'm thinking of the author of the BOS and SR) it would be must more easier to gather the people necessary in order to construct the new TC.

I'm just saying for Johnathon-Mk II to go through with this would simply require him to spend about 6 months figuring everything out and getting use it and then gather other in order to build this mod.

I think it would be an awesome idea to do, but like I said earlier Johnathon, I don't mean to sound critical; I simply encourage you to mod because in order to get what you want, generally you have to do it yourself.

So, why not convert the levels, powers, feats, and abilities to k1. I dont think it is porting because they are basically they are the same if you strip them down and stuff.

Firstly what do you mean "convert" if you mean make from scratch based on things in K2 then that is fine. However if you are discussing taking assets from K2 and putting them in K1, aside from being illegal it is also against Forum Rules. I would really like to suggest to you, yet again to read the forum rules. In this case here are the specific Holowan Rules; Click Me, specifically this;

7. Mods containing assets (models, textures, sounds, etc.) ported from another game are prohibited

It is against Lucasarts policy to port assets from one game to another. Holowan Laboratories does not condone porting of this nature, and moderators will close or delete any thread or posts discussing such mods, even if it is for your own personal use. The exception to this is if the asset in question is present in both KOTOR and TSL. Modders may create from scratch mods that resemble assets from another game.

For example...

When I first started to mod KOTOR I wanted to create a whole TC which would become the 3rd KOTOR game. Obviously because I didn't have the skills and reputation necessary I couldn't gather a team or convince somebody to start working on it.

Fair enough.

For me personaly I do expect people to have a bit of modding knowledge themselfs first. As often larger projects rest on a very few shoulders.

Or end up depending on 2 to 3 people to keep it going.

Perhaps that sounds unfair. But, it's just not fun if you team up and it ends with only you doing a fair bit of work.

While the others don't really deliver. Now modding is of course a hobby and something most do in their precious free time. Sadlly real life often crashes in and sucks up that time.

Though, on the other hand this is the request thread. And this fully relies on good will of modders around Holowan. Plus, like you pointed out these ideas are bigger undertaking then just a reskin.

Anyway, I've had to work my way in to ;)

I just got lucky 3D is very visual so people can see what I do.

Still doesn't stop you from becomming a veteran modder, look at GloveMaster for example. He got pretty good in scripting.

That ain't visual, you can't really show code, well you can, but it look tad bit more boring than a screenshot from in the game.

Guess your right HarIII, I just felt this wasn't the real place to get into this sort of discusion. :lol:

J7, just so you know, i never meant it being scrapped from K2 and put into kotor, i simply meant that the same idea could be used. That does not mean it would have to be taken from K2, but created and have different graphics. That does not mean that it would be the exact same powers, maybe some different ones. If i am not clear, just tell me. I have read the rules. I dont mean to be offensive if i am. But yes, i may admit i was unclear about that, and it seemed that i meant porting.

J7, just so you know, i never meant it being scrapped from K2 and put into kotor, i simply meant that the same idea could be used. That does not mean it would have to be taken from K2, but created and have different graphics. That does not mean that it would be the exact same powers, maybe some different ones. If i am not clear, just tell me. I have read the rules. I dont mean to be offensive if i am. But yes, i may admit i was unclear about that, and it seemed that i meant porting.

That's cool - I wasn't sure from your wording - if I was sure I would have locked the thread ;) I was waiting for a confirmation on that point, you have my apologies if my post came across too strongly, your new so I try to give leeway because of that. The rule I stated, should of clarified the point, that it's fine to make from scratch things based on K2 (or the other way round).

Archived