Home

President Obama Issues His First Pardon

JediAthos

To a 45lb Turkey named Courage :)

WASHINGTON – After 10 months in office, President Barack Obama granted his first pardon Wednesday to "Courage," a 45-pound turkey spared from the Thanksgiving table.

Accompanied by daughters Sasha and Malia, Obama stood under the North Portico of the White House to honor a holiday tradition that dates to 1947 — receiving a bird from the National Turkey Federation.

"I'm told Presidents Eisenhower and Johnson actually ate their turkeys," Obama said. "You can't fault them for that; that's a good-looking bird."

President George H.W. Bush was the first to officially pardon a turkey.

Obama joked about wanting to forgo the tradition and eat "Courage."

"Thanks to the interventions of Malia and Sasha — because I was planning to eat this sucker — 'Courage' will also be spared this terrible and delicious fate," he said.

(From AP article on Yahoo! News http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091125/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_turkey_pardon)

Happy Early Thanksgiving to those folks here in the States :)

"I'm told Presidents Eisenhower and Johnson actually ate their turkeys," Obama said. "You can't fault them for that; that's a good-looking bird."

"Thanks to the interventions of Malia and Sasha — because I was planning to eat this sucker — 'Courage' will also be spared this terrible and delicious fate," he said.

I think this my favorite Obama Quote. Happy early Thanksgiving!

That's OK, I bought 2 20-lb turkeys to make up for Courage. One's in the freezer, one's getting cooked up tomorrow. We went to my Dad's house for Thanksgiving dinner today--24 of us sitting around the table eating like oinkers (except me with my little bites of this and that) meant no leftovers. :lol:

Archived