Home

Getting TSL to run in Win98 w/ USB audio

MechWarrior001

For some reason, TSL hasn't been working in Win98SE with my USB Audio dongle. The game works when I disable audio or remove the device, but it doesn't start up with it. I can't use the integrated audio becuase I can't find the right drivers, and my creative audigy z-something is packed away in storage. What do you guys think?

Unfortunately for me, my cpu (AMD Athlong 1.2ghz Socket A) doesn't support SSE, putting a massive inhibitor on 3D Acceleration abilities in windows XP, despite using pre-SSE drivers for my Nvidia card. (I have a hypothesis that earlier versions of DirectX 9 might not require SSE, but I am unsure). So, this being the case, I am forced to resign to Win98SE for all my gaming.

Is it possible that installing 98 drivers for a USB2.0 controller could somehow cause the game to have sound-related issues?

Unfortunately for me, my cpu (AMD Athlong 1.2ghz Socket A) doesn't support SSE, putting a massive inhibitor on 3D Acceleration abilities in windows XP, despite using pre-SSE drivers for my Nvidia card. (I have a hypothesis that earlier versions of DirectX 9 might not require SSE, but I am unsure). So, this being the case, I am forced to resign to Win98SE for all my gaming.

Is it possible that installing 98 drivers for a USB2.0 controller could somehow cause the game to have sound-related issues?

^^^

It might be that because I use run TSL on a AMD 1.2ghz Duron Socket A in Win98SE, along with a nVidia video card without any problems. Of course I was using the intergrated sound on the motherboard too. But since your intergrated sound on your motherboard doesn't work, you might use a old PCI/AGP sound card (if you can find one) and see if that solves the problem. Not to mention you will need Win98SE drivers for that sound card too.

And that's a real shame about your old AMD 1.2ghz Athlon not working with WinXP very well. I've never had a problem with this AMD 1.2ghz Duron, WinXP works on it very well. As a matter of fact I'm using it right now as I type this, I use it as a dummy computer for internet access and I've been running WinXP with the Duron for years without a hitch. I didn't think there was that much difference between them, but I guess there is.

Sorry I took this long to get back, had a million and one things going on in real life.

I was lucky and skipped the 1.2 and went to the 1.4 w/ SSE before upgrading to my current system so I never had to go through this.

I can't see the USB drivers being the issue, but I've had a lot of issues with random stuff like that, so I'd give it a shot. Otherwise start trawling around the internet for ideas and keep newegg in the back of your mind....

Sorry I can't offer anything more than that. :giveup: If I think of something I'll try to get it to you ASAP unless the issue is resolved by then.

Archived