Home

Thanksgiving Update

DarkStarMojo

From the main page:

DarkStarMojo here.

First, for my friends here in the USA, happy Thanksgiving! For everyone around the orld, I hope today was filled with good friends, good family, and good food and even if you had to put up with another day of work and/or school, you still found time to enjoy with family and friends.

Onto DFMod news. The detention center refit is officially complete. We still have bug testing, some remaining textures to recreate, and organizing all the files into a working release candidate but we're closer than we've ever been. With the holiday season being so hectic I don't think we'll make an xmas release date but I don't foresee the next release being any later than mid-January, barring unforeseen circumstances. So, hang in there. I'll try to put together some new screenshots - probably something from Nar Shada or Jabba's ship since we haven't focused on those levels in a while - for the next update. Hopefully, the one after that will be the announcement you've all been waiting for...

Sounds good, man! Good to hear you've had a good Thanksgiving and that things are coming along.

Just out of curiosity, have you guys figured out how to put the opening crawl before the first mission briefing yet? I don't know anything technical, but I do have some quality noob advice: Jedi Academy does just that. The difference, however, is that it leads into other in-game cutscenes, which in turn lead into the first mission, which does have a (blank) mission briefing screen. I guess this means that they technically had an additional mission set before the "first" mission, which was comprised completely of cutscenes with no gameplay.

Is there any way you could maybe follow this outline with your own opening crawl? Have it and the cutscene of the Moldy Crow descending to the planet as a level in and of itself, which will then end and lead into the Death Star plans mission, beginning with Mon Mothma's briefing?

Or . . . something. As I said, I'm not a modder and I have no idea how these things work. I'm only guessing. Even if that isn't the way it works in Academy, could you use that method here if you can't figure out how they did it? Because having the briefing set before the opening crawl kind of ruins the feeling of it being the opening of the game for me.

Sounds good, man! Good to hear you've had a good Thanksgiving and that things are coming along.

Just out of curiosity, have you guys figured out how to put the opening crawl before the first mission briefing yet? I don't know anything technical, but I do have some quality noob advice: Jedi Academy does just that. The difference, however, is that it leads into other in-game cutscenes, which in turn lead into the first mission, which does have a (blank) mission briefing screen. I guess this means that they technically had an additional mission set before the "first" mission, which was comprised completely of cutscenes with no gameplay.

Is there any way you could maybe follow this outline with your own opening crawl? Have it and the cutscene of the Moldy Crow descending to the planet as a level in and of itself, which will then end and lead into the Death Star plans mission, beginning with Mon Mothma's briefing?

Or . . . something. As I said, I'm not a modder and I have no idea how these things work. I'm only guessing. Even if that isn't the way it works in Academy, could you use that method here if you can't figure out how they did it? Because having the briefing set before the opening crawl kind of ruins the feeling of it being the opening of the game for me.

That's one of those little things that we want to address before the release. It hasn't been a priority thus far and if it ends up causing problems for the release date we'll probably hold off on addressing it until the next release.

Basically, the method you described is exactly how Jedi Academy handled those cutscenes. It's how I intend to have the proper music soundtrack playing in the background during the Talay cutscenes but it's one of the last updates I'm planning before release. The maps/textures/models take priority.

Archived